2000 landcruiser shoots smoke out of intake and wont start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 200 Landcruiser with 300000 miles that I just did the second-ever timing belt on with an aisin timing belt and water pump kit. The truck ran great for the first weak, then started missing enough to buck you around, then died and would not start up. Once I got the truck to start fine, then killed it and tried it again and drove it about 100 feet up to my driveway before turning it off again. After that, it went back to not starting, but would sometimes just barely come to life and would miss bad before eventually dying again. Starting fluid does not make it come to life, and the only codes were for 2 of the igniters which I replaced with Denso ones and put in new badly needed iridium NGK spark plugs all around.

I have
-Checked that the cams line up with their notches at TDC both before and after it broke down and both times were good.
-the camshaft position sensor measure 1100 ohms which I believe is in speck
-it had a pending code for the cam sensor but it went away 🤷‍♂️
-I also installed a k&N intake after breaking the stock one troubleshooting, but it seemed to have no effect on running

To me, it seems that the ignition timing was off and would occasionally seem closer or farther, but I have no idea what could cause that without any codes on a dis vehicle like this.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

It does sound like it could be a valve timing issue. It's possible the belt could have slipped on the crankshaft sprocket if there were any problems related to lack of proper tension. This scenario could still leave the belt positions on the cam sprockets in their correct positions. You could verify by making sure the crank is actually at TDC the same time as cam timing marks. Maybe you have already done that but I missed it in your text.

It does sound like it could be a valve timing issue. It's possible the belt could have slipped on the crankshaft sprocket if there were any problems related to lack of proper tension. This scenario could still leave the belt positions on the cam sprockets in their correct positions. You could verify by making sure the crank is actually at TDC the same time as cam timing marks. Maybe you have already done that but I missed it in your text.
Yes, I ensured the marks lined up when the crank was at 0 degrees. The belt seemed just as tight as the old one was before I took it off, but it still had about 1/2 an inch of flex below the passenger side cam, is that normal.

I'd inspect the Cam Position Sensor wire to make sure there's not damage that may cause an intermittent reading.... the pending/disappearing code hints at that.

😲

I'd inspect the Cam Position Sensor wire to make sure there's not damage that may cause an intermittent reading.... the pending/disappearing code hints at that.
Thank you, I have the covers about off so ill do that.

I took the covers off and found nothing wrong with the wire so put it together enough to run and it started. The last time I got it to run a bit I had also just messed with the covers. I believe that I kinked the wire somehow and it faults but after messing around with it it will work again. for now, I'm going to order a new one and put it back together and test drive in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom