Rivian vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any evidence to support that?

An EV doesn’t draw anymore than an electric dryer, draws about 1/3-2/3 that of what it takes to run most in home AC systems, about 1/10-1/3 what it takes to run electric heat.

Does the entire grid shut down when everyone is running AC or heat? Well sometimes it does, but not all that often.

You mean something like this?

There are articles that say other wise, but they are not taking into account a lot of factors. Moving to EV would also mean heavy use vehicles moving to EV also. This requires a lot more energy capacity than consumer stuff, just like ICE fuel commercially.

Add to the fact that more people would have quick chargers. Practically, it would make sense. If all you have is an EV, you don't want to wait for hours if you need to charge to full capacity and leave on a schedule.

Last edited:
Every EV thread on MUD:

giphy.gif

• Refining petrol + tailpipe emissions is a significant source of pollution. So is leeching lithium and strip mining rare earth minerals to make. Buying an EV because it's a silver bullet to save the planet is just misguided.
  • Automakers are responding to consumer demand for EVs. They will be successful because of capitalism, not environmentalism
  • ICE vehicles aren't going away—for a very long time—if at all
  • The R1S is a popular comparison because it's almost the same wheelbase as a 200 series, and has a tailgate (I'll never forgive toyota for removing it from the 300), and it's frankly the same price point of a new 200/300 series
It's cool if you don't want an EV—nobody cares. But damn, we can't have a technical discussion without the trolls gaslighting everyone in the thread.

Every EV thread on MUD:

giphy.gif

• Refining petrol + tailpipe emissions is a significant source of pollution. So is leeching lithium and strip mining rare earth minerals to make. Buying an EV because it's a silver bullet to save the planet is just misguided.
  • Automakers are responding to consumer demand for EVs. They will be successful because of capitalism, not environmentalism
  • ICE vehicles aren't going away—for a very long time—if at all
  • The R1S is a popular comparison because it's almost the same wheelbase as a 200 series, and has a tailgate (I'll never forgive toyota for removing it from the 300), and it's frankly the same price point of a new 200/300 series
It's cool if you don't want an EV—nobody cares. But damn, we can't have a technical discussion without the trolls gaslighting everyone in the thread.
Although I don't have a dog in this fight....and I agree with your statement that if you don't want an EV no one cares, the reverse is also true. If you want an EV, also no one cares.

I’m in Alaska. Tow a 7k lb camper 7-10k miles a summer, off road/overland most weekends, have 7-8 months of winter, and have almost no charging infrastructure. I’ve had 2 Teslas up here over the last 8 years (S now 3). That said If someone was going to give me (and I had to keep it for 10 years) a LX600 or the Rivan or CT I have reserved, I’d take one of the EV without hesitation.

Here is the issue I have, you are speaking so passionately against something you have no experience with (a common issue these days).

Most people do not own EVs primarily for environmental reasons. For me, I bike commute to the hospital ~80% of the time year round, harvest most of the meat we eat, rarely travel via airplane, and have almost eliminated single use plastics to reduce environmental impact. Not fooling myself that an EV will save the world. I think the largest impact mass adaption of EVs will have in Alaska is cut down on clear ice at intersections. ICEs sit there and slightly warm up the snow which turns to ice, EVs don’t have this issue.

I own them and will continue to do so because the driving experience is superior in almost every way, including how much time is saved in charging vs having to stop and get gas. In 2021 I didn’t do any long trips in the tesla, so that year I spent no time refueling my EV. Even this summer I did 400-600 miles every weekend and spent 40 min total all summer on superchargers, over 16 weekends. There are many times it takes people 30-45 min to get gas in Seward on a Sunday when everyone is heading out to get back home.

This is relevant to the LC crowd because something like the R1S is what the 300 series should have been. Like I said I have a reservation on a Rivian, CT, and Silverado EV, but not a LX600.

Here I am in the largest, most isolated, rural state in the US (with oil as a large driver of our economy), pretty conservative state and EVs are taking over. It is rare for me to be at an intersection in Anchorage and not see another EV, these days it’s usually at least 4 or 5. The other day at the gate I was driving into base (JBER) EVs outnumbered ICEs, which is getting more and more common.
You assume too much.

You have zero clue what vehicles I have experience with.

If in your opinion BPVs are so superior then ditch ICE vehicles altogether and let the rest of us drive the LC200.

You assume too much.

If in your opinion BPVs are so superior then ditch ICE vehicles altogether and let the rest of us drive the LC200.
Well since you haven’t talked from experience. Which EVs have you owned and for how long?

Even when I get my EV truck I’ll keep my LX570 but go full 34-35’s and rarely drive it. Heck Now I only drive it much in the summer when I tow the camper or off road. Since the camper is stored and there is snow on the ground I’ll only put 500-1k miles on it total Now through the end of May.

Swapped to my studded tires on all the rigs but my LX on Saturday.

8FC17C23-B0BE-4624-9CDD-73245F2FD02C.jpeg

This has turned into a gas engine vs electric vehicle thread. Somewhat off topic and in that going in circles. From what I gather those that want a Rivian(which costs $110k??) is because its an electric luxury truck, they like it, its fast, and they're not concerned about any other possible details or issues while keeping a 200($95k) series. That's what I gather overall anyway. Where do you buy a Rivian, and where do you get it fixed or serviced? I've never seen a Rivian dealer.

Well since you haven’t talked from experience. Which EVs have you owned and for how long?

Even when I get my EV truck I’ll keep my LX570 but go full 34-35’s and rarely drive it. Heck Now I only drive it much in the summer when I tow the camper or off road. Since the camper is stored and there is snow on the ground I’ll only put 500-1k miles on it total Now through the end of May.

Swapped to my studded tires on all the rigs but my LX on Saturday.

View attachment 3137008
If you're in such a love fest with your BPV then why even keep the 200?

There is no world platform BPV can compete on any level with a 200 series on a world platform.
That's why you'll keep your 200 because deep down inside you know the fancy golf cart just won't do.

Clearly everyone here who purchased a LC200 series new could have afforded a BPV.
Lots of people simply don't want a BPV.

Even Toyota, who by any estimation has far more experience than anyone with Hybrid and battery tech stated that BPVs were a road to nowhere.

Assume what you wish as it relates to my experience or lack thereof.
You can't pretend to be intellectually superior and assume at the same time. True intellectuals don't make assumptions.

Swapped to my studded tires on all the rigs but my LX on Saturday

Boy, we’re setting record high temps down here. The big joke is the Oct. 1 snow tire requirement.
It must be nice all winter to never stand in the freezing cold pumping gas or kneeling down looking for that damn block heater cord? In the last couple of years I’ve really had my eyes opened to e.v.s and some of their advantages. I don’t see them ever being able to replace camping vehicles but I’m pretty excited to see what’s coming. One of the grocery companies in Ontario has a fleet of autonomous trucks that go from the warehouse to the grocery stores now and I see that as a natural for an electric truck. Drive onto the loading dock charger and be charging while the robots unload/ load. No oil changes, no fuel problems, no bad injectors, etc.

True intellectuals don't make assumptions.

Wow really? Many of us here are fortunate enough to have the luxury of choice. And so often, enjoy multiple vehicles and vehicles types that best suit our individual needs. They all have their pros and cons.

Everyone here that has owned a BPV can tell you have next to no experience with one. Your assumptions highly clouded by your judgement of BPVs, and seemingly the owners of them.

I would not buy either if i had a choice now. No Rivian. No Tesla. No LX570.

I would spend my money on Ford F150 Hybrid with ProPower 7.2kW generator. :) I will then go around providing emergency charging for Teslas and rivians! :D

Oh and it can tow 12,700 lbs to boot!

Last edited:
Boy, we’re setting record high temps down here. The big joke is the Oct. 1 snow tire requirement.
It must be nice all winter to never stand in the freezing cold pumping gas or kneeling down looking for that damn block heater cord? In the last couple of years I’ve really had my eyes opened to e.v.s and some of their advantages. I don’t see them ever being able to replace camping vehicles but I’m pretty excited to see what’s coming. One of the grocery companies in Ontario has a fleet of autonomous trucks that go from the warehouse to the grocery stores now and I see that as a natural for an electric truck. Drive onto the loading dock charger and be charging while the robots unload/ load. No oil changes, no fuel problems, no bad injectors, etc.
This is the time of year we can get bad ice on the roads. The banned salt years ago. Got snow yesterday and tonight it is supposed to go rain -> 2-4” snow -> mid teens F

My dog loves the winter and was the only one in the family happy to see the snow yesterday.

Anchorage has 4 EV city busses with the plans to expand by 2-4+ each year until the fleet is replaced.

6BB0CFC0-3083-4DFE-AB20-0CC024EABFCB.jpeg

Name calling is the last refuge of those who simply have no actual facts.

Good luck with your BPV. Talk to the daily drivers in California and Florida and see what they say.

If you need an ICE vehicle as a 'backup' then your BPV primary shouldn't be primary.

Didn't Rivian just recall all their vehicles?

You're shilling propaganda and it's become
You assume too much.

Sorry - referring to EVs as BPVs is ill informed and just plain silly. We don’t refer to gas powered vehicles as Fuel Tank Powered Vehicles.

And yes, I have driven many Land Cruisers outside the US, including my own throughout North, Central, and South America and other in Southern and East Africa, the Middle East, and Pakistan and Afghanistan. So what? Doesn’t make me an expert because I needed to drive.

There's battery powered vehicles
Sorry - referring to EVs as BPVs is ill informed and just plain silly. We don’t refer to gas powered vehicles as Fuel Tank Powered Vehicles.

And yes, I have driven many Land Cruisers outside the US, including my own throughout North, Central, and South America and other in Southern and East Africa, the Middle East, and Pakistan and Afghanistan. So what? Doesn’t make me an expert because I needed to drive

And yes, I have driven many Land Cruisers outside the US, including my own throughout North, Central, and South America and other in Southern and East Africa, the Middle East, and Pakistan and Afghanistan. So what? Doesn’t make me an expert because I needed to dri

And yes, I have driven many Land Cruisers outside the US, including my own throughout North, Central, and South America and other in Southern and East Africa, the Middle East, and Pakistan and Afghanistan. So what? Doesn’t make me an expert because I needed to drive.
You'll see soon enough that companies like Tesla are actually selling you batteries, proprietary software and subscription services.
I call them BPVs for a reason.
You actually believe their long game is selling cars?
You'll be paying almost the price of a new car for the batteries, just you wait.

You'll see soon enough that companies like Tesla are actually selling you batteries, proprietary software and subscription services.

And so what? They deliver solid value for my dollar. Value and performance that can't be had elsewhere at the moment. Actually, I don't pay for subscription anything today.

But don't worry, Toyota is coming for you too. Connected services for the most basic of things. Remote start?! Status?! Those things are don't even need to exist or are plebian in a Tesla. Better start importing a 79-series.

Just a clarity around abbreviations...

Internal Combustion (ICE): conventional vehicle powered solely by an Internal Combustion Engine; ex: 200 series Land Cruiser
Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV): powered solely by an electric battery, with no internal combustion parts; ex: Tesla, Rivian
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV): hybrid vehicles with an internal combustion and electric motors that can be plugged in to charge batteries; ex: Toyota Rav4 Prime
Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV): hybrid vehicles with an internal combustion and electric motors that cannot be plugged in (batteries charge through internal combustion or "regenerative braking"; ex: Honda CRV Hybrid
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPV): the sudden sensation that you're spinning or that the inside of your head is spinning; ex: the feeling you get reading this thread

Any evidence to support that?

An EV doesn’t draw anymore than an electric dryer, draws about 1/3-2/3 that of what it takes to run most in home AC systems, about 1/10-1/3 what it takes to run electric heat.

Does the entire grid shut down when everyone is running AC or heat? Well sometimes it does, but not all that often.
In California, yes.

The issue most people have is that EVs go hand in hand with "Green energy" so the more EVs the more green energy the less reliable the grid becomes. To me the only way mass EV adoption works is a total switch to nuclear power.

Just a clarity around abbreviations...

Internal Combustion (ICE): conventional vehicle powered solely by an Internal Combustion Engine; ex: 200 series Land Cruiser
Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV): powered solely by an electric battery, with no internal combustion parts; ex: Tesla, Rivian
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV): hybrid vehicles with an internal combustion and electric motors that can be plugged in to charge batteries; ex: Toyota Rav4 Prime
Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV): hybrid vehicles with an internal combustion and electric motors that cannot be plugged in (batteries charge through internal combustion or "regenerative braking"; ex: Honda CRV Hybrid
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPV): the sudden sensation that you're spinning or that the inside of your head is spinning; ex: the feeling you get reading this thread
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🤗 Thank you!

Homes are being built everywhere, all the time. The grid will expand and improve.

Also.. “true intellectual”!!?!? In this context that’s the funniest s*** I’ve seen in weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom