4.7 supercharger, thoughts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a complete kit, which is nice and difficult to find.

I should have specified that I’m going to have the supercharger torn down for basic inspection and to do basic maintenance and replace the ‘wear’ items.

I’m not trying to go fast, but the GX is more affected by altitude than any vehicle I have ever owned. Over 11,000ft it is really gutless. It would be nice to have some extra oomph while some off-road stuff above tree-line. Most importantly, I would like to be able to drive at the speed limit up to the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels on I70, which are over 11,000ft, without the foot to the floor and the engine nearing redline.
It’s the exhaust not the engine. Open up the exhaust and it runs great up high

A TRD supercharged GX would be really cool. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I had this reaffirmed by another mechanic, but I would like some confirmation. Are there any old crusty Toyota/Lexus nerds on here that can definitively confirm or deny with experience?

seeing a trd supercharger on anything was rare but we would occasionally get them. they seemed to be pretty reliable, their maxed at about 7 psi so its not huge boost but its enough. dont expect to be setting 0-100-0 record times but it wakes the trucks up a bit. dont forget that you will need to switch to premium after the install if you go through with it.

i only saw one truck that had a supercharger have an issue, and i cant even really chalk it up to the supercharger as it was installed at about 70k miles. came in around 83k with a misfire and ended up needing a head gasket. with that being said i wouldnt worry about putting one on as long as you dont crank the boost way up. make sure that youll be able to either flash the computer with the factory reflash for the super charger or have some way to piggyback off the stock ecu

Thanks

bigredmachine

I have the full setup taken off of a functioning rig: piggyback plugin, fuel lines, belts with new replacement belts included, etc

I already use premium in my GX, so that isn’t an issue. I’ll be using the OEM Toyota settings with the ECU mod. I’m not going for anything crazy. Just more ‘oomph’ and torque so it’s not constantly gear-finding back and forth in high wind in the interstate or going up extended grades.

i dont remember on the 4.7 if you needed to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors, i know that you do on the 5.7. if you can get the install instructions from toyota itll have a list of the parts that you need, it sounds like your pretty goog to go with parts but definitely worth a check

I have a PDF of the installation manual. Supposedly, it’s about as plug-n-play as forced induction can possibly be. It bolts as a direct-replacement in the physical space of the OEM intake manifold. The belt addition seems fairly easy. The additional injector system plugs inline through the existing fuel line, it takes most of the additional duty-cycle stress off of the stock injectors, and front-loaded heat of evaporization helps cool the intake charge (I still need to look into the details of these compressors). The stock fuel pump is supposed to be adequate for the modest increases. Likely, 95% of the time it won’t be under much more stress than stock unless I’m really putting my foot down. Excluding the additional stress on the internals from the +/- gross/net parasitic losses of driving an air pump, I wouldn’t expect it to produce much more suck-squeeze-bang-blow at high altitude than it would at sea level. From what I understand, the M92 @ max pressure buildup of posssible ~7psi requires a maximum of ~20hp to drive from the crank. That makes sense, given the pulley size and frictional area that is possible.

In some additional research, I also came across this from an internet expert (joke intended).

JB 10/28/2017
Trucks/UZ engines built in Japan like in 4Runners,Land Cruiser & Lexus trucks didn’t suffer from the TRD Supercharger rod failure and is why TRD didn’t even realize there were issues upon release as all TRD testing was done in Japan on their Japanese built engines not on US built engines.
So fwiw the USA Tundra/Sequoia built engines had the rod failures.
The real truth is TRD only stopped making the supercharger because it was too much work for dealers to simply install it on any VVT engine and VVT was the design for all future Toyota’s.
Believe me 4Runners didn’t have the rod issues or it would have been all over their websites for toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers it is not, instead it is stated on there as being a Tundra engine problem because it was.

FI loses just as much % power at altitude as NA but you should still have a net gain.

Sounds like you found the unicorn kit. If you ever sell it hit me up.

Having worked on VVTI and non-VVTI 2UZ's, the only real difference that would seemingly affect the supercharger is the air injection system. Most of that is located under the intake manifold, other than the valves at the very rear of the manifold (which could interfere with the blower manifold and the blower itself). Perhaps it was also an emissions issue, but I'm just speculating at this point.

Supposedly, it’s about as plug-n-play as forced induction can possibly be. It bolts as a direct-replacement in the physical space of the OEM intake manifold.

that was the point with all of the kits, it was supposed to be an off the shelf kit that could be installed at home and brought to or lightly driven to the dealer for the reflash. the supercharger is going to be fairly heavy and very awkward to install, get some help to install it. we would use 3 guys to install it just because of how awkward it is to get it in place, there was a sst lifting place so you could use a cherry picker to drop it on

I’d be careful mounting it on VVTi. Tuning, fuel maps, the way the computer operates is entirely different.

The URD kit is made ONLY for VVTi motors. You have to provide your own tuning option to mount it on an 03-04.

I’d be careful mounting it on VVTi. Tuning, fuel maps, the way the computer operates is entirely different.

The URD kit is made ONLY for VVTi motors. You have to provide your own tuning option to mount it on an 03-04.
yeah, and the only option for 03 and 04 for tuning is a full bypass/piggy back. No one has cracked all the ECU variants yet.

I've had mine done for a little over a year now. Did tons of research here and over on tundrasolutions. Learned a lot. I've got the 9/10th injector version off an 04 Sequoia.

Had to do some trial and error with belt lengths due to having to replace the tensioner and pulley on my 04 (the stock OE version from the factory on the GX for some reason uses a larger pulley that causes issues). I've got long tube headers, no cats for a free flowing exhaust (less boost by about 1 to 2 psi, 6 vs 7-8, but makes same or more power and less stress on the rods), upgraded Nomad HD valve body and TC lockup from WAT for much tighter shifts, and running the Unichip piggyback they specifically released for the TRD kit they developed by working with James over on tundrasolutions. The GX is on an 8.2 with 4.56 gearing and skinny 35s.

I got back all the performance, and then some, I lost with all the mods and weight (there is a long mods list). Low end tq is amazing. Towing is soooooo much better. Operating at higher elevation is better as well and still makes 3 psi or so up in the thinner air and helps a lot vs before being NA and feeling totally gutless.

20220403_155903.jpg

Awesome info. Any difference in fuel economy, pre-and post SC? I'd love it for someone to figure out a VVTI version. I have the DT LT headers, a CAI, and WAT valve body, but still feel just a bit underpowered when towing our camper.

Awesome info. Any difference in fuel economy, pre-and post SC? I'd love it for someone to figure out a VVTI version. I have the DT LT headers, a CAI, and WAT valve body, but still feel just a bit underpowered when towing our camper.
Fuel economy went out the door looooong ago 🤪

The SC didn't change that, at least for me and my setup, and how I like to drive. This is how I see it: same fuel economy more or less, whether towing or daily driving, yet have more power, equals a net positive in my book. Don't look at F/I as a means to improve mpg, I say. The valve body with TC lockup did more for fuel economy than anything else I've done.

how much of a nightmare is piecing this kit together part by part (because I really doubt there’s many unicorn kits out there to be purchased)?

totally unnecessary but so much fun…would be killer to pair this with the DT headers and exhaust upgrade

how much of a nightmare is piecing this kit together part by part (because I really doubt there’s many unicorn kits out there to be purchased)?

totally unnecessary but so much fun…would be killer to pair this with the DT headers and exhaust upgrade

Piecing it together bit by bit would be super difficult. Some parts, like the brackets for the additional pulley, can be purchased by aftermarket maker (that was a nice surprise, although my kit had them, they were rusty and I wanted the warm and fuzzy feeling you get from using new parts). The custom fuel lines and banjo is not something you'll likely find on their own. Same for the thermostat housing which has a built in riser for a bolt that bolts the supercharger snout support bracket to.

Mine was an intact take-off of an 04 Sequoia. Im running the DT LT headers as described in my earlier post. But using the URD Y pipe because the recessed crush gasket is a much better solution here than a flat flange to flat flange (asked how I know). Custom exhaust from there onward because "custom".

Appreciate the feedback! This is way, way above my ability. So I’m gonna park this idea under “fun things to day dream about” unless I stumble across one of the TRD oem kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom