Joestrow's GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, High Desert Cruisers!

Short story, I got myself a GX and would like to make it a little less soccer dad and a little more elk killer. Wondering if any local Albuquerque folks have a set of sliders, front bumper, or roof rack collecting dust that they’d be interested in selling.

Longer story - about 2 months ago my father in law sold me an absolutely babied f250 diesel for a killer price. After pouring about 3k into making it pretty much brand new, it was stolen when we were having dinner in Old Town. A few weeks after that, my beloved Camry left me on the side of the road. My family of 4 quickly went from 3 cars to one.

My wife and I loaded up our car seats and drove LXs, GXs, and 4Runners. After tons of research we found this GX from a great military family in AZ. Already had the BFG KOs on it and in great shape. Next step is getting this thing to the mountains!

On a side note, my hobby is buying/selling hunting optics. I usually have some high end binos/scopes/hunting rifles that id be willing to trade to get the GX a little more mountain ready.

Happy Crusing and thanks to everyone who posted the absurd amount of helpful information on this forum.

- Joseph
IMG_4821.jpeg

Oh man, she's a beauty. I bet Ironman4x4 can sell you a complete kit, one and done. Jeff @krazykat69 has a tricked out GX460 and I think that's the route he took and he LOVES it. If both of you show up to the breakfast this sat (see sticky for info), your wallet will magically fly open after you check out his ride. :rofl:

Hello, High Desert Cruisers!

Short story, I got myself a GX and would like to make it a little less soccer dad and a little more elk killer. Wondering if any local Albuquerque folks have a set of sliders, front bumper, or roof rack collecting dust that they’d be interested in selling.

Longer story - about 2 months ago my father in law sold me an absolutely babied f250 diesel for a killer price. After pouring about 3k into making it pretty much brand new, it was stolen when we were having dinner in Old Town. A few weeks after that, my beloved Camry left me on the side of the road. My family of 4 quickly went from 3 cars to one.

My wife and I loaded up our car seats and drove LXs, GXs, and 4Runners. After tons of research we found this GX from a great military family in AZ. Already had the BFG KOs on it and in great shape. Next step is getting this thing to the mountains!

On a side note, my hobby is buying/selling hunting optics. I usually have some high end binos/scopes/hunting rifles that id be willing to trade to get the GX a little more mountain ready.

Happy Crusing and thanks to everyone who posted the absurd amount of helpful information on this forum.

- Joseph
View attachment 3534691
Joseph,
I could not make last Sat NMHDC breakfast. Maybe next month....
BUT, My 2010 GX started out looking just like yours. A great platform for an off road 4x4. You can't go wrong putting money into it Ironman , Dobinson, Metal Tech, and other companies are making aftermarket parts for this 4x4. Based on the GX popularity for offroading.
DO IT !!!

Any 4x4 build will cost some $$$$$, but you chose wisely, my friend. Once it's built, all you will add will be scratches.
Hope to meet you soon. Got questions, just ask.
Mine seems bulletproof and it has A V8 !!!!!!!!!!! VROOOMMMMM!!!!!:steer::steer::steer::rimshot:

PS I don't go anywhere near downtown anymore, cause of what happened to your truck. Sorry this happened to you.

So you’re the one
3ZUE.gif
Joseph,
I could not make last Sat NMHDC breakfast. Maybe next month....
BUT, My 2010 GX started out looking just like yours. A great platform for an off road 4x4. You can't go wrong putting money into it Ironman , Dobinson, Metal Tech, and other companies are making aftermarket parts for this 4x4. Based on the GX popularity for offroading.
DO IT !!!

Any 4x4 build will cost some $$$$$, but you chose wisely, my friend. Once it's built, all you will add will be scratches.
Hope to meet you soon. Got questions, just ask.
Mine seems bulletproof and it has A V8 !!!!!!!!!!! VROOOMMMMM!!!!!:steer::steer::steer::rimshot:

PS I don't go anywhere near downtown anymore, cause of what happened to your truck. Sorry this happened to you.
Thank you @krazykat69 !!!

Hoping to make lots of great memories in the GX. First hunting trip is next month for a Barbary sheep tag so I’ll be able to test it out on some roads in southern NM.

First upgrade I’m looking at is probably going to be some sliders. I don’t anticipate doing any crazy off-roading, but pretty sure the stock floor boards are gonna take a beating on any rough forest service road.

After that will probably be a roof rack and ladder. Still not sold on the utility - but sure do look pretty darn cool!

Third jump will be some suspension work. I don’t want to lift it as my wife is super short and she’ll kill me if she has to jump into the soccer transporter every summer Saturday. The Bilsteins seem to have a great reviews for those who are trying to add a ton of height. May also just replace the shocks/struts with OEM ones UNLESS I find a killer deal on a bumper and knock out that big transaction at the same time as the suspension. Decisions decisions! Glad I got some great brains to pick here

Hoping to make lots of great memories in the GX. First hunting trip is next month for a Barbary sheep tag so I’ll be able to test it out on some roads in southern NM.

First upgrade I’m looking at is probably going to be some sliders. I don’t anticipate doing any crazy off-roading, but pretty sure the stock floor boards are gonna take a beating on any rough forest service road.

After that will probably be a roof rack and ladder. Still not sold on the utility - but sure do look pretty darn cool!

Third jump will be some suspension work. I don’t want to lift it as my wife is super short and she’ll kill me if she has to jump into the soccer transporter every summer Saturday. The Bilsteins seem to have a great reviews for those who are trying to add a ton of height. May also just replace the shocks/struts with OEM ones UNLESS I find a killer deal on a bumper and knock out that big transaction at the same time as the suspension. Decisions decisions! Glad I got some great brains to pick here

Remember the Jeep motto: lights before lockers 😁

Ahem, on serious note, if you get a set of sliders with steps capability, that might appease your wife.

You must do everything to look cool in front of Starbucks's before the soccer games. Your wife needs street creds, doncha know. :flipoff2:

I have metal tech sliders. Have to remove the stock floor boards and do some cutting on them to fit the sliders. Cut off saw. Bolt back on this cut off piece to fit MT sliders. Might have to grind off small corner of the KDSS OEM skidplate under front DS area to fit the front mounting bracket on DS slider. Jack stands and clean out threaded holes on frame, both sides, before bolting sliders on. My MT sliders work as a step getting in and out using your grab handles inside the GX. I put non slip pads on my sliders to keep from slipping when they are covered in mud or wet. Can reach things on my roof rack too.
Roof racks, many choices. Many lifts kits out there. Mild lift would work for your situation. Underneath metal skidplates are a consideration. Front metal bumper gets you some clearance up front and improves your approach angle alot. Get one you can add a winch to in the future. Rear bumper later, with tire carrier.
I agree with Ali, light bars are low priority IMHO.:)

@pappy,

Might I suggest moving this thread from post # 4293 onward to a new Intro Post so that Joe gets his own thread? Mauser has 4925 for sale post that shouldn't get moved along the way!!

Thanks.

Remember the Jeep motto: lights before lockers 😁

Ahem, on serious note, if you get a set of sliders with steps capability, that might appease your wife.

You must do everything to look cool in front of Starbucks's before the soccer games. Your wife needs street creds, doncha know. :flipoff2:
I can confirm that buying sliders that also serve as a useful step does make short wives happy. Just ask my short wife.

I can confirm that buying sliders that also serve as a useful step does make short wives happy. Just ask my short wife.
They also make old men with crappy knees and hips happy too. :cool:

Barbaric sheep??
I guess that some sheep can be a bit... cranky, but I've never seen any that you could call barb--
Oh. Okay, never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom