Evolution- EvoSaw380 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
trail-tailor.com
My old Dewalt abrasive saw finally started giving me issues so I bought a Evolution 380 cold saw. With as much as I use these saws I probably should have bought a Kalamazoo, Scotchman or Baileigh. But didn't feel like shelling out 850-3000$ for one.

I figure if the Dewalt served me well for 3 years the Evolution should go a little longer.

I love the no spark cutting of this saw compared to the firework show of the abrasive saws. Plus the cut is "cold" right after the cut. Yes, you can grab the cut end as soon as its done and it is "cold", bare handed.

It has a chip collection tray which collects about 50% of the cut. The remaining is around the saw.

Saw is HEAVY DUTY and the angle adjustment is far superior to the entry level saws (Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc..) The blade key acts as a ZERO angle stop for the guide fence.

This is a 15" saw with a 1450 rpm/ 15 amp motor with a weight of 62#

The degree finder to blade is off approx. .4 degrees (not bad for a mass produced saw) need to get that adjusted.

Just thought I'd share a little.

J

IMG_20170523_130637157.jpg
IMG_20170523_131234993.jpg
IMG_20170523_131310851.jpg
IMG_20170523_131512267.jpg
IMG_20170523_131542506_HDR.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. It is pretty hard to get a cut that square with an abrasive blade.

That looks pretty sweet. It is pretty hard to get a cut that square with an abrasive blade.

Correct! I usually use an abrasive for only non critical/rapid cuts. I've always used the band saw for tighter tolerance cuts. But, now this may be my go to choice. It 5x faster than my band saw with just as good of a cut. I have the gate adjusted now and the cuts are within .15 degrees now. I can live with that. I cut several shapes and thicknesses today and all were in that tolerance range.

.750" x .065" HREW to 2.25" x .250" DOM round tube
.125" to .500" x 4" strap
2" x .188" to 4" x.375" square tube
3" x 2" x .188" rect tube

All smooth cuts and no lugging this motor down. Steady pressure and it slices through the metal with ease.

Very happy and impressed so far.

J

So how has this saw held up for you?

I just bought one, shipped today, hope to get it by Friday, so I can start on a project this weekend. I opted for the folding table as I'll be working outside on this project. I did not gett a second blade as I'm hoping the blade it comes with will last for a while.

How often have you had to replace the blade?

Dan

Way better than the abrasive chop saw not only in terms of hot sparks but your no longer breathing the byproducts from the blade ware.

The only thing is they are loud but an important for sure.

Would this saw work well for sheet metal, like steel 2x4" framing for example?

Would this saw work well for sheet metal, like steel 2x4" framing for example?
Evolution offers four kinds of blades. They do offer one for thin steel under 1/8" that would work for metal studs. I would assume one would have to introduce it slightly slower to prevent "catching" but should work very well .
86DDD228-AB98-4F4C-A9A9-C4C9B2078B75.png

Evolution offers four kinds of blades. They do offer one for thin steel under 1/8" that would work for metal studs. I would assume one would have to introduce it slightly slower to prevent "catching" but should work very well .
View attachment 2631990

Thanks Paco.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how your saw was holding up. I just bought one, hasn't arrived yet. Looking forward to cutting without sparks everywhere.

^ but maybe swapping sparks for sharp little blades everywhere? Or is that not a problem in real life?

great!

We have a 12" metal cutting Skilsaw that gets used a couple times a year. It's handy for certain jobs, but it sure is loud and you don't risk cutting anything iffy with it as blades are expensive and if something vibrates or binds the blade is toast in an instant.

I would buy a decent horizontal bandsaw before I bought a metal chopsaw like one of these. Depends on your use of coarse, but bandsaw is much more versatile.

BTW, these are not cold saws. A cold saw is a much more substantial machine that runs the blade at a normal SFM for what it's supposed to cut. A cold saw is an industrial machine.

We have a 12" metal cutting Skilsaw that gets used a couple times a year. It's handy for certain jobs, but it sure is loud and you don't risk cutting anything iffy with it as blades are expensive and if something vibrates or binds the blade is toast in an instant.

I would buy a decent horizontal bandsaw before I bought a metal chopsaw like one of these. Depends on your use of coarse, but bandsaw is much more versatile.

BTW, these are not cold saws. A cold saw is a much more substantial machine that runs the blade at a normal SFM for what it's supposed to cut. A cold saw is an industrial machine.
A band saw may be more versatile but you won't get a good band saw for what these saws cost. My goal is to eventually have both but for now the chopsaw will do. Anything is better than a grinder in terms of accurate cuts and the no sparks part is a plus for my small workspace. To each his own.

I agree here. Yes the cold and band saws are better saws but the price points aren't close.

These evo saws are head and shoulders better than abrasive saws.
I try to be smart about the blades. In reality ive abused mine. I cut 1/2 several times, have kicked shyt out trying angles. No blade issue other that wear and tear. These are a great option for hobbyist or semi pros on budget.
A band saw may be more versatile but you won't get a good band saw for what these saws cost. My goal is to eventually have both but for now the chopsaw will do. Anything is better than a grinder in terms of accurate cuts and the no sparks part is a plus for my small workspace. To each his own.

I also have one of these saws and I love it. No problems for my uses. I do all my cutting outside the garage on concrete next to gravel. When done I will sweep everything up and than give the concrete a quick blow off to get any missed shavings to disappear into the gravel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom