What Did You Do To Your Diesel Today (WDYDTYDT) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hilux Timing belt, water pump, idler pullies and accessory belts, seals, new hoses, thermostat, 12 Blade fan, viscous coupling, fluids etc etc.
IMG_1601 Large.jpeg

IMG_1600 Large.jpeg

IMG_1603 Large.jpeg

fabricated a custom mount and installed an astra electric power steering pump. Now just need to plumb and wire it and then I will have power steering without the parasitic drag of a normal belt driven pump.

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9251.jpeg

fired up the old 60 thats been sitting a while. started up fine. Had previously noticed it was a bit more sensitive to glow time and stumbled and smoked if i didn't glow a lot (and after glow). so figured start with checking the basics.
decided to do a compression test since I'd never checked it in the 16 years I've owned the truck.
#1 400
#2 385
#3 360
#4 390
Redid #3 and got the same reading. then slight increase with a small spray of oil for wet test (375). So not a great result given the spread highest to lowest. right around 10% lower on that cylinder. disappointing not quite bad enough that I feel a need to do much about it yet. Will check valve lash. think its been about 100k. Then just run it this summer if all goes well.
Other observations. All the glow plugs came out looking similar. #2 injector is a bit greasy i presume from fuel leakage. Wouldn't hurt to deal with that as well i suppose.

IMG_1794[1]a.JPG

IMG_1787a.JPG

IMG_1785a.JPG

My turbocharged b in cold weather is a devil to get glowed correct.
We took him for a fun ride tonight. It is in the 50s here in Illinois.
My BJ 73 arrived in Montana today, can't wait to get home and drive it.

4142405690660967225.jpg

fired up the old 60 thats been sitting a while. started up fine. Had previously noticed it was a bit more sensitive to glow time and stumbled and smoked if i didn't glow a lot (and after glow). so figured start with checking the basics.
decided to do a compression test since I'd never checked it in the 16 years I've owned the truck.
#1 400
#2 385
#3 360
#4 390
Redid #3 and got the same reading. then slight increase with a small spray of oil for wet test (375). So not a great result given the spread highest to lowest. right around 10% lower on that cylinder. disappointing not quite bad enough that I feel a need to do much about it yet. Will check valve lash. think its been about 100k. Then just run it this summer if all goes well.
Other observations. All the glow plugs came out looking similar. #2 injector is a bit greasy i presume from fuel leakage. Wouldn't hurt to deal with that as well i suppose.

View attachment 3564367

View attachment 3564366

View attachment 3564365
yes, crush washers for the spill rail have failed it seems, they are aluminum, follow torque spec, it could be the injector crush washers though too, but less probability

My turbocharged b in cold weather is a devil to get glowed correct.
We took him for a fun ride tonight. It is in the 50s here in Illinois.
My BJ 73 arrived in Montana today, can't wait to get home and drive it.

View attachment 3564447
out with all the other tractors haha!

I looked at it, all squished in the corner waiting for the salt to get washed off the roads a bit more. Soon, soon.
20240312_204550.jpg

I found mine in the hay shed Big Timber Montana. I have been driving a FJ40 with turbocharged 3B in Illinois for the winter. Back in Montana, thank God and my 3500 dodge ram. It came across the ocean to California where Noone wanted it.. I bought it and shipped it to. A friends house in Montana. I live at 6500 feet and would cost $500 more to get it there. 22 degrees here this morning and it was no sure it wanted to go out to play. Might have a glow plug plug or two burnt out? Got it fired up and went about 10 miles to work on a Cummings big cam 2, 855 diesel.
The BJ73 needs a little work but overall seems like a great addition to my collection.

20240317_080626.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom