Need some advice on which lift kit to choose (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sure you probably already know, but a lot depends upon how heavy your rig is loaded out.
Either too heavy or too light with the wrong springs and it'll handle horrible.
My rig, as heavy as it is, rides awesome with my suspension setup! It floats very nicely on long highways and I can do the spirited mountain twisties until I hit my wife's "fear threshold" without too much swing'n and sway'n around curves.

You experience aligns with mine on the handing and significant other feedback.

Reactions: r2m
I recently added a 3" lift with 285x70x17 KO2s to my 22 GX460, here is my experience and general thoughts.

Details:
  • Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Struts & Shocks.
  • Old Man Emu Coil Springs
  • SPC upper control arms
  • KDSS spacer to correct 1 1/4" lean
  • BFG KO2 285x70x17 tires
  • Alphaequipt 17" wheels with +10 offset

Pros:
  • Looks better than stock
  • Rides better than stock
  • Reasonably quiet considering the aggressive tread (definitely quieter than my 4Runner with KO2s)
Cons:
  • Spare tire won't fit
    • Even though installer told me it would prior to doing the work
  • Gas mileage went from and average of 17 mpg to 15
  • Some trimming--while very minimal--was required
    • The trimming was limited to the inside portion of the lower side mouldings (as shown the the photo)
Summary
  • Aside from the spare tire debacle, I'm happy with how it looks and rides. With that being said, if I knew then what I know now I'd go with 275x70x17 tires and less lift. The vehicle would be a little more practical as my daily driver and probably would not have required any trimming (which I was trying to avoid on a new truck).

View attachment 3041980

View attachment 3041981

View attachment 3041982
How did you calculate your mpg? Your odometer is now is now off by 7%

Of course it is very subjective from driver to driver. Suspension is very personalized for each of us.

I agree with most here, keep your lift modest and/or do the groundwork to correct its geometry. Even then it’s not going to ride like stock. For most that’s ok, it’s a trade off, capabilities offroad for on road manners.

Personally…. I think the first modification one should make for better off-roading in the GX is a cheap daily driver lol. But that’s another conversation.

Use your phone's GPS and see what your speedometer reads vs. your phones GPS. I suggest using as high a speed as is safe or legal. Perhaps get your speed to 60 or 70 mph, then see what your GPS is. Again a higher speed will give more accurate readings.
With the size of my tires, my speedo is about 10% off, so if it reads 70 mph, my actual speed is 77 mph, if it says 50 mph, my real speed is 55, etc.
And just for everyone's info, regearing your diff's will not adjust the speedometer.

Use your phone's GPS and see what your speedometer reads vs. your phones GPS. I suggest using as high a speed as is safe or legal. Perhaps get your speed to 60 or 70 mph, then see what your GPS is. Again a higher speed will give more accurate readings.
With the size of my tires, my speedo is about 10% off, so if it reads 70 mph, my actual speed is 77 mph, if it says 50 mph, my real speed is 55, etc.
And just for everyone's info, regearing your diff's will not adjust the speedometer.
This ^ you can’t use your trucks computer anymore…

You’re running 35s right?

This ^ you can’t use your trucks computer anymore…

You’re running 35s right?
Yep, well... almost 35's, they're (BFG M/T) 315/70R17's which equates out to 34.4" which is larger than my last tires: (BFG A/T) 285/75R17's.
Unfortunately there is nothing out there that for sure will correct our speedo's. But 10% is an easy calc to do in my head when driving.

Yep, well... almost 35's, they're (BFG M/T) 315/70R17's which equates out to 34.4" which is larger than my last tires: (BFG A/T) 285/75R17's.
Unfortunately there is nothing out there that for sure will correct our speedo's. But 10% is an easy calc to do in my head when driving.

This says 11.3% off from factory

Factory tire size for the GX460 is 265/60R18.

I was able to shoehorn in a 33x10.5 with no mods other than pushing back liners and removing the offensive bolt in the back of the wheel well.

I guess I’ll share my input. I have a total chaos/king setup on mine with 285/70s on 17x8.5 -10 scs wheels. It’s the best setup IMO. Tires aren’t too large that you have to regear and the wheels have just enough offset that you can put off a bmc until you’re ready to do heavier offroading. The 550lb springs are a little soft for the gx, but the adjusters help make up for that and you can set them where you want them. I’ve had no issues with this setup after 30k miles over the past year. I just grease the UCA bushings every so often.

CBD4097E-BC76-4228-8DF8-4335F4E9CF76.jpeg

What are folks' experience with SPC UPCs? That's what I originally went with, and the ball joints crapped out in a matter of 2 months. I've got Icon UPCs now, and they're great. I must have been reaching the limits of articulation with the SPCs, I suppose, but within a month or two, I could feel it in the steering wheel, and sure enough they were both shot.

I ended up with the BP51's with their mid range spring and the ICON UPCs. I have 33's, and just needed a heat gun to remold the wheel well liner near the body mount.

Also, I'd not think about suspension modifications as 'lift kits', even if they're sold as such. Folks think that they need a 'lift kit' to fit bigger tires, but that's backwards. You get bigger tires for more clearance of low hanging points, and then clearance the vehicle to fit those tires. There are no offroad race vehicles with a 'lift'. They have proper suspension geometry and just make room for tires that will clear whatever it is they want to run over :)

Last edited:
What are folks' experience with SPC UPCs? That's what I originally went with, and the ball joints crapped out in a matter of 2 months. I've got Icon UPCs now, and they're great. I must have been reaching the limits of articulation with the SPCs, I suppose, but within a month or two, I could feel it in the steering wheel, and sure enough they were both shot.

Ball joint life is very subjective and dependent on how they are used. I've seen brand new ball joints break on a trail when they are stressed beyond what they can handle. If you want the very strongest then go with a uniball style. They make noise and need replacement more often but less breakage risk.

My SPCs have held up great. They are the newer version with the greasable ball joint. Have a lot of friends with them, and no complaints.

Got spcs on both the GX and Tacoma… been running them for several years with no issues. Lots of off roading on both trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom