New to the 200 Club... let the journey begin!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been a mud member for many years (mostly in the 80’s forum, as I’m on my 4th 80). New to the 200 club, and figured I would start a thread for this new (to me) Cruiser! I have to start by giving a shout out to the previous/original owner (@Atwalz) who transformed this truck into what it is today… an extremely capable, luxury SUV! He documented the build over the years, so attaching a link to that thread here, in case anyone wants to read-up on the history:

Builds - Atwalz 2013 TLC 200 Build Thread. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/atwalz-2013-tlc-200-build-thread.864824/

As much as I love the 80-series platform, it was getting a bit cramped as the kids got older (they are now 14 & 9), so I had been considering a 200 for a few months now. Rented a stock 200 on Turo for a family trip a few months ago to see how we liked it… we ended-up loving it! This particular 200 checks all the boxes… comfort, space, capability, power, towing, etc., so when I saw the build sheet and the blood/sweat/tears the PO had dedicated towards it, it was a no brainer in deciding to be the next custodian of this amazing build! Hoping to create some memories in this rig over the next few years, and also learn more about the 200-series platform along the way!

Pictures are from when I got it a couple of weeks ago.

20240213_171140.jpg

20240213_171128.jpg

20240213_171214.jpg

20240213_171157.jpg

Current build sheet:

20240301_124019.jpg

Same here. Didn't personally know the original owner but lots of threads on it.

Welcome to the 200 club and enjoy that nice build with the family!

And it’s done the Rubicon. (Photo credit @kreiten )
View attachment 3571168

Yeah, he mentioned that, but I didn't have any evidence, lol! 😉 Thank you for sharing the picture!

welcome. @Lankan nice truck

didnt know @Atwalz sold the truck. Was one of my favorite builds
Thank you! Wondering if there are other 200's with the BDS/similar lift??

Reason I ask is being the only item I would like to improve if possible, is it feels like it needs stronger sway bars... as it feels a bit too responsive to small steering inputs, and feels a bit "tippy"/sways a little before The OEM sway bars take control. Maybe this is something I have to live with, for having a 200 with a 4.5" lift? I've already gotten used to it, but think it will scare my wife, if she has to help with driving on longer road trips.

Same here. Didn't personally know the original owner but lots of threads on it.

Welcome to the 200 club and enjoy that nice build with the family!

I didn't know him before this transaction, but he went above and beyond from the time he listed it/when I reached out, and has been a wealth of information and super helpful with all my questions... truly a classy guy!

It was pulling to the right a bit, so the first thing I got done was a 4-wheel alignment... tracks straight as an arrow now!

20240213_153233.jpg

looking at alignment place - I was taking my NSX there - I will say hi neighbor

Small world! We should meet-up sometime... I'll PM you. Sarkis (the owner/operator of that alignment shop) is the best alignment guy I've come across, and have taken multiple vehicles to him already with excellent results!!

This thing may have been built before rear panhard correction was a thing, and I don’t see it explicitly mentioned in the build sheet. So the odd dynamics at steering initiation could be related.

Might be worth checking the panhard angle and correcting if it hasn’t been done..

Congrats on the awesome rig, and welcome to the sub-forum!

This thing may have been built before rear panhard correction was a thing, and I don’t see it explicitly mentioned in the build sheet. So the odd dynamics at steering initiation could be related.

Might be worth checking the panhard angle and correcting if it hasn’t been done..

Congrats on the awesome rig, and welcome to the sub-forum!
Thank you for the warm welcome, as well as the input on the steering sensitivity!

The previous owner left few stones unturned with regards to the level of detail in everything he did. The rear panhard correction wasn't mentioned in the build sheet, however it was done. It's somewhere in the previous owners 24-page build thread that I included in the first post.

Congrats on the new rig! Certainly are hitting the ground running with this build.

Something that may be playing a roll in the overly sensitive steering feel is your low caster numbers in your alignemnt.
This is something i have felt first hand when my numbers were in the 1 degree of positve caster....due to an incompetent tech.
The tundra calls for between 1.9 to 3.4 degrees of positive castor and the 200 calls for even a little more caster to be dialed in.
I would start with getting the alignment adjusted to increase caster up to ideally 3 or more degrees if the cams are able to be adjusted that much. If not i would settle for something above 2.5 degrees. With My 2.5-3" lift and 34"s it is noticeably more stable with caster near or above 3 degrees.

Congrats on the new rig! Certainly are hitting the ground running with this build.

Something that may be playing a roll in the overly sensitive steering feel is your low caster numbers in your alignemnt.
This is something i have felt first hand when my numbers were in the 1 degree of positve caster....due to an incompetent tech.
The tundra calls for between 1.9 to 3.4 degrees of positive castor and the 200 calls for even a little more caster to be dialed in.
I would start with getting the alignment adjusted to increase caster up to ideally 3 or more degrees if the cams are able to be adjusted that much. If not i would settle for something above 2.5 degrees. With My 2.5-3" lift and 34"s it is noticeably more stable with caster near or above 3 degrees.

This helps... thank you! I already spoke to the alignment guy and going in later this week for a few adjustments that he recommended based on my feedback. He did say he was going to increase the caster and also the camber. Will post an update afterwards!

Removed the snorkel, roof rack, and ladder for ceramic coating! Here are a few "before" pictures:

20240225_160002.jpg

20240225_154319.jpg

20240225_160016.jpg

20240213_171140.jpg

20240224_094022.jpg

Some progress pictures...

P1808352.JPG

IMG_7519.jpg

730692519.jpg

730688960.jpg

After pics of the exterior. Also got the interior carpets shampooed, leather cleaned/conditioned, and head lights polished and sealed!

20240228_173104.jpg

20240228_173153.jpg

20240228_173145.jpg

20240228_173209.jpg

20240228_172857.jpg

The shop I used post their work on Instagram:

They exceeded my expectations and their attention to detail and customer service was excellent!

For those of you in SoCal, they have a variety of products/services they offer which include ceramic coating, PPF, paint correction, wraps, etc.

They exceeded my expectations and their attention to detail and customer service was excellent!

For those of you in SoCal, they have a variety of products/services they offer which include ceramic coating, PPF, paint correction, wraps, etc.

Looks great.
Most of the exterior paint work is in the prep. Hours of polishing depending how many levels they did. Putting on the coating and wiping down is the easy part.

Truck will stay much cleaner now with a good hydrophobic coating on it and make future washing easier.

Enjoy the new ride!!!

thinking of using them on a sports car

Looks great.
Most of the exterior paint work is in the prep. Hours of polishing depending how many levels they did. Putting on the coating and wiping down is the easy part.

Truck will stay much cleaner now with a good hydrophobic coating on it and make future washing easier.

Enjoy the new ride!!!

Yeah, they typically do new/newer cars, so the prep is minimal (much less than what they had to do on mine). I think the guys that did my truck had to put in much more work than they typically do, and they did say it was the vehicle that they have seen the biggest transformation on! :)

thinking of using them on a sports car
If you check their Instagram, majority of their clients are getting sports cars done (PPF & ceramic)... and they tend to be high-end ones as well. The condition of the paint on this truck didn't warrant PPF and I didn't want to spend that kind of money anyway... just wanted to bring back to life and protect what was already there.

I have a sports car as well that I'll be getting the front end PPF done at this shop, however need to re-spray the front end first before that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom