[USA] KZJ95 vs FZJ80, which one would you sell? The hardest decision of my life! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OP posted first in January - anyone knows what he ended up doing ?
ive been on mud since '18. currently still have both. however, i am prepping to sell the 80 once i finish the semester. i can get a decent amount more money for it and plan on getting a clk 55 as a daily, with some extra change to invest back into the markets. i think the 95 series will hit an appreciation curve in the next 3-5 years and be worth significantly more.

ive been on mud since '18. currently still have both. however, i am prepping to sell the 80 once i finish the semester. i can get a decent amount more money for it and plan on getting a clk 55 as a daily, with some extra change to invest back into the markets. i think the 95 series will hit an appreciation curve in the next 3-5 years and be worth significantly more.
If I were you I’d keep the 80 series, sell the Prado and get a Civic or Camry to DD. I wouldn’t wanna pay for OEM Mercedes parts in college, especially not for an aging AMG version; German cars in general make Land Cruisers look dirt cheap to maintain. That V8 is awesome in the Merc though.

Also the market is pretty niche for a RHD diesel here so I’m not sure I’d count on it appreciating much. That diesel engine is also notorious for cracking heads, so keep that in mind.

In any case I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
If I were you I’d keep the 80 series, sell the Prado and get a Civic or Camry to DD. I wouldn’t wanna pay for OEM Mercedes parts in college, especially not for an aging AMG version; German cars in general make Land Cruisers look dirt cheap to maintain. That V8 is awesome in the Merc though.

Also the market is pretty niche for a RHD diesel here so I’m not sure I’d count on it appreciating much. That diesel engine is also notorious for cracking heads, so keep that in mind.

In any case I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.
the way i see it, the 80 series gives me 6-10k more in resale value over the 95 series. with that, i could easily buy a clk 55 w208 and have plenty of headroom for repairs/upgrades (if needed). ive been doing lots of research of the past few months and from i have gathered is that the clk is quite reliable. it doesn't seem uncommon for these AMGs to reach 200k miles on original engines and transmissions. fuel economy isn't the best but i won't be driving much for work after college (i graduate next spring). i hear a lot of people saying to get a civic or a corolla/camry. no. life is too short to drive boring cars. i am not in debt either.

also, i realized i posted this in the 80 series section, so i feel there is some bias towards the 80. also, my prado is the intercooled version, where cracked heads are not an issue. i beg to differ on the rhd us market. i remember when the 78 series prado was sub 8k vehicle on japanese auction sites, now i see people out in colorado telling me they paid 25k!!

95 will never have nearly the following (or subsequent value) of the 80. While all prices will fluctuate, the price of the 95 will fluctuate in a lower band.

As an owner of a AMG CLS 63 you're kidding yourself if you think keeping AMGs on the road is either cheap or easy. Parts that you can't find aftermarket can be insanely expensive and the vehicles are made to be serviced in a Mercedes service center, not your house. You literally need to drop the engine on a lift to change a radiator hose.

Ultimately, you do you - But you already mentioned partially doing this to buy the crypo dip/ crash. I don't think you're going to get a lot of people here who will be able to understand your point of view.

the way i see it, the 80 series gives me 6-10k more in resale value over the 95 series. with that, i could easily buy a clk 55 w208 and have plenty of headroom for repairs/upgrades (if needed). ive been doing lots of research of the past few months and from i have gathered is that the clk is quite reliable. it doesn't seem uncommon for these AMGs to reach 200k miles on original engines and transmissions. fuel economy isn't the best but i won't be driving much for work after college (i graduate next spring). i hear a lot of people saying to get a civic or a corolla/camry. no. life is too short to drive boring cars. i am not in debt either.

also, i realized i posted this in the 80 series section, so i feel there is some bias towards the 80. also, my prado is the intercooled version, where cracked heads are not an issue. i beg to differ on the rhd us market. i remember when the 78 series prado was sub 8k vehicle on japanese auction sites, now i see people out in colorado telling me they paid 25k!!
Well the engine and transmission might be good, but you don’t just drive those. See the above post; that thing will bleed you dry if you’re not careful. Maybe post on an AMG forum also to get an idea of running costs. Anyway, there’s plenty of more affordable cars you can have fun in and are much less likely to bankrupt you (Civic SI, 02-05 WRX, Golf GTI, TDI wagon, etc.).

Also, the 70 series Prados and Cruisers are a different animal than the 90 series. Don’t get me wrong, both your trucks are really nice and I’d love to own either, but the 90 series is basically a 3rd gen 4Runner IFS chassis with a different body style. I’m no expert, but I’m not sure the intercooler totally precludes the possibility of cracking a head either. I think it’d probably be easier to find a buyer willing to pay top dollar for a LHD FZJ80, but I could be wrong.

,, I think it’d probably be easier to find a buyer willing to pay top dollar for a LHD FZJ80, but I could be wrong.
Right. It now seems more clear to me that one of OPs primary concerns with his dilemma is how to realize and maximize a profit from the sale, so I think we can ALL agree that the correct approach would be to sell the 80 ASAP.

I'd be curious how he figures the 90 series value will appreciate in 3-5 years. If you look on BAT, they don't come up very often but when they do the prices aren't real strong.

Right. It now seems more clear to me that one of OPs primary concerns with his dilemma is how to realize and maximize a profit from the sale, so I think we can ALL agree that the correct approach would be to sell the 80 ASAP.

I'd be curious how he figures the 90 series value will appreciate in 3-5 years. If you look on BAT, they don't come up very often but when they do the prices aren't real strong.
This is because the 90 series has only been available for import to US for about a year. Give it a few more years. Certainly will never be the same caliber of the 80, but I think it is a net positive to hold onto it for a little bit longer.

This is because the 90 series has only been available for import to US for about a year. Give it a few more years. Certainly will never be the same caliber of the 80, but I think it is a net positive to hold onto it for a little bit longer.
This is just my .02, but I’d say a vehicle is almost never a net positive when one accounts for running costs, unless we’re talking about a true collectors item like a Ferrari 250 GTO or something. Any appreciation would probably be offset by expensive services on that diesel. Also, I don’t mean to knock the 90 series, but IIRC it’s basically a RHD 3rd gen 4Runner with a diesel engine. Others may correct me here but I’m pretty sure the platform is essentially the same.

The 80 series is much more special IMO: the last (only?) coil spring solid axle vehicle from Toyota sold in the US.

Also, the 70 series Prados and Cruisers are a different animal than the 90 series. Don’t get me wrong, both your trucks are really nice and I’d love to own either, but the 90 series is basically a 3rd gen 4Runner IFS chassis with a different body style. I’m no expert, but I’m not sure the intercooler totally precludes the possibility of cracking a head either. I think it’d probably be easier to find a buyer willing to pay top dollar for a LHD FZJ80, but I could be wrong.
almost all the people i seen who have cracked heads on their 1fz are on 78 series and hilux surfs, both of which are not intercooled. yes im sure it is possible but i am not worried about cracking a head on a 130k mile bone stock prado.

from what i have seen, average annual maintenance of the clk 55 seems identical to the 80, around 1-2k.

This is just my .02, but I’d say a vehicle is almost never a net positive when one accounts for running costs, unless we’re talking about a true collectors item like a Ferrari 250 GTO or something. Any appreciation would probably be offset by expensive services on that diesel. Also, I don’t mean to knock the 90 series, but IIRC it’s basically a RHD 3rd gen 4Runner with a diesel engine. Others may correct me here but I’m pretty sure the platform is essentially the same.

The 80 series is much more special IMO: the last (only?) coil spring solid axle vehicle from Toyota sold in the US.
eh. i have less than 10k total in the prado. i spent a whole year lowballing japanese dealers until i finally got this deal. i have a classmate that is adamant on taking it off my hands for 18k. but i want to enjoy it a bit longer and think i can get more in a few years. personally, i think, this chip shortage is not ending anytime soon and will probably get worse, and thus will keep used car prices strong.

There's no way the ugly 90-series is ever going to touch the popularity of the 80 series in the US market. The 80 not only has objective advantages, it also taps into the 90s US nostalgia. Only weirdos like us will ever care about something like a 90-series.

Meanwhile, Facebook overlanding (car camping) groups will continue to fellate each other over triple lockers until fuel prices finally kill off all enthusiasm for these rigs.

But hey, never take financial advice from a forum populated by weirdos driving 10mpg rigs that struggle to merge onto freeways. We're all dumb down here, Georgie.

Meanwhile, Facebook overlanding (car camping) groups will continue to fellate each other over triple lockers until fuel prices finally kill off all enthusiasm for these rigs.
Yup. We're in a recession. Gas prices suck. We're heading in to a market that will sadly see 80s starting to be junked and not restored. We're not awash in stimmy money any more. I'd expect the prices to stabilize at the very least for any "enthusiast" vehicle that's a want and not a need

Not sure where this thread is going any more TBH. Plenty of us have responded to the OP and the majority have suggested keeping the 80. It's also been rightly pointed out that if the OP wants to maximize cash, sell the 80. OP seems to be more interested in disagreeing with advice, trying to convince us the 95 series is a good investment and will appreciate and talking about daily driving an AMG. Not sure if we're being trolled, the OP doesn't really want advice or what the deal is.

Good luck with your decision. You might have better luck with advice like this in the future on Reddit, rather than a forum dedicated to the vehicles you're looking to sell. The chances of us being objective with respect to your goals is limited at best.

Unsubscribed.

hahaha yes i know. i had no plan on commenting on this thread again. just wanted to give @DSRTRDR an update since he asked and oh boy did the pitchforks come back. its just a hobby. chill.
You came here asking for advice and we tried to give you that in good faith. You proceeded to argue with most of the members who commented on your post, so it sounds like you've all but made up your mind. All we can do is wish you luck in whatever you end up choosing to do.

Sell which ever one you want to sell and buy whatever car you want to drive. Advice was given, whether it's taken or not is another story. The sooner you sell the more money you'll make as the long term outlook isn't looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom