Laundry List of To-Dos from Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Took my 2000 LC to the Toyota Dealership (always have great service here!) to get my new key programmed and an oil change - and when they were done, they came back with a list of concerning items:
1. Apparently they couldn't program the keyless entry because the programming method requires them to click the locks on/off 10 times, but they could only do it 3 teams before they quit. So my door actuators on going bad. I think i have seen a few threads on buying new actuators but those threads seem old - anyone know the best place to buy new door lock actuators? $1600 to replace those at Toyota. Would a Techstream program it via a different method or would it be the same requirement of getting the locks to click on/off 10 times for it to set the programming?
2. They told me my battery was too small - didn't even realize that was a thing but I guess I never paid close enough attention. Easy fix - but part of me was hoping that the 'too small' battery was causing the door lock issue but Toyota didn't seem to think so.
3. Coolant leak at the heater T (I think) - I beleive the Heater Ts are like $15 but the labor was going to make this $345. Is this easy to do DIY to fix the leak?
4. Power fluid leak at the fill hose - another $600+ at Toyota - is this something that is doable at the house?

Major bummer to go in thinking you're just getting a new key and fresh oil - and to leave with that, lol.

Any insight or advice into any possible DIY methods to any of the above is much appreciated. I'm fairly handy so feel like I could figure out some of this.

Thanks all!

So my door actuators on going bad. I think i have seen a few threads on buying new actuators but those threads seem old - anyone know the best place to buy new door lock actuators?
You just need new motors inside the actuators. They’re $10-15 a piece. Definitely DIY-friendly for a novice.
They told me my battery was too small
Group 24 is the standard size from the factory. Most of us upgrade to group 27 or higher, though.
Power fluid leak at the fill hose
$30 to get new high PSI hoses (replace both the send and return hoses) from a hydraulics hose shop. Or @NLXTACY has made it easy by already finding good replacements and cutting them to length, so you could buy the Wits End hoses instead.

Coolant leak at the heater T (I think) - I beleive the Heater Ts are like $15
Replace all of the hoses and both Ts. Again, @NLXTACY has a complete OEM kit via Wits End to make parts finding painless.

I agree with CBdej…

google search TLCfaq.com. Look up remote programming and it will describe the sequence to do it yourself and save dealership fees.
You do not have to cycle the power lock button… You can manually move the drivers door lock mechanism and it will work perfectly.

Updating here - sorry it has taken so long but I figure it may help someone out one day like me.

Regarding the FOB programming - the TLCfaq.com worked perfectly and got my fob programmed! I ought to call the Toyota folks and tell them that I did it in 15 minutes....not too mention a refund for the 'programming fee'.

The battery - there is some corrosion so I am just upgrading anyways.

Coolant & Power Steering link - reaching out to NLXTACY to buy those 2 kits so I can take a crack at this myself.

Thanks for feedback thus far.

The current generation of drivers are very ill equipped to work on any automobile problem. The dealerships are making a mint off of it. It amazes me how a service rider can with a straight face tell people these prices. Amazing.

Its like the saying I heard, if you thing the current gen is smarter than its elders, the old owners manuals gave instructions on adjusting valves and the new ones warn you to not drink the antifreeze.

Not aimed at this poster. Bravo for not just laying down and fixing yourself

Yeah its pretty wild. My old GMC was pretty easy to work on but I think the LC has been a little intimidating to me.

At the very least, gives me something new to learn.

Just because a Stealership throws in a free car wash after a $2000 bill, doesn’t make them a great organisation or your trusted partner in all automotive needs … however … all those recommendations do sound valid even if the standardized pricing is insane.

Just because a Stealership throws in a free car wash after a $2000 bill, doesn’t make them a great organisation or your trusted partner in all automotive needs … however … all those recommendations do sound valid even if the standardized pricing is insane.

Oh for sure - I don't want to make this out to be like I am bashing the dealership. They've done a great job for me for the past 5 or so years when I had my 4Runner. I just wanted to see what I could try to tackle myself, and potentially save some money, out of the list they gave me.

Thanks for the input so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom