trans and xfer breathers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to do a breather manifold for eveything, both diffs xfer case and trans on a '97 LX450 triple locked. Trying to add the poly line push in type fittings.

Can someone confirm that the Xfer case and trans are press fit before I try to remove and break things in tight places?

searched but not getting the warm fuzzy that says I don't have to drop the whole mess and thread a hole.

Thanks!

Can't help with anything specific, but I remember reading Tools R Us talking about how the xfer case breather was very difficult to reach, up top, and he dropped the transmission a few inches with long crossmember bolts, to get to it.

Driver wheel well. Both attach to the trans dip stick. Just splice in there up to the fire wall. Way easier unless you think they are dry rotted.

Quick tip...recommend don't manifold everything together - at least use independent breathers for each diff.

Reason behind this: Contamination of gear lube (from either water, or knuckle grease) can cause gear oil to foam and spooge out of the common vent (possibly sucking said spooge into the previously uncontaminated diff). If this happens, you won't know which diff is the problem child unless you pop the fill plugs to confirm.

I didn't dream this idea up and was skeptical when I read of it here on da MUD. Thought it to be a far-fetched and theoretical problem, until it happened to me (dammit!). My $0.02.

Driver wheel well. Both attach to the trans dip stick. Just splice in there up to the fire wall. Way easier unless you think they are dry rotted.

I already have them run up there, just trying to tidy it up with the AOB kit. I can use a barb to poly if I get real picky.

Quick tip...recommend don't manifold everything together - at least use independent breathers for each diff.

Reason behind this: Contamination of gear lube (from either water, or knuckle grease) can cause gear oil to foam and spooge out of the common vent (possibly sucking said spooge into the previously uncontaminated diff). If this happens, you won't know which diff is the problem child unless you pop the fill plugs to confirm.

I didn't dream this idea up and was skeptical when I read of it here on da MUD. Thought it to be a far-fetched and theoretical problem, until it happened to me (dammit!). My $0.02.

I said manifold, but it’s actually 4 individual lines with the copperrock filter thing. Each is isolated. I agree. Having the possibility of co mingling of fluids is no good!

Thanks!

I’m doing this soon while re-gearing the diffs and t-case. Please update how you will connect tubing, what materials you are using and routing. Pics appreciated. Thanks. Sub’d

Ok.
So I got sidetracked with life, and waiting on parts, ect...
Best I can tell, the nipples on the x case and trans are press fit. Beyond what I want to deal with on a sat afternoon. I’ll save the threading and tapping for when I have to drop that stuff for some thing else.
so I ordered the AOB (air on board) diff breather kit. Something I really like about the simplicity. There are fancier ones but this is the one I got. Has pretty much everything you’ll need. Even zip ties and tec screws. Diffs are straight forward. Unscrew and thread in the norgen push lock type fitting.
The one thing you’ll need if you aren’t tapping the cases and still want to use the poly tube is a 1/4” barb to 1/8 NPT brass adapter. This is what I was waiting on because I live in the boonies and get stuff from amazon. This will go from the rubber breather lines to poly somewhere around the starter.
pics show the parts. I may get to actually working on it Saturday? Maybe?
96DD874D-AC87-4B13-982F-23EF7830E2C3.jpeg
5D46A56D-9061-4BF9-A3E2-EDD122A04D1B.jpeg
071AEF35-5E4F-4C23-A34C-64EB9F41464D.jpeg

What kit did you order? Link?

I got this one:
you can find a bunch on e-bay form Australia, but I didn't want to wait that long.,

and these form amazon, but you may be able to source locally if you live near places that sell these things??
Amazon product ASIN B000FPDGJ2
Edit: I haven't actually tried the barb fittings on the truck yet, so it is possible they won't work. you will probably need a couple of hose clamps as well, but I have some already laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom