Two questions on timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been wanting to adjust my timing, or at least see if it's ok but I'm running into a strange problem. If I leave the two vacuum hoses connected to the distributor I can see the timing mark at 13-14 degrees. However, if I remove and plug those lines as mentioned in the FSM I can no longer find the timing mark, even if I step through all 180 degrees on the timing gun.

Secondly, I loosened the bolt at the base of the distributor but the darn thing won't budge even if I tap it with a hammer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

My guess would be that your non-vacuum distributor caused the timing to be retarded, by how much I do not know. There is a centrifugal advance built into your distributor, but that might not be enough to bring the BB into view. Does your timing light only measure advance? In regard to getting your distributor to turn, can you get some PB Blaster or something in there? Be carefult that you do not pull up on the distributor and disengage the oil pump driver on the end of the distributor shaft.

My timing light does only measure advance. I did notice that with the vacuum hoses attached and the rig running at 2000 rpms the timing was 6. Is that normal?

set timing at idle speed 650 or so.....all vac hoses disconnected and plugged..

grant5127, when I do that I cannot read the mark at any setting on the gun from 0 - 180 advance. I can only get a reading if my vac hoses are connected and thats at 13 degrees at idle.

By the way, is this the bolt that loosens the distributor for setting timing? This is the one I loosened but it didn't loosen the distributor at all. It looks like the PO had some difficulties as well, those marks aren't mine!
dist.jpg

squirt some PB Blaster or something around the base of the distributor and let soak for a bit... they tend to be ornery at times.. what does it look like under the distributor cap??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom