Low Oil Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have given advice to some out there on how to fix the sticky low oil light.
Have anyone tried it yet?
The wife said it came on for a short time then turned off. It was on flat ground.
The oil is only 1/2 qt low.
I need to take my own advice and clean it but wanted to see if my advice works before I fallow it.

I have done this on a Previa van and it fixed the problem. It was dirty. Sanded the slide to remove the crud so the slide would slide just like ky.

landtoy80 said:
I wanted to see if my advice works before I fallow it.

ROTFLMFAO..........................:D

Vintage Kurt there folks..........................:D :beer:

Mine was on for about a week, about the same part of road every morning. The level was full, but I was due for a change. After I changed the oil, the light no longer comes on.

Don't know what your advice was but on the LC the mounting bracket can get cocked and give early warnings of a low oil condition.

So what do you base you're advice on, tumbling chicken bones, the time the sun rises, a good dump, doesn't seem personal experience plays into it.

Sorry Kurt. I'm sure you didn't mean for this to be funny....but it is! :D

We should make this one a sticky. :D

landtank said:
Don't know what your advice was but on the LC the mounting bracket can get cocked and give early warnings of a low oil condition.

So what do you base you're advice on, tumbling chicken bones, the time the sun rises, a good dump, doesn't seem personal experience plays into it.

Looking at the FSM the oil level sensor is not like the Previa but if it has moving parts then cleaning and LUBING should do the trick.

I scanned the pic but I can't get the manage attachments to work???

How can the bracket get cocked? If its able to move in the crankcase, should it be replaced? It would due damage if it gets too cocked.

The sensor comes out the side of the pan. The sensor itself is bolted to a metal standoff sorta thing and the standoff is bolted to the base. It is bolted at each end with only 1 screw, so things can get out of wack and the sensor won't be sitting correctly in there. Since the assembly seal is an o-ring you should be able to remove it without any damage and reuse that seal.

Thanks Kurt, i'll remember when you give advise next time that you are giving it with your fingers crossed. Funny though..........sorry, hadn't tried to fix it. I just add a little oil.

The low oil light flashed the wife today.
I will have to dig in motor and see how that bugger works. I am sure a good cleaning and....
I will take pic's

I took out the oil level sensor and IT is like I said it would be :flipoff2:
Its a float type sensor. Its improved over the Previa so it would take a lot of oil crud to stop the float movement. But it could happen.

Landtank <the mounting bracket can get cocked>
I don't know what you have rolling around in your motor :flipoff2: but the sensor I have would need a big hammer flopping around in the oil pan to crock it. The bracket is very stout.

I couldn't figure out how it works. I tested it with a multimeter and it doesn't turn off and on as you move the float.
Be careful when replaciing the O-ring as the plastic on the float shaft is brittle. I broke a little off mine so Cdan might get a call soon :mad:

The reason my low oil light went off this time was becouse the oil was low, I see I have a oil leak :eek: some where around the power steering pump. Oil was dripping off it.

On my sensor the arm that goes from the sensor body down to the float was a little crooked or cocked to one side. Given the size of the oil pan I thought that 1 quart of oil difference wouldn't be that much in height so a crooked sensor would apt to give a false reading. It didn't take a hammer to move it either.

Rick, did you replace it or bend it back?
Do you know how it got crocked???

OT
My Pro Comp Aterrains tires might come tomorrow if I call before the truck leaves the dock.
Did you use lead rim weighs to balance the tires? Do you have them rebalanced every 5000mi?

I'm not sure the sensors are the same Kurt. I just straightened mine out. Maybe I'll pull it tomorrow and take another look but I'm in the middle of repairing a leak. I let the guys at the tire shop balance them with whatever they want, lead weights I beleive. I'm the worst example of tire maintenance, never check the air unless coming off the beach, never rotate, never re-balance just drive the bitches. Never any problems either.

Oil light came on today. First time ever, just for a second then went off. So naturally I shut her down & popped the hood to inspect, but nothing. Oil level was fine, about 2/3 the way up between low & full on the dipstick, about a minute after I shut the truck off. back at home after about 5 minutes, the oil level was right at the full line. Just changed it about 3 weeks ago, put in exactly 8 quarts using 20004 filter, what I've always done. My engine doesn't burn oil, doesn't drip any.. I never add any between changes and I check it religiously. Any thoughts?

So I find myself at this thread.. to remove the oil level sensor, does anything else have to come off? From the picture it looks like perhaps not, but then again it's hard to say, and it's too late to get into it today, thought I'd post first for a change... ;)
oil_parts.jpg

I just removed the bolts and replaced the gasket when I installed it.

Becareful when cleaning the sensor. The plastic on the slide is brittle.

My owners manual states that it's normal for the oil light to come one breifly, but if it stay's on for an extended time you should check your oil Mine comes one like this at least once when I first drive, but quickly goes off. It used to do this for extended periods even when oil was totally full, but switching to Mobil 1, from standard oil must have fixed this. I keep an eye on my oil level whether the light is on or not. Unless the light comes on and stays on and your level is perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the jinx guys.
My oil light flashed me yesterday for a very short time.
The oil level is down only about a 1/2qt.

LOL... ih8mudchondriasis, strikes again! Before I pull the sensor, I'm going to try adding a little more oil.. won't go any higher than 1/4" past full though. And I will officially not worry about it, thanks for the comments guys!

I've had mine flicker once a year or so since it was new 12 years ago. I always chalked it up to very good sensitive sensor. Never stays on more than a few seconds and updates itself that all is OK. I wouldn't sweat it, but I'd certainly be happy my wifey was observant enough to see it!!

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom