Builds TLC-77 Old school, new member :) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tomorrow we may speak about winter driving in Siberia, if you like... :)

View attachment 2254216

Yes please! You would laugh at us, In NZ if we get a -10C frost overnight on a winter camping trip we think it's pretty cold :)

IMG_7978-M.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Yes, they are right! They can not leave Japan as Toyota BXD10. Moreover, they can not enter Russia because of Euro-4 or something like this....
BUT! We should not give up!

These vehicles taking apart and leaving Japan as a spare parts kits ;) And then in Russia they are assembled again and registered as self-made vehicles. No more Toyotas! Now they are "Expedit vehicle" without frame numbers and civil license plate :) But anyway it's still MEGAcruiser! ))

"Lapo-" is made from Volvo Laplander axles. We call it "Laps" here, that's why LandCruiser became LapoCruiser :)
Also in russian word "lapa" means "animal's paw" :)

HA so Russia and America do the same things to get good vehicles :) it is the same procedure for some BXD10 in USA haha. Very good! We just have to get even older version hahah.

Awesome! I like it on all parts of "lapo" and "Lapa"! Now someone needs to make a new badge for your vehicle like you picture! "LapoCruiser"

Thanks, guys! Your reaction inspires me to continue! :)

Well, about winter...
Winter in Middle Siberia is about 5 monthes: from November to March. And it's snowy.
January is usually cold. We prefer stay at home these weeks. But other times we want to go somewhere outdoors :)

In November the snow depth still small, and it's allows to drive. Good way to drive in shallow snow - wheel chains.

f849g8s-960.jpg

8389g8s-960.jpg

649g8s-960.jpg

6249g8s-960.jpg

020113_5.jpg

Tha main idea - do not dig snow, but trample it.
We need diesel with high torque at low rpm. Low gears. Manual gearbox. Tire pressure as low as possible And a lot of patience and calm :)

Here is video of that trip :)

Great video! Keep it up. I was wondering, how does your truck start in minus 40c temps?
That is north pole kind of cold!!!

To tell the true, my Lapocruiser spend winter in garage, it's 15-20 degrees warmer than outside :)
But also I have HZJ80 for everyday needs, it stands near the house all the time. For easier cold start I use Webasto cooling system heater. 20 minutes it makes engine +40 from -40 :)

Siberian winter use needs good oils (5w30 and 75w90) , good batteries, good compression, plugs and winter type of diesel fuel. If all these points OK, our "oldschool" engines can start without any problems! :)

But generally we prefer not to ride trucks when -40. It's not hard because -40 only a few days a winter. It kills rubbers and suspension, seals starts to leak, etc... It's cheaper to use taxi )))

-25...-30 is OK for ride :)

dr2.jpg

Hahaha, love the glow plug "candle"! I figured minus 40 be real cold. The coldest I had my truck sit out and start was minus minus 18c.
Truck started no problem! I was surprised..

Yes, they are right! They can not leave Japan as Toyota BXD10. Moreover, they can not enter Russia because of Euro-4 or something like this....
BUT! We should not give up!

These vehicles taking apart and leaving Japan as a spare parts kits ;) And then in Russia they are assembled again and registered as self-made vehicles. No more Toyotas! Now they are "Expedit vehicle" without frame numbers and civil license plate :) But anyway it's still MEGAcruiser! ))

"Lapo-" is made from Volvo Laplander axles. We call it "Laps" here, that's why LandCruiser became LapoCruiser :)
Also in russian word "lapa" means "animal's paw" :)

I never seen a Laplander with portals. I thought it was only the C303/4/6 with portals?

Maybe you guys just call them all Laplanders? They are similar.

10-15yrs ago there was a lot of the Volvo portal axles here in the states. They were being imported as the trucks came off the road and out of service in Europe. There was even aftermarket support in the way of disc brake conversions. I haven’t heard anything about that though in going on ten years.

Cheers

I never seen a Laplander with portals. I thought it was only the C303/4/6 with portals?

Maybe you guys just call them all Laplanders? They are similar.

Yes, right. We call it "Laplanders" here. It's a nickname instead of faceless "С" or "TGB"... :)

There was even aftermarket support in the way of disc brake conversions.

Yep, disc brakes much better. But I still with drums.
Volvo wheel disc offset ET +100 mm, it's very good for steering, for hubs etc. And wheelbase similar to Toyota on this wheels.
Also volvo hubs has 8 bolts, 8*222.2 This size is perfect for big tyres. That's why I use original hubs with drum brakes.

OK, let's go on. About winter and snow.

At February snow depth became too high for common driving. But the days became longer and longer, we do not want to stay home :)
But if you forget the main rules of snow driving. it will be funny.
The red circle on foto is tip of shovel handle :)

vesna6.jpg

o05.jpg

snow0.jpg

snow6.jpg

snow1.jpg

Last edited:
Guys who lived in Arctic part of Siberia, teached me how to move on deep snow.

We need big and soft tires. The most popular tires in Arctic is Interco Irok
Tires as big as possible. Air pressure as low as possible
And ride by short movements....
We starts to learn!

o26.jpg

o11.jpg

lcc04.jpg

roz09.jpg

dm20.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom