News! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No deals on oil. Maybe really big companies, but us peons get no discount.
It’s not gonna get any cheaper, that ship has sailed…

Had to buy some 0-20w for the 4Runner at $80/5L jug which hurt a little. On the plus side, all the 0/5/15-40w synthetic engine oil, hydraulic oil, coolant i can possibly fit into my service truck for my trips home are "free-99"! Here was one of the lube trucks topping me up.

IMG_4260.JPG

All good. Mel asked at the downtown one. Apparently the one up by costco had a few.

At $142 each... although that may be the classic Lordco " raise price by 30% then give you 30% off" deal. :rolleyes:

I need to find a decent alternative for when that stuff is unavailable. Delo 400 maybe, although it doesn't seem easy to find either.

Synthetics seem to be more readily available, I don't know if I want to go there tho.

My diesel uses about 18 quarts +/- 2. Add $20 for a filter. Suddenly $145 for a drive in oil change seems like a bargain (they also include free top ups of fluids in between changes). It’s not worth doing them for the truck… the car at $70 for an oil change is much more worth doing myself.

On the oil subject, seeing as Rotella is hard to find... I did some browsing for comparables.
Crappy tire sells a Mobil delvac that's supposedly decent. Might try a bucket of that.
Most of the flavors are probably ok if you don't push your oil changes. :meh:

Anyways point is I read this thread. Has me wondering if Rotella had a bit more hype than it warranted.

Also has me thinking maybe I'll try a bit of zinc additive on the next change. Zddp is half the reason these "diesel" oils get recommended, and it sounds like it's being removed from some formulas.

I choose to buy locally as of most recent I purchased parts from a local company. There are three that i work with, Radd Cruisers, 4 wheel auto and EBI

Big thanks for the quick shipping next day with no extra shipping costs, great service from Steve at EBI. Great guy who has time to spend with you on the phone, making sure you get the right parts

BEB91296-B20B-4DA9-9CE8-44E255F73238.jpeg

I choose to buy locally as of most recent I purchased parts from a local company. There are three that i work with, Radd Cruisers, 4 wheel auto and EBI

Big thanks for the quick shipping next day with no extra shipping costs, great service from Steve at EBI. Great guy who has time to spend with you on the phone, making sure you get the right parts

View attachment 3089892

Biggest downside of being on this side of the pond… Steve I’d on the other side of it. My limited experience working with him has been great and I’ve heard nothing but good things about him.

Well maybe not the biggest, but a major downside at least.

3601F2F3-DE92-444B-8496-D47886324F75.jpeg

I’ll never look at these waters quite the same again. About 30 minutes after I took this photo, we were packing up and getting changed. A woman came running over looking for a “Doctor” because a snorkeler had “Lost her Arm”.

Not seeing any doctor come forward I ran back to the beach to see what I could I could do to help. When running to the beach I thought the woman was exaggerating because of how calm she appeared. When I arrived I found a nurse helping Aleah.

Aleah had in fact lost all of her left arm, the back of her right fingers, and also had injuries to her side. I don’t know how many of you pray, but I ask those of you who do to pray for Aleah. She is a brave woman who remained conscious after the attack, and last I heard is in critical condition in the hospital.

She will have a long road of her ahead. First to survive, then to recover, and to adjust to loosing an arm. I hope that she’ll be able regain the use of the hand I held and adapt to her new reality.

Please, pray for her… even if it’s something you don’t do often, she needs every form of positive energy she can get.

I know some of you may not have the same religious views as me… but I ask that you be respectful. I don’t normally feel this is a place to share in this manner, but this is a very serious matter and Aleah’s life and future hangs in the balance.

View attachment 3105793

I’ll never look at these waters quite the same again. About 30 minutes after I took this photo, we were packing up and getting changed. A woman came running over looking for a “Doctor” because a snorkeler had “Lost her Arm”.

Not seeing any doctor come forward I ran back to the beach to see what I could I could do to help. When running to the beach I thought the woman was exaggerating because of how calm she appeared. When I arrived I found a nurse helping Aleah.

Aleah had in fact lost all of her left arm, the back of her right fingers, and also had injuries to her side. I don’t know how many of you pray, but I ask those of you who do to pray for Aleah. She is a brave woman who remained conscious after the attack, and last I heard is in critical condition in the hospital.

She will have a long road of her ahead. First to survive, then to recover, and to adjust to loosing an arm. I hope that she’ll be able regain the use of the hand I held and adapt to her new reality.

Please, pray for her… even if it’s something you don’t do often, she needs every form of positive energy she can get.

I know some of you may not have the same religious views as me… but I ask that you be respectful. I don’t normally feel this is a place to share in this manner, but this is a very serious matter and Aleah’s life and future hangs in the balance.
That is horrible! Shark attack? Thanks for sharing. Will definitely keep her in thoughts and prayers.

I'm also curious where you are. I'm sure this has impacted your trip in a serious way. Take care man.

Maui

Yes… Shark.

Reported as a, “serious bite”. Talk about downplay.

887881B1-D131-40B4-A21E-3655D96390A5.jpeg

Last edited:
I was a first responder on a shark attack in Costa Rica. It was intense but this attack was far worse. My friend Kevin luckily kept all his fingers after 300 stiches. Surfing in murky waters.

Sending healing vibes!

On the shark thing, scary s***.

Many years ago I did a lot of spearfishing on tropical reefs. Complete with "yum-yum yellow" wetsuit at times. SMRT 🙄

You'd try to hold your catch up out of the water so there wasn't any blood, but some would leak down.

There were always reef sharks around, some got fairly big.
On a few occasions they chased us back to the dinghy. Even to the point of butt ending them in the snout once or twice.

Locals would always say, don't go in if the water is murky. Not sure why they prefer it, maybe they like the camouflage it gives? Seems to be a thing tho.

One place we stopped was a big inlet with kindof a narrow opening.

Actually looked like a lake, water was brown from runoff after some heavy rain.

Within minutes of anchoring, a boat came up to us and said don't swim.

Don't even hang a hand in the water off the dinghy.

Apparently it was full of tiger sharks and one snatched a dog off the beach the day before, and tried for someone's hand on a boat.

We didn't stay long:lol:

I hate sharks, but it was the saltwater crocodiles that really scared the s*** outta me. Sharks attack when they're hungry, crocs don't have to be, they'll stuff you under a log as a snack for later.

Locals would always say, don't go in if the water is murky. Not sure why they prefer it, maybe they like the camouflage it gives? Seems to be a thing tho.
Turbulant water is stressed water, and so are the prey animals. Prey need to see just as much as predators and organize.
That's why predators hang there. Sort of singling out from the herd - school, as it were

On the shark thing, scary s***.

Many years ago I did a lot of spearfishing on tropical reefs. Complete with "yum-yum yellow" wetsuit at times. SMRT 🙄

You'd try to hold your catch up out of the water so there wasn't any blood, but some would leak down.

There were always reef sharks around, some got fairly big.
On a few occasions they chased us back to the dinghy. Even to the point of butt ending them in the snout once or twice.

One place we stopped was a big inlet with kindof a narrow opening.

Actually looked like a lake, water was brown from runoff after some heavy rain.

Within minutes of anchoring, a boat came up to us and said don't swim.

Don't even hang a hand in the water off the dinghy.

Apparently it was full of tiger sharks and one snatched a dog off the beach the day before, and tried for someone's hand on a boat.

We didn't stay long:lol:

I hate sharks, but it was the saltwater crocodiles that really scared the s*** outta me. Sharks attack when they're hungry, crocs don't have to be, they'll stuff you under a log as a snack for later.

All the news reports say “murky water” but it hadn’t looked murky where we were very nearby. There were tons of people swimming there… including locals.

As a first responder it didn’t seem very scary at the time… but afterwards it’s a lot to process. I’m glad I was there to help out, but there are things I wish I could un-see. On one hand I’m able to compartmentalize… but it’s still a lot to process.

I came across one article about paramedics who responded to a Shark attack on mainland USA (don’t remember where). They reported that veteran paramedics were struggling with processing what they had to deal with. It’s one thing to see someone’s hand torn open… I’d seen that before. Seeing a stump of a shoulder is a whole other level, and something I hope not to see again.

It’s especially troubling that she was bit on both sides, and multiple times.

Turbulant water is stressed water, and so are the prey animals. Prey need to see just as much as predators and organize.
That's why predators hang there. Sort of singling out from the herd - school, as it were
Also which sense the hunter uses. Sharks have a ridiculous sense of smell, so the murky water is an advantage for them.

Like a few parts per million of blood they can smell or something nuts like that.

Good news… the 51 year old woman was discharged from hospital on Wednesday according to: https://mauinow.com/2022/09/10/paʻia-bay-shark-attack-victim-leaves-hospital-maui-ocean-official-hints-tiger-shark-to-blame/

Her life will never be the same again, but she has it. Sounds like it was most likely a Tiger shark to be big enough to bite her arm off. It hadn’t been raining nor was there a lot of runoff… but apparently that bay is often not the clearest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom