Leather cleaning and restoring "matte" finish 2016+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious to hear what you guys use to clean your seats. More specifically, options/techniques to restore the matte finish of the leather. My OCD does not deal well with the difference between the driver and passenger seat on my 2018. I love the terra color, but the driver is starting to show that shiny hue much more than passenger. Would like to restore the matte original on driver and avoid passenger from going the shiny route.

I've seen some YT videos of people using that Mr. Clean magic sponge/eraser, but am afraid to damage the leather. Didn't find anything that inspired me confidence to try.

Magic erasers are abrasive and shouldn't be anywhere near leather. Quick wipe downs I use Optimum no rinse. "Deeper" cleanings Lexol. Actual deep cleaning leatherique.

I have the same OCD as you with the terra seats and every so often I look at the $600 drivers side replacement leather piece for the seat bottom on Toyota parts online sites. Coming from 60 series ownership I still have the “buy it while you still can” mentality and someday might do something dumb and spend that money.

I have the same OCD as you with the terra seats and every so often I look at the $600 drivers side replacement leather piece for the seat bottom on Toyota parts online sites. Coming from 60 series ownership I still have the “buy it while you still can” mentality and someday might do something dumb and spend that money.
Wow..is this a thing? Who installs it? The dealer? Is it OEM quality? I am now tempted too...

Definitely don't touch anything on the vehicle with a magic eraser. As I understand it, they "melt" the surface they are used on, and that'll undoubtably damage the vehicle.

Your seats will develop shiny or gloss finish for two reasons. One, oils are building up and filling the natural texture of the leather making it more reflective. Second, the leather is worn and effectively tanned to a patent finish in areas that makes the glossy appearance. Start with a good cleaner - Lexol Cleaner is readily available. A clean terri cloth towel is best with this cleaner in my experience.

I imagine that those espousing the magic eraser are doing so to re-texture leather that has become too smooth to still have a matte look.

Your seats will develop shiny or gloss finish for two reasons. One, oils are building up and filling the natural texture of the leather making it more reflective. Second, the leather is worn and effectively tanned to a patent finish in areas that makes the glossy appearance. Start with a good cleaner - Lexol Cleaner is readily available. A clean terri cloth towel is best with this cleaner in my experience.

I imagine that those espousing the magic eraser are doing so to re-texture leather that has become too smooth to still have a matte look.
I have tried Lexol maybe one year ago. The combo cleaner+conditioner. Though it helped, it was not enough to tame my OCD. The driver side was "less" shiny but still not as the passenger matte original look.

This is what I saw in YT. Results seem great, but I am not convinced this will not crack and tear the leather in the long run.

or this

Leatherique.

Get both Leatherique cleaner and conditioner bottles. Use them a couple times and the difference is easy to see and feel.

Whoa. I put my ‘post gym’, sweatin to the oldies tail, in the driver seat 6 days a week and never thought to do this. Thanks for the ideas!

Seat Doctors sells leather top coat in three different finishes. I have used their leather dye on my LX and had excellent results.

The stuff works.. reminds me I need to apply it again.

Store it in climate control though.

The stuff works.. reminds me I need to apply it again.

Store it in climate control though.

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I needed. Will give it a try. Would be great to see results in actual LC200 seats, if anybody has the time to post pics.

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I needed. Will give it a try. Would be great to see results in actual LC200 seats, if anybody has the time to post pics.

Older pics. They're not drastic but I've always kept my seats clean.

This stuff worked great for my terra interior
3in1

Used the labor day weekend and finally worked around my schedule to patiently apply Leatherique. Took my time and used 3 days for the whole process. Very pleased with the results. I wanted to post pics here but can't seem to attach iphone pics here. Not sure whats up with the site configuration that won't accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom