1HD-FTE Ticking Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 79 Series with the 1HD-FTE and it seems to have developed a ticking noise.
It's always had it a tiny bit but always thought it was throw out bearing related as the throw out bearing always made a high pitched noise.

Until recently I had been using Penrite HPR Diesel 15w-40, I recently switched to Penrite Convoy DFX 15w-40.
Immediately after switching to the new oil the ticking noise become very noticeable. The noise would start above 1000rpm and stops almost completely above 2000rpm. You can hear it slighly in the cab cruising at 80ks in 5th. Very noticeable with the window down going past buildings / other cars between 1000rpm to 2000rpm any gear. Happens under light to heavy load and also oddly at 1200rpm on the dot with the clutch pressed, not while depressed. Very noticeable and sounds like it was coming from the bell housing/rear of engine on the right side (ish). Initially I stopped driving it straight away thinking the clutch throw out bearing was ready to give up at any point.

I replaced the clutch the weekend just gone and the ticking noise is still there (although the high pitched noise is now gone).
I've been driving it since putting about 160kms on it and the noise has not gotten any worse or better.

Here is a couple videos as an example.
#1 - rpms held at ~1600rpm in neutral clutch pedal up

#2 - rpms held at 1200rpm with the clutch pedal pressed
(this is more what it sounds like when driving)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYYsYRXX3qg

Any ideas? Should I change the oil again to another brand to see if the noise changes?

My HD-T makes the same noise, I just replace the Turbo, had to put new exhaust manifold gasket on it and still make the same ticking noise.
hopefully is a normal noise

I remember the LCOOL forum had some detail about FTE ticks that appeared quite common. Havent noticed it on mine, but being auto behaves different.
I'll sign up and have a good look around. Thanks.
My HD-T makes the same noise, I just replace the Turbo, had to put new exhaust manifold gasket on it and still make the same ticking noise.
hopefully is a normal noise
How long has it been making the noise? I see plenty on google and here about a similar noise and they say it's 'crank flex' or oil related and little can be done to fix it - I have only found one other example of an FTE making the noise and they claim it went away after 20,000km. Others say its excessive clearance on the thrust bearings which I tend to believe in my case. I'm worried to drive it long distance in case I get stuck having to call a tow truck.

I'm changing the oil today back to a semi synthetic, but still 15w-40. I'll see if that helps.

I'm changing the oil today back to a semi synthetic, but still 15w-40. I'll see if that helps.

Is that the same oil you were using previously?
Definitely at the top of the trouble shooting list.

I know some guys auto trans models have had cracked flex plates, but no flex plate with a manual.

I'd suggest putting it up on a lift or stands and get under there with a long bar with the engine running and use the bar to listen to engine noises from different parts of the crank case, sump, bell housing etc.
This let's you hear if the noise is from one source, or more than one.
With a bit of listening, you can often pin point a noise to a particular area

Is that the same oil you were using previously?
Definitely at the top of the trouble shooting list.

I know some guys auto trans models have had cracked flex plates, but no flex plate with a manual.

I'd suggest putting it up on a lift or stands and get under there with a long bar with the engine running and use the bar to listen to engine noises from different parts of the crank case, sump, bell housing etc.
This let's you hear if the noise is from one source, or more than one.
With a bit of listening, you can often pin point a noise to a particular area
I am unable to pinpoint the noise, but it's definitely at the rear of the engine / bell housing area.

I changed the oil today to 15w-40 semi syn and it instantly quietened the noise down once warm compared to the mineral - but still there. The tick had always been there with the 15w-50 but never loud enough for me to worry.

I may have found the issue anyway - I had someone push the clutch while I pried back on the harmonic and it seems to have what I'd guess to be around 1mm of movement (I didn't have a good dial gauge). I am unable to determine without some help from others if this would be considered a big issue. I can't find the spec for an FTE but the 1HD-T seems to be 0.3mm max. Mine is definitely more than 0.3mm.

Cut open the old filter from the previous service as I still had it there and was unable to find any metal throughout the pleats.

I'll continue to drive it and report back here after I clock up some ks. Might find some time to pull the sump off and have a good look too.

I may have found the issue anyway - I had someone push the clutch while I pried back on the harmonic and it seems to have what I'd guess to be around 1mm of movement (I didn't have a good dial gauge). I am unable to determine without some help from others if this would be considered a big issue. I can't find the spec for an FTE but the 1HD-T seems to be 0.3mm max. Mine is definitely more than 0.3mm.
I measured the end float today properly with a dial gauge and it measured 6.5 thou or 0.165mm which is well within spec of 0.04mm to 0.240mm. I guess the rubber on the harmonic made it seem more than it was by eye. Still unsure what the noise is.

I'm now getting a check engine light when taking off rarely which only stays on for a few seconds until it builds some more revs over 800rpm or goes back to idle. I put a scan tool on but it shows no codes - I did scan without turning the vehicle off after the light had come on. I know the pump is on its way out as it does the rev up thing between gear changes these typically develop. Still no noticeable loss of power.

Got a couple goodies today!! Brand new injector pump and lines. Just waiting on injectors and I'll be able to chuck them in one weekend. The injectors especially have been due for some time.

I don't expect replacing these to change the ticking noise at all - which also hasn't gotten worse still or improved over the last 300kms. Been told by a couple of mechanics not to worry about the noise so long as it stays the way it is. It'll be nice to drive it without it revving up between gear changes with the new injector pump.

ip.png

I've replaced the injector pump and injectors now - and to my surprise the tick has almost completely disappeared. To the point where if I wasn't listening for it I probably wouldn't notice it. It may give a couple ticks taking off intermittently but then goes away. The oil is still clear as new oil so I'm hoping once it soots up and gets a couple thousand ks on it the ticking will disappear all together.

It now no longer revs up on gear changes, starts better in the morning, no smoke when cold, generally smoother running and quieter. Although it was quite expensive I think it was worth it.

I also found something that could have been a disaster if I had have left it for a long period. The timing belt idler had partially seized and you could see it was rubbing on the timing belt causing it to wear / heat the belt surface. Under 4,000kms on the timing kit.

IMG_2279.PNG

Well... it lasted a week before the ticking noise was back to how it was before. Still no worse and still intermittent. No smoke, loss of power, etc still all good.

The oil still looks fresh, maybe having done 1200kms on it.
Would've thought it would be black with soot by now but still looks clear like it was out the bottle.

The noise bothers me heaps, but I'd put up with it knowing it was nothing to worry about. I just don't want to go on a long trip and have the thing let me down.
I had someone else send me a video of theirs making the noise when the A/C kicks in on their HDJ79, so that makes me feel better about mine. Although they don't experience the noise under the same conditions as mine.

The only plausible explanation (in my opinion) for the noise after doing some research is that the noise may be coming from the thrust bearing on the crank rotating back and forth creating that light ting noise against the block/main, resonating through the block. Once the oil begins to get old and soot up it begins to cushion or do whatever to stop it from making the noise. I've seen some say it's crank flex caused by slightly out of spec block and crank, but I find that somewhat hard to believe.

If anyone can add to or disprove my theory, I would love to hear. Thanks.

Update:
Done 6,500kms since last service and the oil is STILL not very sooty. No issues with the motor still ticking away.

I did however use a very small amount of liqui moly ceratec in the oil (not the recommended amount) and it completely got rid of the ticking noise within 5 minutes. It stayed like that for about two weeks until it gradually come back after a month. No where near as bad as it was now.
Next service I will try using the recommended amount and see what happens!

I only tried the ceratec as it was recommended for an almost identical ticking noise in the ford mustangs that also happens to cause no harm to the motor.
oil.png

To put your mind at ease, let me share this with you..

I owned HDJ81 (with 1HDT engine, which is very similar to yours, except for the extra valves).
Shortly after I bought it, it developed very similar kind of ticking, which seemed to come from the bottom end of the engine (ala oil pan area). I did numerous tests and replaced multiple parts but the ticking was persistent. Oil analysis did not show any problems either
After spending many many hours of reading online, I found numerous LC owners with the same family of engine reported the same ticking noise. All with no ill effect on the engine or its performance.
One poster (I think in Japan) had his engine replaced by Toyota and the new engine started making the same noise shortly after.
In my 12 years of ownership, the noise never stopped (and I would hear is louder when I crossed bridges or tunnels as it echoed back from the walls).

BUT... in our cold Canadian winters I used to change my oil to 5W40 synthetic to help with cold starting, and while using the Synthetic oil I noticed the ticking was dramatically reduced or sometime completely gone.
It would return once I revert back to the 10W30 or 15W40 summer oil (conventional).

I learned to live with it and the engine was running beautiful until I sold the truck some years ago. During my ownership I put 200,000 KMS on the engine.

I'd say, if you want to do a bit of a test, try using synthetic oil on your next oil change and see if the ticking disappears or become less.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom