Shop for 2015 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBruce

SILVER Star
Threads
The girlfriend’s GX460 has a wined coming from the front of the engine. The local shop said it was the power steering pump, replaced that and the belt, noise is still there. Guessing it could be a pulley, but the local shop says we got a bad pump, so I want someone else to look at it.

What shop can you recommend?

I have heard good things about the Toy Auto Man in Santa Fe:
4774 Airport Rd.

Santa Fe, NM 87507

(505) 983-9463

How many miles? I would check the fan bracket too if the 4.6 has a fan bracket like the 4.7 does. In the 4.7, the fan is driven off the accessory belt so the bearing may have gone bad in the pulley behind the fan.

Last edited:
Bruce,

Pls try using a long screwdriver or a pipe resting against components to locate the source of the noise while the engine is idling. The odds of a second bad pump is low, and these pumps are easily rebuildable if required.

I'm doubting the first pump was the problem because they typically make a groan sound when you turn the steering wheel.

I wonder if an idler pulley is going south? How about the alternator pulley bearing?

It is possible the new pump is making noise. A lot of times the pump is replaced because of groaning and the new pump does the same. This can be caused by dirt in the screen in the reservoir causing the pump to starve for fluid.

Thanks guys, between your suggestions and my buddy Curt, got some stuff to check out.

If I can not find the problem then I have a shop to check out.

Not a lot of room to put a stethoscopes down in there to listen without hitting something and I don’t need to brake something else.I took out the power steering reservoir and completely cleaned it out and add new fluid cause even though they just change the power steering pump that fluid was black.

image.jpg

Bruce,

It's good that you cleaned out the old fluid out of the PS reservoir and don't forget to clean out rest of the system. This is pretty straightforward and you'll need to open up the system and drain some fluid out while someone rotates the steering wheel back n forth (engine NOT running). Helps to have both wheels off the ground for ease of steering wheel rotation with IGN on, engine OFF. You'll need to keep adding fresh fluid into the res while this is happening and a clear hose is great for this project.

Youtube for more details on how to do this on any PS pumps with built in reservoirs.

Bruce,

It's good that you cleaned out the old fluid out of the PS reservoir and don't forget to clean out rest of the system. This is pretty straightforward and you'll need to open up the system and drain some fluid out while someone rotates the steering wheel back n forth (engine NOT running). Helps to have both wheels off the ground for ease of steering wheel rotation with IGN on, engine OFF. You'll need to keep adding fresh fluid into the res while this is happening and a clear hose is great for this project.

Youtube for more details on how to do this on any PS pumps with built in reservoirs.
I kind of did that, I cleaned out the reservoir multiple times to the tune of a quart after put in new fluid and then turned the steering wheel 10 times either side, then drained and refilled and kept repeating.

Found a shop in Durango that is looking at it tomorrow. so we hope to find out what's what tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm curious what they find out. Shame you have to drive so far for this type of work.

Here is what we know now, they put a stethoscope to one of the bearings of an idler pulley, and it was really noisy, a bad grinding noise, so new idler pulleys, replacing all of them, are on order.

Lots of wineries in northern New Mexico now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom