CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had my NaviPlus installed yesterday at Toyota Knoxville - so far everything seems flawless. Connects to Bluetooth almost immediately. The only small downside is the banner that goes across the top when adjusting volume or using Siri - not a huge deal since it goes away after 2-3 seconds. Highly recommend this for CarPlay.

Had my NaviPlus installed yesterday at Toyota Knoxville - so far everything seems flawless. Connects to Bluetooth almost immediately. The only small downside is the banner that goes across the top when adjusting volume or using Siri - not a huge deal since it goes away after 2-3 seconds. Highly recommend this for CarPlay.

For those of us that don't have NaviPlus, what is the banner that goes on the screen?

For those of us that don't have NaviPlus, what is the banner that goes on the screen?

I already posted it in this thread. See these two screenshots. When you change volume or something there is a 1 or 2 second delay before the factory "volume" and banner goes away. That is all.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 12.10.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 12.10.07 PM.png

Just had mine installed for $350, anyone in the NY/NJ area can head over to NJ Boom Boom and talk to Han to get it done, they did a super clean install. My comments are based on initial impressions and strictly for Android Auto.

Pros:
  • We now have Android auto! Serious upgrade over stock AV
  • Steering Wheel Control Work - Skip and Volume
  • Car and Naviplus unit is pretty seamless, rear backup cam goes on in "R' then returns to Naviplus when back in 'D', volume / AC top banner show up and go away as you interface with with the physical buttons.
  • The audio stays on 'Aux' so getting in and out of the car you don't need to change input.

Cons:
  • My phone says 'Charging Slowly' (Google Pixel 3) when connected. Going to talk to Naviplus as this is a huge let down to not have normal speed charging, not even asking for rapid charging. Will report back if this is not expected behavior and an issue on my end.
  • The instructions are low budget and not clear, they need to make improvements here before that group buy drops IMO.
  • The speed is acceptable, but I wouldn't call it fast or slow, would prefer it to be snappier but that could also be the screen and not a NP issue.

Just received mine yesterday. Does anyone have a recommended installer in the greater Denver area (or anywhere in Colorado, really)? Thanks!

Here are my first impressions of the NaviPlus CarPlay unit.

First the good:

The CarPlay user interface boots quickly and the screen is very responsive.
The Apple Maps and Google Maps work very well.
The audio quality is very good when in wired CarPlay mode.
The steering wheel controls seem to work well.

The Bad:

The sound quality in wireless CarPlay mode is not as good as in wired mode. The audio is prone to having slight dropouts in the sound. It does not sound as good as using the cars Bluetooth for music. The cars Bluetooth does not have these slight dropouts in the sound.

The sound for phone calls is different than using the cars native mode. The sound from the CarPlay app I think is using all of the speakers, where as the native mode is more from the front speakers.

I will be doing a road trip in a week or two, so will have more time using it, and will have a better feel for the unit after that.

This likely has been asked already, but does the NaviPlus unit allow video content to mirror to the rear screens? Hoping to dump all my kids' DVDs and replace with iPhone content during road trips. Thanks.

$350 for installation plus the unit for $700? Your total is 1K?
From what I've gathered, installation of the NaviPlus unit is pretty similar to installing the EC Offroad unit that I installed, other than needing to route a cable for the microphone the NaviPlus unit uses (which I'm glad I didn't have to deal with). That being the case, these are largely plug and play installs. Taking the dash apart to get access to the cables that need to be plugged in is pretty easy - just take it slow so no trim clips get broken. Based on past experience with local car install shops, I'm more inclined to trust that I'll do good work UNLESS you have a place you know you can trust to do a good job.

Not sure how similar they are but this MIGHT help?

From what I've gathered, installation of the NaviPlus unit is pretty similar to installing the EC Offroad unit that I installed, other than needing to route a cable for the microphone the NaviPlus unit uses (which I'm glad I didn't have to deal with). That being the case, these are largely plug and play installs. Taking the dash apart to get access to the cables that need to be plugged in is pretty easy - just take it slow so no trim clips get broken. Based on past experience with local car install shops, I'm more inclined to trust that I'll do good work UNLESS you have a place you know you can trust to do a good job.

A professional shop can do it in a fraction of the time and is going to have the tools and expertise needed to prevent scratches and damage to the vehicle. I am shocked that people are doing this on their own rather being willing to pay a $300-400 to get it done.

I'm not shocked by much of anything anymore.

I totally understand why some would want to pay to have them installed. Even well more than $300-$400.

I also understand there are people out there that enjoy doing this kind of stuff for the experience/challenge. It's certainly not always about money.

The good thing is there's room for all kinds...

Why Toyota, on their flagship SUV, did not include Apple car play is just mind boggling. A $15,000 Kia Rio comes with Carplay standard. Good grief.

A professional shop can do it in a fraction of the time and is going to have the tools and expertise needed to prevent scratches and damage to the vehicle. I am shocked that people are doing this on their own rather being willing to pay a $300-400 to get it done.

I have no problem that some people are not comfortable doing it or just want to have someone else do it for them. It is not that hard to do and the tools are cheap.

I have no problem that some people are not comfortable doing it or just want to have someone else do it for them. It is not that hard to do and the tools are cheap.
And when doing it ourselves, we know it was done properly. I'm always horrified when I see photos of what some supposedly professional shops are capable of doing.

Before having a shop do it for you, I would strongly suggest requesting to see some of their work and references.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom