New Member KZJ-78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been a long-time reader of the forum but just recently signed up. I have a 1995 KZJ-78 Prado with everything stock including a stock, toyota navigation system which was a pretty big deal back then. It's nice for me because it means the dash is already framed for a double-din system. Photos coming soon.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some photos. The navigation system sounds pretty neat.

Welcome aboard!
I can imagine something like that being the bees knees back then. Crazy how advanced yet cheap modern head units are these days.

Yes please do post some pics!

Cheers

You're post has me wondering if the 1995 KZJ-78 I'm picking up next Friday also came with factory NAV. Well originally anyways. I'm in the Marine Corps and stationed in Okinawa Japan so the one I'm getting was brought to Okinawa from the main island. It has an aftermarket double din already installed but the dash pieces around it look factory. I'm having the dealer install a newer Pioneer head unit I purchased locally so that it will have CarPlay. The next week is going to crawl by for sure.

By soon, I meant 3 years later....

There is a box about the size of an old-school subwoofer amplifier in the back next to the rear door (driver's side) that is the brain for the navigation system.

The KZJ is in very nice condition with good maintenance. It's bone stock which was a selling point to me. I'm going to do some mild mods, but nothing major. This thing will spend the majority of its life on the road with gravel roads and then rare times off road. Nothing serious by any stretch. I bought the prado because of the straight axles, the front and rear coil over suspension, the turbo 4 cylinder diesel, and the list goes on.

Since I'm not off roading this thing and it will spend most of its life on road, combating snow and gravel roads, do y'all have a recommendation for tire size? The tires are stock and they feel small. Wheels are stock with the 20 degree offset (I vaguely remember they are 15"). I'm game to purchase new wheels at 16" or 17". I had a vehicle similar to this many years ago and ran 31x10.5's which did everything I wanted it to at the time. What is the opinion of 31" tires and skinnies vs wide? Most of the opinions I have found on the forum are directed towards offroad performance and looks. I also want to consider on-road driveability and I want to preserve the peppiness of the HZ engine.

IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

Wow! That is really kewl for 1995! I wonder if it is possible to load maps for your region on there? That "box" in the back, can you post a pic of that too? When I think "old school subwoofer," I am thinking 12" so that box would be pretty big! I would find that annoying taking up all that space. But, in 1995, they probably had to build a mini mainframe computer system, lol. I am surprised it is not the size of a fridge!

As far as tires, if you are pretty much only on road, then I would just stick with the stock size tire you are used to. Try to pick up a set of tires that do not pick up the rocks and throw them like crazy, and get mudflaps that are low enough protect your undercarriage. Sounds like you have a great level of experience with gravel road driving, so trust your instincts and stick with what you know works.

Larger tires will also affect the mileage and as you noted - the performance of the little 4cyl KZ. Stick with tires no wider than 10.5" otherwise you end up with wandering. This becomes worse with worn front linkage.

Stock tires on these Prados are really small; my LJ78 had 215/80R16 when new. If you want to stick with your factory 15” rims I would recommend 31x10.5x15 tires, if you change the rims to 16” then 235/85R16 is a great size.

The box is the size of an old amplifier for a subwoofer. I'll take a photo of it. If I don't go actually measure it, I'll get the measurements wrong, but here is my guess and I'll correct it in another post -- 12x7x3?

I've had a lot of luck using BFG all terrains in that they last forever and perform very well in a lot of the conditions that I use them for. There are probably better choices though. They do wear really well.

I'm thinking of ditching the 15's and going for 16's. The 235/85R16 would be a jump from 29.5" to 31.5" and keeping the same 9.5" width, right? I don't know that I need the width of a 10.5" and, as you mention Rigster, it might lead to tracking issues.

Has anyone used the light kit from the 70 series store to replace the old plastic for the signals? Are they any good or just the ebay stuff in a Land Cruiser website with a higher price? I've never bought from them and haven't been able to find reviews on their quality.

Hello,

Get 31 x 10.5 x 15 tires and do not look back.

Big, wide tires will kill your drive train.

Juan

The box is the size of an old amplifier for a subwoofer. I'll take a photo of it. If I don't go actually measure it, I'll get the measurements wrong, but here is my guess and I'll correct it in another post -- 12x7x3?

I've had a lot of luck using BFG all terrains in that they last forever and perform very well in a lot of the conditions that I use them for. There are probably better choices though. They do wear really well.

I'm thinking of ditching the 15's and going for 16's. The 235/85R16 would be a jump from 29.5" to 31.5" and keeping the same 9.5" width, right? I don't know that I need the width of a 10.5" and, as you mention Rigster, it might lead to tracking issues.

Has anyone used the light kit from the 70 series store to replace the old plastic for the signals? Are they any good or just the ebay stuff in a Land Cruiser website with a higher price? I've never bought from them and haven't been able to find reviews on their quality.

There are a few other retailers of these headlight kits, all with varying quality depending on who supplies the lenses, with prices going up accordingly. With some of the sites selling entire kits, it's hard to know who supplied what lens. I've tried the generic/non-branded LJ78/KZJ78 LED tail lights and the quality was okay for $60/piece. LEDs shined bright but red lens tint started to face within 6 months.

On my latest LJ71, I bought a complete crystal lighting set that contained DEPO pieces and I'm happy with the quality. If you can find these, you'll enjoy the upgrade over the faded yellow lenses. KZJ also has a fair bit more side marker choices than the LJs do. Good luck and awesome navigation system, by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom