1988 1st Gen 4Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been awhile since I’ve been on the Forum. Ive picked up a new build for myself. 1988 4 Runner. PO did a ton of work and had a lot of fun with it as you can see. The body is too far gone to put much work into it. Just going play with this one. List of what has been done so far:

SAS with All Pro truss
Hydro assist steering
Hiem’d front cross over steering /high steer
Trussed pitman arm
Moved steering gear box forward on the frame
Trial Gear long field axles
Dual x-fer case with 2.8 and 4.7 ( Marlin )
Headers
35x 12.5 x R15 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers
9500 lb winch
Front bumper looks to be custom ( Haven’t found it yet , if anyone knows what it is ket me know)

Going to try to share the rest of the build as I do the things I want to do to the rig. Follow along, or don’t, but I'll share what I can. Thanks.

3EE06125-A95D-4293-9892-B19D3229559A.JPG

Last edited:
Spent some time on some body work. Both bed sides were pretty trashed. Pushing out the larger dents that I can. Its not going to be perfect but may look a little better before I have have a chance to trash them again. The truck came with doors but the B-pilliars are to gone at this point. Tube doors will have to stay, any cold weather wheeling will have to be heaters on and Carhartt layers.
tempImageuPOKe8.png
tempImagehEqTkv.png

Interior seats were trashed. Found some donor seats at the local U-Pick-It and grabbed both front seats and rear bucket seats from a 2nd gen. Driver seat bolted right up. The front passenger did not, had to drill some holes to allow for the mounting as the front seat in the '88 slides forward to allow for more room to enter the back seat, The original mounting base was about three inches shorter. Figured kids could get back there either way still. Back seats will need some slight fab work to get the tops to latch correctly, bottoms needed to be drilled as well to allow for mounting. Plan is to get more comfortable buckets in the front and a bench bucket for the rear. ( Corbeau )
IMG_6645.jpeg

IMG_6646.jpeg

IMG_6648.jpeg

Got new front bumpers installed. Will need to re-trim to clearance for tuck. Looks better. Thinking on the new Bronco Grey Blue color for the truck. Not going to spend to much time on the body work as its going to get damaged again but still want it to look somewhat OK from 10 feet away.
IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6664.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

IMG_6668.jpeg

Boy, that's been some fun and rough rides. Enjoy the project
YES it has, Plenty more ahead. That was the allure with this build, it doesn't have to be perfect like the FJ62 build I did, I don't have to worry about scratching or denting this one up. all the work is pretty much done already just some minor things I would like to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom