Saying goodbye (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

taps-2270-e7bf4a5383fbfd41474728058625ed93@1x.jpg

See ya at the parade.

1651107146467.png

I kid - If I don't buy a new Taco, then it will be a Subie. They look great with a mild lift and some aggressive tires.

Last edited:
See ya at the parade.

View attachment 2993941

I kid - If I don't buy a new Taco, then it will be a Subie. They look great with a mild lift and some aggressive tires.

OMG, this made me spit out my nose....because, reminded me of the Saturn. Remember the Saturn??? Remember the Saturn "picnic" ads at their manufacturing site in TN.(?)
We had a buddy that bought one of the original Saturns and we wore his ass out about attending the "picnic".

...guess you had to be there...

OMG, this made me spit out my nose....because, reminded me of the Saturn. Remember the Saturn??? Remember the Saturn "picnic" ads at their manufacturing site in TN.(?)
We had a buddy that bought one of the original Saturns and we wore his ass out about attending the "picnic".

...guess you had to be there...
This is Julie. Julie is buying her first car. Unfortunately Julie chose a Saturn.

Get a GX460. it enables a wider choice in outfits and beverages, is still capable off-road and can get up an on ramp with haste. They also haven't been ridiculously overpriced by the "overlanding" scene yet.

I should have scanned a bit prior to my post. I meant to say GX470, and it appears their values are creeping up along with everything else. I would still pick one over a Subaru though fwiw.

Well, it’s that time. I’ve put my 62 up for sale. It’s in the classifieds here as well as local Craigslist. Figured I’d give my fellow ‘Mudders and locals a shot before BaT. You guys have been great. Literally, every single issue I thought I had, turned out to be a manageable maintenance item once I posted and got feedback. Don’t know if that says more about Toyota’s quality or the quality of this hive mind. I’ve never named my truck, but if I did, I’d call it “No Drama.”

So, why? This winter I had use of a Subaru for the first time, and although I have hated to admit it, a modern vehicle experience is closer to my actual needs. I was smitten. The Subie, with the right tires and a light lift, can outperform my 62 off-road in all but the most technical terrain, which I spend about .05% of my time on. Not to mention gas mileage, road trip comfort, handling, cabin noise…

I’ve loved my Land Cruiser and all its charm, back story, and old-school motoring engagement, but I just treated myself to a new Outback for my adventures, so it’s time to move on.

Yeah. I’ll probably regret it a little.

View attachment 2992205

Hate to see you leave, but your narrative lends to honesty of end goals and function.

Good on you for being honest with your needs and saying goodbye when it’s obvious the relationship has ended.

🤙🤙👊👊

Sorry to hear your selling the LC, I guess we'll see you in about a year or two? Have fun with the new Subie.

We have an Outback, a 100, and a 60. The Subaru was bought brand new and Mrs Hog has taken excellent care of it. Clutch replacement at 100k, but I think that has more to do with her driving style. No issues since 2012. We’ve talked about preparing for the day it goes away, but I don’t think that will happen soon.

Oddly, whenever we are doing anything in the mountains, Sunday morning brunch, church, etc, she asks if we can take “Walt” (the 60). I mentioned selling it a couple of times, & she struck it down quick. No real point to this other than to say it’s possible to have a Subaru & a 60 peacefully co-exist in the garage…

At this point, if anything gets sold it will be Lando (the 100). DAMN he’s thirsty!

They still blow head gaskets unfortunately. Usually it's the naturally aspirated ones though. Guy at work I think has had 3 sets of head gaskets done over the years on his Subaru. If you keep the fluids in them they will Usually run a long time from what I've seen. The cvt transmissions are pretty fragile as well.
I think after 2012 they updated the head gasket design and mostly fixed the issue. Subarus have generally above average reliability, even my old 99 was pretty stout.

Anyway @Super77 I can relate to your situation; in fact I kind if regret not trading for an 03 WRX back in February when I had the chance.

My LC is just way more heavy duty than I need, at least for 99.99% of situations I find myself in. Parts are ridiculously expensive, in part because of how overbuilt everything is.

That being said I find it very difficult to let go of since t has an undeniable charm all its own.

I think after 2012 they updated the head gasket design and mostly fixed the issue. Subarus have generally above average reliability, even my old 99 was pretty stout.

Anyway @Super77 I can relate to your situation; in fact I kind if regret not trading for an 03 WRX back in February when I had the chance.

My LC is just way more heavy duty than I need, at least for 99.99% of situations I find myself in. Parts are ridiculously expensive, in part because of how overbuilt everything is.

That being said I find it very difficult to let go of since t has an undeniable charm all its own.
Not sure which parts you’re finding expensive. I’ve actually found the opposite to be true with 60s, especially once you figure out the interchange hacks with other Toyota trucks. There’s a great thread here about replacement 4wd solenoid switches, for example.

But even when I find a $$$ part, I’m looking at the broken one it’s replacing and thinking, “it failed at f*cking 200k+ and 30 years old!”

@Super77 Did it sell? I noticed it's no longer on the classifieds or did it go to BAT?

Not sure which parts you’re finding expensive. I’ve actually found the opposite to be true with 60s, especially once you figure out the interchange hacks with other Toyota trucks. There’s a great thread here about replacement 4wd solenoid switches, for example.

But even when I find a $$$ part, I’m looking at the broken one it’s replacing and thinking, “it failed at f*cking 200k+ and 30 years old!”
Jsut little things like brake boosters add up quick. On a Tahoe a part that'd be 100 bucks is usually triple that if you go OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom