windshield wiper arms"SLOP" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gentlemen and mudslingers alike, the time has come to fix the windsheild wiper- arm "SLOP".I mean the internal stops that keep the arms on the window glass itself while they are working.I've tightened down the easy to reach nuts that hold down the arms to the axle shafts,and its better but!,before I dig into the wiper motor area and the motion transfer linkage I would like some feedback,as I am sure that my 60 is not the only on with this problem....thanks in advance

I was waiting to see a write-up on this as well, mine's intermitent. Normally my wipers will clear a 4/5 swipe, then periodically they swing all the way to the edge. My temp fix was to RainX everything and often. I've found tho that RainX doesn't work with mud... maybe there's a MudX...

There are some plastic bearings on the connecting linkage under the cowl. The bearings fail after about 20 years. If you remove the wiper motor and the associated rods you'll likely see the problem. I'm not sure what the OE $ fix is, but I was able to mount some steel bearings in the rod ends.

Ha I am experiencing this same issue. I will be watching this thread closely. Sorry I can't help.

Chris

I spoke to the toyota dealership and they said ,"you must buy all new linkage to get the new plastic inserts,for only $217. and that does't include the motor"......well toyota you can kindly GO - - - - YOURSELF!!!.......we,re all very clever and resourceful mud- slingers and we will find a solution at a fraction of that cost

Same problem! I've re-positioned the arms on the shafts a couple of times & the driver's side still slops over the A-pillar 1 out of 4 cycles. And I deal with windshield wipers daily as part of replacing windshields (OK, my guys do & I do sometimes).

Will PM 60WAG to divulge his fix to the world.

Wow after ready all of the posts so far I can see that I not the only one with the problem, I wish I could help but I've done all the stuff that pretty much everyone here said and I've had no luck. Hopefully someone here can give us the answer to the problem.

Hmmm... Maybe there's a marketable product here. I found some sphereical rod end bearings. Some thing like this http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-187.htm but without the threaded rod attached. I made a bushing that I could press the bearing into and then press the bushing in to the loop on the end of the wiper rod. I think I might have some more of the bearings here somewhere. On Monday I'll see if I can find the bearings or at least the part number for them. I've got a drawing of the bushing also. I'll either post some pics and instructions or I might make up some repair sets for you. Check back on Monday or Tuesday.

60wag said:
Hmmm... Maybe there's a marketable product here. I found some sphereical rod end bearings. Some thing like this http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-187.htm but without the threaded rod attached. I made a bushing that I could press the bearing into and then press the bushing in to the loop on the end of the wiper rod. I think I might have some more of the bearings here somewhere. On Monday I'll see if I can find the bearings or at least the part number for them. I've got a drawing of the bushing also. I'll either post some pics and instructions or I might make up some repair sets for you. Check back on Monday or Tuesday.

Bruce, dude, you're a 60 series genius.

What a riot. I thought I was the only one with posessed wiper blades. I don't know how often I've been driving along counting how many swipes I got before it went nuts. :doh: I've given up though.

I'll take this one step further: when I turn on my wipers to the first int. setting, it takes the full pause length of time before my wipers take off. What's up with that?

And a little tip: instead of wasting your money on Rain-X, next time you have a few minutes, wax your windshield - do a couple of coats - with the same wax you use on your paint. Water will bead up and clear off much more easily.

Ok, here's the update. There are two linkage rods in the wiper system. One connects the two wiper pivots together - this one has small bearings on both ends (6mm id). The other rod connects the motor to the pass side wiper pivot - this rod had has larger bearings on both ends (10mm id.) The fix Ive done before involved the motor rod with the large bearings. Both of the 60s I've had failed on the motor rod. I don't have any of the old bearings left but I have talked to my local bearing distributor and he is trying to locate some. I have also found the smaller bearing or at least a part number that should work. I don't know yet what the cost or availablilty of the bearings is. Unfortunately the cheap common bearings are too large od so I had to go to the aerospace screwball ones.

What I need from you all is to know if you have a failed motor rod or a failed pivot to pivot rod. If the motor rod is loose, both wiper arms should move together and have the same amount of slop. If the pivot-pivot rod is bad, the driver side arm should be loose while the pass side has less slop. If we can determine that the pivot-pivot small bearings don't fail, then I won't worry about them and will focus one the motor rod fix. Does that make sense?

Lastly, how many of you would be interested in buying a pair of replacement bearings? I'm guessing the pair of bearings mounted in my custom bushings would be around $25-$35. I'll know better when I get a firm price on the bearings. One drawback of my fix is that the OE rubber boots don't fit over the bearing so they don't stay as clean but I had a set working just fine after 5 years when I sold my '82.

Bruce

mongoman said:
I spoke to the toyota dealership and they said ,"you must buy all new linkage to get the new plastic inserts,for only $217. and that does't include the motor"......well toyota you can kindly GO - - - - YOURSELF!!!.......we,re all very clever and resourceful mud- slingers and we will find a solution at a fraction of that cost

Those proces must have sky rocketed over the years. About 5 years ago I got the whole assembly less the motor from SOR (of all places) for less than $90.

Some more info on the wiper linkage bearing fix…. Not many comments on which size bearing fix you guys need, so I’ll assume your waiting for a price on the bearings. I still haven’t gotten it yet but I have found another supplier who has the right size in their catalog. We’ll see if they have any in stock.

I did find another drawing of a part I made and totally forgot about. These are in my current 60 and have been for three years. It is another way to fix the broken plastic bearing in the motor relay rod. I reused the plastic part that snaps onto the brass ball from the original assembly. What breaks off is the plastic washer-like flange on the other side of the metal rod end. My fix is a metal clip to hold the usable part of the plastic bearing in place without the broken washer.

In the first pic, the bottom one is repaired, the top one is an unbroken original end.
The second pic is a front view. Left repaired, right is unbroken.

These I can make easily. Maybe you can too but maybe not. How’s $15 a pair sound, shipping included. You’ll have them by Christmas, maybe sooner.

Let me know what you think.
Bruce
rod end fix 1.jpg
rod end fix 2.jpg

my plastic crap cups broke on the highway in heavy traffic with a downpour. at the time my solution was to make an aluminum plate that screwed onto the rods. deffinately bush fix. since my plate is held into place with the circlip. maybe a company like sor or ccot etc can be called to have a aftermarket solution for the plastic cups. i think there is enough need to make it happen

Hmmm…. Its awfully quite out there. I was hoping for a more enthusiastic response to my offer. Anyhow I found some of the spherical bearings to replace the plastic OE ones. The pricing is ok and they appear to be available. I’ll order some if I get at least three people to place an order with me. So, if your old bearings are unusable, I can supply a new bearing mounted in a bushing that can be pressed into the rod end - $30/pair. If the old bearing just won’t stay in the rod end, I can make a new retaining clip – 15$/pair. I’m going to try to do a run of retaining clips this weekend. Hopefully they’ll be made of stainless steel.

Need something else made? PM me. I’m itching to make some Cruiser parts.
Bruce

Plastic bearing repair clips

I made some of the OE plastic bearing repair clips over the weekend. They're made of 303 stainless steel so they won't rust. They snap onto the wiper linkage rod connecting the motor crank to the wiper pivots. $15/pair delivered. 100% refundable if you don't like them, just end them back. PM with questions.

Bruce
wiper rings.JPG

Cold weather is returning, wipers will be freezing to windshields and plastic bearings will soon be breaking. Uh huh.... anyhow, I've still got the repair clips available. PM me if interested.

I just PM'd you. I'm interested in giving it a try.

I got a set of those repair clips from 60wag. Worked well for me.
It sure beats spending $200 at the dealer for the whole assembly.

60wag said:
Hmmm…. Its awfully quite out there. I was hoping for a more enthusiastic response to my offer. Anyhow I found some of the spherical bearings to replace the plastic OE ones. The pricing is ok and they appear to be available. I’ll order some if I get at least three people to place an order with me. So, if your old bearings are unusable, I can supply a new bearing mounted in a bushing that can be pressed into the rod end - $30/pair. If the old bearing just won’t stay in the rod end, I can make a new retaining clip – 15$/pair. I’m going to try to do a run of retaining clips this weekend. Hopefully they’ll be made of stainless steel.

Need something else made? PM me. I’m itching to make some Cruiser parts.
Bruce

Well, My driver side is very sloppy and my rear glass wiper is resting on the bottom of the window seal but can fall another 1/2" lower.

As far as other Cruiser Parts. I'd like a swing away rear bumper bicycle repair stand. I have a professional work stand that is totally portable, but a semi-permanant swing out stand (maybe dual- one on each side) would be awesome. With a jerry can attatchment and hi-lift jack attatchment and a axe attatchment and some computer hacking skills and some bow hunting skills.... sorry. Got a little wet there.

Any fix for the rear wiper?

You know, your not the first to suggest a rear mounted bike work stand. I'll have to give that one some more thought.

As for the rear wiper, I haven't had one apart yet because mine still works. Next best option is to replace it. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8003130982

I think there's at least 16 minutes left :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom