Antenna replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got around last night to doing my antenna replacement. The PO had installed a cheap fixed antenna (no adjustment) that was crooked, bent, wobbly and would not tighten:

photo 1.JPG

So I ordered a Toyota factory replacement from Onur and installed it last night:

photo 3.JPG

As with any LC project there were complications. The POS installed by the PO was frozen together and had bent the edges of the antenna hole, so it took a while to remove and I had to do a little remedial work:

Antenna Repair.JPG

The factory antenna is superior to any aftermarket because it comes with a brace that bolts the bottom of the antenna to the fender. It is rock solid once it's on. If you need a new antenna this is the way to go.

Cool, I've been needing to do this. How long would it have taken you without the extra work you had to do to the fender? I've still got the original but it's broken.

Probably would have been an hour or so if you include the time to route the new cable to the radio. I took my glove box out and that gave me access to everything without having to remove the radio.

The factory antenna is superior to any aftermarket because it comes with a brace that bolts the bottom of the antenna to the fender. It is rock solid once it's on. If you need a new antenna this is the way to go.

Until you hit a tree branch and it bends the tar out of it and the fender.

Toyota stuff is nice, but for a 4x4 I prefer a antenna that is flexible.

If you are contentious enough to do that then cool. Personally, I would forget rapidly. Kinda like the automated car washers. They kill antennas at all the time.

I like that a lot and it's been on my "to do" list for quite some time.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the new antenna? I assume that my up down motor is intact. Was yours or did what you order include it? I have a spring type antenna that was on when I bought the 62 twenty years ago. Need to remedy that.

After installing an aftermarket manual up/down antenna.....dissatisfaction with the quality led me straight back to OEM. It was not solid even with the fender bracket installation. As always there is a lot to be said for OEM. Even do...when this antenna has a mishap....it would be nice to easily find a solid manual antenna at a reasonable price.

I replaced mine with aftermarket only because I hated staring at a broken antenna lol.

I like that a lot and it's been on my "to do" list for quite some time.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the new antenna? I assume that my up down motor is intact. Was yours or did what you order include it? I have a spring type antenna that was on when I bought the 62 twenty years ago. Need to remedy that.

Sorry, I have been out for a few days. The factory antenna was $49.21.

That's actually a lot better priced than I'd expect. :)

Yea I was pleasantly surprised. I ordered it from Beno so that was with the MUD discount. His shipping prices are very fair and I would recommend purchasing through him.

Beno is a good dude. Can't recommend him enough for stock parts.

Do you think you could pass along that part number for the factory antenna you got from Beno?
I presume that is not an electric, but a manual?

FJ60 manual antenna 86300-90A12. My replacement arrived yesterday.

uploadfromtaptalk1421898037176.jpg

Sorry, I have been out for a few days. The factory antenna was $49.21.
I'll be. 2X my springer antenna, but worlds less than I'd figured...

Checking back in....yeah, that's a lot less than what I would have expected.

So Chris, does the antenna raise and lower electrically? I assume for this price that it would be the antenna only. Hopefully the motor that I have is still intact and working after 20+ years. I will look for "Beno" in the merchandise department and get started on this.

Thanks........

Yea it's just the mechanical antenna for the 60. I believe the electric antenna is a different part # but it does appear you can just replace the mast if your motor is good. Cool Cruisers advertises them for $53. Beno (his real name is Onur) will get you a price with a hefty MUD discount and his shipping prices are very fair compared to some of the other vendors I have ordered from.

Contact info:

1. Emails (quickest response time): oazeri@nalleycars.com

2. Phone: Direct line: 678-987-6423

3. PM's: Username: "beno"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom