Builds TLC-77 Old school, new member :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome build & some spectacular driving locations too, keep it coming & welcome to ih8mud. I also have a 70 series with that PTO winch & 36" Simexs, they certainly get you places but portal axles is definitely taking it to the next level.

Looking through your first pics of the portal axle install I was thinking 'I wonder if you need some sort of traction bar to stop excess torque on the springs' ... looks like it does :)

Cheers
Clint

@Lapocruiser i want you to know that I found your Drive2.ru page a few years ago and your beautiful 77 has been one of my computer wallpaper since then! Love the portals and color!!
Really!? Awesome! :)Happy to hear it! My "Lapocruiser"at wallpaper somewere in Japan. Aichi! 🖐

Looking through your first pics of the portal axle install I was thinking 'I wonder if you need some sort of traction bar to stop excess torque on the springs' ... looks like it does :)

May be you are right! But this time the problem was solved by return from parabolic leafsprings to original multi-leaf springs

BTW, rear leafsprings at PZJ77 are the sama as new HZJ76 (2008-....) Friends sent to me a small box with suspension kit :rofl:

ress1.jpg

ress4.jpg

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

Keep your stories coming.

Juan

Thanks, guys!

So, we moved throw Dyatlov pass to the famous place - mountain plateau Manpupuner. We climbed to Chistop mountain with destroyed radar station.
All these places are not available for common trucks. Only for 35' and higher :) And of course portals are better way to drive there

1372_(FX7_1291).jpg

2610_(DX1_1959).jpg

2624_(DX1_1975).jpg

2208_(FX7_1985).jpg

2506_(FX7_2277).jpg

My TLC77 made me absolutely happy at this trip. Only one thing bothered me.

We drowe about 5000 km on highways.
Siberian highways are not the same as US :) It's narrow, only 2 lanes.
Overtaking became a problem, when maingear is 6:1 and the engine is 1PZ
This 5-cyl diesel 3.5 litres without charge is good in swamp. But when you decide to overtake someone on the road.... :bang:
0127_(FX7_0899).jpg

Yes. The next point - engine swap!

Keeping coming, yep! :)

The original gearbox was R151F. It's OK for 1PZ, but too weak for 1HDT
There are 2 suitable gearboxes - H150F and H151F I choose first one because it has lower 1st and 2nd gears, better for offroad
Clutch also were removed. I had fo buy a new 300 mm flywheel instead of 250 mm old one. And 300 mm ISUZU cluth disc, suitable for H150F with 21 slots

dvs83.jpg

dvs86.jpg

sc03.jpg

sc01.jpg

Volvo portals has no hub locks. So there are no reasons to keep patr-time transmission.

I believe transfer case with differential is better than none-differential :) So we use the same transmission as Lamd Cruiser 80. Full-time with electric difflock.
It also has better lower gear - 2.38:1

Only one thing was hard - to find transfer case with PTO. But we found it. Some of Generel Area 80s also has PTO winches.
BTW, 80s PTO looks a little better than 70s :) 10 mount bolts and better lever lock

dvs101.jpg

dvs69.jpg

w11.jpg

w19.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom