Anyone ever de-smog an EGR-equipped 1HD-FTE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got an EGR-cooler equipped 1HD-FTE I'd like to de-smog. I'm looking for some guidance and/or advice from anyone who may have already done something like this as I want to avoid potentially removing something that will cause problems with the ECU.

When I started out with this project, I didn't understand just how integrated the smog equipment appears to be. I didn't know the exhaust manifold, turbo, soft-shut down, grid heater, viscous heater, intake manifold, and even the pistons are EGR-specific. Besides removing the EGR valve/VSV, and blocking off the port on the exhaust manifold, what other devices can be removed without risking error codes on the ECU? For example, I've read on FB that removing the soft shut down valve will cause the ECU to go into limp mode.

Well you don't specify what FTE do you have, EU based FTE's do have EGR water cooled so you would need to blank also these. I have the 1998 FTE which doesn't have EGR water cooled and I just removed the EGR pipe and blanked it on each side. If you are not handy as me you can use the CAT EGR blanking plate ( https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/2P-2772 ). Regarding the soft shut down, you can just leave everything as it is and just blank the EGR pipe.

I have a Aussie FTE, I put a ball bearing into the vac line that operates the EGR 5 years ago, works fine ever since and no codes. I need to do the rocker cover gasket soon and will remove the EGR pipe, if I had more $$$ I would also buy the parts that remove the valve etc from the manifold. Smooth shutdown valve is not impacted by the EGR.

My FTE is from a 2005 Right Hand Drive HDJ100. It is EGR water cooler equipped and I’m trying to figure out exactly which components I can remove.

I’m hearing from several different people on the Facebook forum that the grid heater, viscous heater, and soft shut down valve or not especially needed for anything other than emissions purposes. I’m having a custom harness built by Thrashlux as well and I’m trying to give him direction on which components I want to dump or retain.

For example, I want to delete the intake manifold shutters and VSV since it appears to be used for emissions reasons. This guy:

D9B25853-DBD0-47F0-B003-EDEFFF142DA4.jpeg

What I don’t know is whether I can remove the shutter valve sandwich plate thing between the head and intake manifold or whether the intake manifold for the EGR equipped engines is a different shape than the non-EGR equipped engines? I know from looking at exploded view diagrams that the injection lines appear to be EGR specific so I assume removing this spacer between the manifold and head will cause the manifold to hit the injector lines? Can anyone share their experiences with removing this shutter assembly?
8B901744-013D-4E37-97DC-C873D06E056F.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like you have a very specific engine, VNT turbo, swirl intake, viscous heater etc. I am glad I had an engine without all this stuff. The picture with the shutter is not the intake shut off valve but swirl flaps. I would suggest to go to European forums, the FB forum is mainly Aussies and they never got these engines. Register and look for help here: 100 Series Plug-in Tuning Modules - https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/100-series-plug-in-tuning-modules.153707/

Regards,

Jorge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom