Pilot bearing removal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wet news paper also works well.

I've used playdough, it also works as a great stress ball.

If you can afford a lathe........

Sure, snap-on tools are overkill for most guys. I'm a self professed "tool whore" and love having the right tool for the job. I was buying snap-on tools when I wasn't wrenching for a living. Just like the ergonomics and quality.
Like I said a drill press would work just as well as a lathe, I happen to have a wood lathe because of my dads wood working obsession.

A drill pres is a tool I use frequently, a pilot puller? not so much. IMHO the average guy would be better off putting the puller money toward a drill press than a pilot bearing puller.

Don't get me wrong, I love quality tools, but I have a limited budget to buy tools and parts. I HAVE to get the most bang for the buck I can. Spending big $$$ on a tool I might use every three or four years isn't a wise use of resources. Especially when $2.00 worth of wood dowel an grease does the job so well.

Like I said a drill press would work just as well as a lathe, I happen to have a wood lathe because of my dads wood working obsession.

A drill pres is a tool I use frequently, a pilot puller? not so much. IMHO the average guy would be better off putting the puller money toward a drill press than a pilot bearing puller.

Don't get me wrong, I love quality tools, but I have a limited budget to buy tools and parts. I HAVE to get the most bang for the buck I can. Spending big $$$ on a tool I might use every three or four years isn't a wise use of resources. Especially when $2.00 worth of wood dowel an grease does the job so well.

hey dan.
i completely agree and i hope my previous replies were'nt taken as offensive or condescending. they certainly were'nt supposed to. yes, i buy good quality tools and i like owning them. i also have a "tool budget" i have the stay within or i'd go crazy on the snp=on truck. i learned that lesson many years ago. funny thing is, i keep all the "new" tools at home in my nice snap-on box. the tools at the shop get beat up and reside in crappy worn-out craftsman tool boxes.
the grease trick certainly works. i'm sure some of the other plyable/moist materials work just as good if not better. the proper diameter drift certainly has a lot to do with the success rate.
one more thing to keep in mind; most auto parts chain stores now offer free tool rentals so you can go down to the local kragens or whatever and "borrow" a puller or whatever you need for the job at hand.
last but not least, you don't have to pay retail for great tools. look on your local CL or on ebay and you'll find snap-on, mac, matco,.....for half or less. most of the tools in those lines come with an unconditional lifetime warrantee. does'nt matter if you bought them new or not. that's tough to beat.
hmmm, what other tool do i not have and just can't live without......
georg

No offense taken George. I give myself a "Hobby allowance" each week, I'd be spending my golden years pushing a grocery cart around Sparks if I didn't.:lol:

I actually tried to borrow a pilot bearing puller from O'Reily (formerly Kragen in these parts). An interesting sidebar I forgot to bring my new pilot bearing with me so they pulled on from stock so we could check it. Their bearing was visibly lower quality then the Toyota one I had at home. Their bearing puller was also to large to fit inside.

Sad but true, there are a lot more tools in CL in these hard times. I also hit every garage sale I can find during the summer, I've picked up some really good tools that way.

I'll have to try this the next time I need a pilot bearing out. My bearing was in there so tight that I ended up destroying and taking out the inner race and bearing. I then took a Dremel to the outer race just to get it out.

I'll have to try this the next time I need a pilot bearing out. My bearing was in there so tight that I ended up destroying and taking out the inner race and bearing. I then took a Dremel to the outer race just to get it out.

Had to get the race out like this numerous times. AIr die grinder and a cold chisel. And a very good face mask..

When I did the clutch in my Taco I rented the puller and slide hammer from Autozone. I took the new pilot bearing with me to make sure it fit. Checkers puller was too big and Autozone's smallest one was perfect. It was something crazy like $170 but as long as you return it the next day you get it all back. Just charge it to a credit card and you aren't out anything. The pilot bearing was rusted in and I was doing the whole job on my back so the puller was way easier than messing with grease. I had to go to Autozone anyway for grease, shop towels, and fluids.

Wet news paper also works well.
I was thinking about this on my commute today. Stuff like paper, bread and play dough probably tolerate a looser fit for whatever "piston" you use.

just reporting back from the trenches......the grease succeeded in popping the bearing cover off.....the wife just threw away two stale hot dog buns a few days ago....looking about for solutions and found my container of DAP 55 glazing compound, just the right combination of pliability and resistance to compression.

Look up this post on FB, it’s how we remove pilot bearings.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

9BC5035B-E9FB-4DCC-A95A-8D274A6A7C0D.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom