Installed some eclipses today, went pretty easily and sounds GREAT! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I went and picked up some Eclipses today to replace the tired and crackling stock speakers. I got the SE8353 5-1/4" 3-ways for the front and the SE8243 4" Coaxials for the back. I wanted to retain the stock appearance, and I accomplished that.

Front installation:
In order for the fronts to clear the window tracks I took the Eclipse supplied grill ring(the black plastic ring that holds the actual grill on) and turned it around backwards. This makes a perfect spacer for between the door and the speaker. Then I just wired it up and screwed it in. Very simple

Rear installation:
The rears were a little more involved since the stock plastic "basket" that holds the stock speakers is pretty much molded to fit the speaker that was there. I cut the back out of th basket. This allowed the eclipses to set all the way back. The next problem to contend with is that the 4" speakers have 4 corners and the stock grill has 3 clips. These two patterns cannot happily co-exist. Therefore I had to cut off two corners(next to eachother, not opposing corners) in order for the grill to snap back on. In theory you could cut all of the corners off since you don't use them to secure the speaker, but I wanted to do as little cutting to the speakers as possible to avoid heat damage and possible mishaps. The speaker now fits perfectly in the basket and behind the grill, but how do you secure it? The answer lies in 3M double-sided tape. Wrap the tape around the circumfrence of the speaker and press it into the basket. Now that the speaker is secured to the basket, wire the speaker, screw the basket back onto the door, and snap the grill back on. You're done!

I would rate this as a 1.5 banana job. Fairly easy to do, but requires some forethought and close attention to detail so you don't mess anything up. If you have any questions feel free. I would have loved to have taken pictures, but my digi is in MD and I'm in Virginia Beach.

Oh, I guess you might be interested in how it sounds! It sounds great with just the factory power. I had been contemplating installing the amp from my Jeep, but I don't think it will be necessary. I have a Phoenix Gold Titanium 10" sub with 800 watts to it in the back(way overkill) and it nicely complements the stereo on its lowest setting, but is completely unnecessary for a good full-range of sound. I did disconnect the dash speakers, but not the overheads in the way back. They will be disconnected shortly as I plan to install cargo lights behind those grills in the near future.

Ary

Thanks for the post Arya! I have been thinking about replacing the head unit and speakers in my rig for a litle while now. Been researching what would be best. Sounds like simple process. I was thinking of going all out but seems from Searching that just going the basic route of Eclipse front and rear and putting in 10" sub w/ aftermarket amp will do the job. Will keep posted on what happens. Thanks for your input on your install.

Steve

Arya

Lets see some pictures of the front speakers installed showing the revesered plastic ring

Joe

Big_Moose said:
Arya

Lets see some pictures of the front speakers installed showing the revesered plastic ring

Joe

You want me to tear the whole door apart just so I can take a pic for you?! Damn you're demanding :flipoff2:

Like I said in the original post, I don't have a camera available or I would have documented it all with pictures. The fronts really were as easy as flipping the ring over and screwing the speakers in. If I have a free minute and a camera at the same time I'll try and get some pics for you guys. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'll even be keeping the cruiser after the wreck it was in last week. Should have a good idea tomorrow.

Ary

Eclipse front speakers

I just did the front portion of this to my 91. Excellent. It was easier than cutting the speakers and door panels that I have seen in other threads. One additional comment: I had to remove the existing plastic screw nuts and use the metal clips that came with the Eclipse.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Ok, I went and picked up some Eclipses today to replace the tired and crackling stock speakers. I got the SE8353 5-1/4" 3-ways for the front and the SE8243 4" Coaxials for the back. I wanted to retain the stock appearance, and I accomplished that.

Front installation:
In order for the fronts to clear the window tracks I took the Eclipse supplied grill ring(the black plastic ring that holds the actual grill on) and turned it around backwards. This makes a perfect spacer for between the door and the speaker. Then I just wired it up and screwed it in. Very simple

dekuiper said:
I just did the front portion of this to my 91. Excellent. It was easier than cutting the speakers and door panels that I have seen in other threads. One additional comment: I had to remove the existing plastic screw nuts and use the metal clips that came with the Eclipse.

It is a good upgrade. I think you are confusing the cutting speakers part-----that is necessary for the rear speakers, not the front. There are many different ways to get them in the front doors, as you found out, I sort of went to extraordinary lengths to get them sealed to the door, and used Dynamat as well. That write up is in the FAQ section, and has the photos that Ary didn't take when he did his :flipoff2:

I didn't cut the door panels, either, but either my speaker "gaskets" I made to make the fit to the door air-tight or the dynamat made re-installing the panels a very tight fit....maybe notching the panel a bit like you saw might alleviate the difficulty in getting the clips to re-grab, I don't know.

Best bang for the buck mod I've done so far (not to mention one of the ONLY mods I've done so far!! :D )

With using the Eclipse speaker grill turned over, does the stock grill get pushed out or is there still enough room to accomodate the spacer ring and have the door panel still sit flush as if it were the stock install?

I found the older 5 1/4" 2 ways that I plan to install this weekend. Rear speakers suck as everyone else has noted but do not hear any cracking so assume they are not blown.

Dave

My door panel sits flush and does not bulge at all.

As an update, I blew one of the fronts and the other is on its way out. I credit this largely to turning them up too loud with the stock head unit. The power up high is very "dirty" and distorts the speaker. When I replace these I will definately be installing a 4-channel amp. You just can't beat the cleanliness of the power, even in a cheap amp, compared to a headunit.

Ary, last year I followed your post and installed the same Eclipses front and back (thanks). It was a pretty easy task and alot cleaner than most. Oddly enough just this week I notice the ds front speaker may be going as well. I'm guilty of the occasional head banging session too. This mod is easy enough that the work doesn't bother me, just thought the Eclipse's would hold up better. I am going to look into the Amp thing to clean up the sound as well.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll try to keep the volume down :)

My door panel sits flush and does not bulge at all.

As an update, I blew one of the fronts and the other is on its way out. I credit this largely to turning them up too loud with the stock head unit. The power up high is very "dirty" and distorts the speaker. When I replace these I will definately be installing a 4-channel amp. You just can't beat the cleanliness of the power, even in a cheap amp, compared to a headunit.

I blew one of mine within two weeks!!!

X2 on the amp thing....Next time I go in (my Alpine head unit is toast, I think the :princess: jammed two CDs in it) I want to give it some powa

Ary, last year I followed your post and installed the same Eclipses front and back (thanks). It was a pretty easy task and alot cleaner than most. Oddly enough just this week I notice the ds front speaker may be going as well. I'm guilty of the occasional head banging session too. This mod is easy enough that the work doesn't bother me, just thought the Eclipse's would hold up better. I am going to look into the Amp thing to clean up the sound as well.

FWIW, When I was buying my sub and amp at Circuit City, the install guy asked what I was doing, and it turns out Infinity makes a speaker the same or close to the Eclipse...

They don't stock them in the showrooms, but he can order it....he keeps a pair or two around all the time because they are that handy to have...They don't even show up on their retail catalog from what he told me.

I just completed the install of my front door speakers. The Eclipse grill rim worked great as a spacer. It did require going in on an angle for 2 of the screws but did torque down tight. The wiring piece was pretty easy and is good to point out your neg/pos wires. The door panels came off easy without any damage to the particle board.

The speaker with spacer does slightly push up the door panel but all of the clips seated tightly so you can't tell unless you really look close--should not be an issue.

Whole job took 1 hour and 15 minutes and I went slow and took my time.

Stock CD player sounds great. Now I just need to remember to not over drive the speakers so I don't blow them. 3/4 volume with balance and fader in the middle sounds pretty darn good.

Thanks for everyone's tips and suggestions!!!!

Dave

No hope in hell for some 6 3/4" comps then, huh??

Strange--I just replaced my speakers with the 5 1/4" 2 ways and already hear distortion when I have the bass turned up and medium volume. What gives? Could these be on their way to being blown already? Or is this a major crossover issue? Or finally--do I have to install the 4 way amp to solve the problem?

Very frustrating!

Dave

You're probably trying to get too much bass out of a 5 1/4" speaker. You either have to accept the lack of bass out of the stock system, install a sub, or blow your speakers over a short period of time.

Keep in mind the Eclipses are a sensative speaker that helps make up for the lack of power of the stock head unit/amp. That said, there is only so much you can do with the stock unit. If you are turning up the stock head unit to 3/4, there is no question you are clipping amp in the head unit very badly. Clipping an amp regularly will distroy speakers quickly, no matter what the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom