What could this leak be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The fluid leaking smells different than engine oil and looks somewhat clear. Smells weird.

It’s right at the drive shaft.

3D93757C-6552-4A41-AF60-3E8C22664159.jpeg
B0D11FD6-829B-4700-9F9E-5E9938B39342.jpeg
728E5A67-B8C6-4614-A6D8-6AFF8312B1FB.jpeg

Is the repair to replace the seal?

I saw the videos on how to repair….hmmm.

Last edited:
Is the repair to replace the seal?

I saw the videos on how to repair….hmmm.
yeah, you just remove the driveshaft, remove the staked nut on the output shaft, pull the yolk and the seal (pry it out), then replace. lock your CDL and drain the tcase to make it easier. Make sure to buy a seal and a stake nut. The OEM instructions are that the nut is a one time use.

Got it and thank you for mentioning the single use stake nut.

Last edited:
Props to www.lexusgxor.com for having diagrams on this issue...and it's on a 2003 model

I wonder who did this repair and posted the PDFs? @GXO

Anyways, thanks for the info. It certainly got me going in the right direction. After reading all this, my issue is with the "back" of the front propeller shaft assembly (aka the front drive shaft) where it connects to the transfer assembly (aka transfer case).

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the part numbers for the oil seal and the stake nut. They are there in the diagram, but still trying to put the numbers together! It's like a puzzle.

Front_Propeller_Shaft.jpg

I found another diagram with part numbers. It still confusing...there's too many part numbers for the seals...

But after looking at 4 different web sites, 3 YouTube videos, various diagrams, and going under the truck several times..I think I figured it out.

I was looking at the part numbers from Timmy The Toolman's video, but then I realized that he's replacing the Transfer Case Output Shaft Seal on the rear drive shaft.

Mine is leaking on the front propeller driveshaft. So, I'm going to skip #1 and order 2, 3, and 4:

1. Seal, Type T Oil (aka Transfer Case Extension Housing Seal (Front)) 90311-41020 (replaces 90311-41007) (Diagram = 36115C)
  2. Seal, Oil (For Transfer Case)(aka Transfer Case Output Shaft Oil Seal) 90311-41012 (replaces 90311-41010) (Diagram = 36111B)
  3. Transfer Output Shaft Companion Flange 90312-23001 (Diagram = 33309D)
  4. Transfer Case Stake Nut 90179-22016 (Diagram = 36104D)

TCase_Part_Numbers.jpg

Last edited:
It might be worth a stop by the local Lexus/Toyota dealer to confirm the actual part numbers. I've tried to decipher the Toyota diagrams myself and accidentally ordered the wrong parts before (exhaust donut gaskets).

I went to talk to my local mechanic and he quoted me $150 labor plus parts to replace the transfer case output shaft seal and nut.

He couldn’t do it today/Saturday because it was late afternoon and he was too busy. He said to bring it Wednesday.

I can also bring the parts myself if I get Toyota parts.

Also, part of my confusion is that the front of the transfer case attaches to the rear propeller driveshaft.

And the rear of the transfer case attaches to the front propeller driveshaft.

So, confusing when you don't know what you are doing...which sometimes is an indication to take it to the shop specially if not too expensive.

Last edited:
Easy way to look at that is where it gets fed by the transmission, which is the front of the truck. So front driveshaft is with the input and the rear driveshaft is the only output. The seals have different part numbers but the stake nut is the same.

No, the front driveshaft is not the input. Both driveshafts are output.

OP. Your parts are 36111,36104.

Easy way to look at that is where it gets fed by the transmission, which is the front of the truck. So front driveshaft is with the input and the rear driveshaft is the only output. The seals have different part numbers but the stake nut is the same.

Last edited:
No, the front driveshaft is not the input. Bothe driveshafts are output.

Thanks for confirming the part numbers. I got those two you mentioned and also the manual says that the the output shaft companion flange seal is one time use as well (goes with the stake nut). That’s 33309D in the diagram below.

Anyways thanks for all the help. I ordered already and 3 parts on the way.

I wouldn’t have figured it out without the guidance I got here. Thanks again.

This is the area that I’m dealing with…once I figured that out…I think that’s when the part numbers made sense. See the blue highlight in the picture.

Also, I was getting confused because Timmy the Toolman has a YouTube video on how to replace the Transfer Case Output Shaft Seal and I thought that's what I needed to do. Unfortunately, he's changing the seal on the rear propeller drive shaft and that uses a different seal 36115C than the front propeller drive shaft seal 36111B.

D2025E31-8E55-45A7-89B0-C845485F266A.jpeg

Last edited:
No, the front driveshaft is not the input. Both driveshafts are output.

I didn't say the front driveshaft is the input, I said the input is WITH (next to) the front driveshaft (that side of the drawing).

I love Partsouq for their parts diagrams, and they have been accurate for everything I have bought from them.

looks like 90311-41010 is the part number for your year.
C2B03B3D-E8E6-4FB7-BFE0-6518FA3DF403.png

however looks like this has since been superseded by 90311-41012
AA7B7992-A395-489F-97C3-92E8139CA905.png

note that the nut and washer should also be replaced, denoted by the black dot in the parts diagram these are non-reusable parts.

it looks like you figured this out already but posting this info in case it helps others

I love Partsouq for their parts diagrams, and they have been accurate for everything I have bought from them.

looks like 90311-41010 is the part number for your year.
View attachment 3088913

however looks like this has since been superseded by 90311-41012
View attachment 3088915

note that the nut and washer should also be replaced, denoted by the black dot in the parts diagram these are non-reusable parts.

it looks like you figured this out already but posting this info in case it helps others
Thanks for posting. I'm not sure how you got the multiple parts to show up on the first screenshot, but that's good to know that you can do that. What did you search on to get that info to show up on the screen?

I did figure it out on my own, but it took me a long time to connect the dots.

@HomersCanyonero you just click through the site, select make model etc and then in the parts diagram you click on the part number which is hyperlinked and it brings up the options.
Got it. I learned something new.

You have to know what area you are looking at, but once you know…you can get the diagram part id to display actual part numbers associated with that diagram part id. Nice!

By the way, as I wait for the parts to arrive from partsouq.com (takes a week), I’m contemplating doing this on my own in my driveway.

If I fail, worse case scenario is I use my auto club membership to tow car to my mechanic.

Just thinking out loud. Im not confident I can tap in/out the gaskets without making a mess.

Is replacing the gasket on the front drive propeller shaft easier than the gasket on the rear drive shaft? I’m watching Timmy’s video again.

Its exactly the same process.
Drop dl.
Remove big nut
Remove flange
Replace seals
Reassemble.

This is literally one of the easiest truck repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom