help, i broke my nut!! ...actually its a bolt...for the valve cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 96 FZJ with 186k and have been noticing a leak around the valve cover/gasket. i have been planning on replacing the gasket, but checked first to see if the cover was on tight enough. well, it wasn't. and the bolt closest to the firewall on the passenger side was so loose i could turn it by hand. i got pretty excited and i began tightening it up (with the torque wrench) before the engine cooled and...snap. :doh: i guess in my excitement, i got a little too fast tightening it down. oh well, done is done. just looking for some ideas on how best to get what's left of it out.
small broken bolt 1.JPG

valve cover

I'd take the cover off & try to grab what is still there with some vise-grips... bet it will come right out from there...and then just slap a new gasket on... very easy...oh & get a new bolt too...you'll spend more time using a bolt-out & that's redundant @ this point...lokk @ it as a reason to do the gasket now... less than a hour @ most & your done!

Is that the outside of your valve cover? Yeesh I thought I had a messy engine compartment! Time for some Mud OCD cleaning... but yes, pull the cover now it will come right out with vise grips, especially considering how well lubricated it is.....

Is that the outside of your valve cover? Yeesh I thought I had a messy engine compartment! Time for some Mud OCD cleaning... but yes, pull the cover now it will come right out with vise grips, especially considering how well lubricated it is.....
yeah, you like that?! i know, it's a mess. i cleaned it about 6 months ago in hopes that i would find out where the leak was coming from. no doubt i need to start (probably should've started a long time ago) with replacing the valve cover... thanks for the help.

Props on the photo. You can probably remove that with your fingers if there's enough sticking out after removing the valve cover. Expect to spend more time on the gasket R&R than one hour though. You might consider replacing the spark plug tube gaskets cause they start to get pretty brittle after 10 plus years. They are a bit of a PITA to get out and replace. May want to order an extra in case you screw one up.

:beer:
Rookie2

sooooo

the next time your still hot, be careul when wrenching on your bolt...cause it's just like busting a nut...& keep a towel handy for that mess...

sage advice.
the valve cover bolt; is that a standard bolt, that's easy to find a replacement for? where would you recommend finding a replacement? thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom