Keyed 12 volt Source in the rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
I've already done the modification with a jumper wire under the hood witch turns all the sockets on full-time. I'm now looking for a separate 12-volt source that comes on with the ignition key to power a rear view camera. Back where the factory Jack is located, there are several different connectors. Surely, one of them has a 12-volt source That comes on with the ignition key that I can power the camera with. I do not want to hook it up where it only comes on in reverse. ... I tried using the search feature, but I couldn't find anything similar to this.

20200206_185231.jpg

Those connectors are mostly for the tail/stop lights and your Fuel Pump ECU. At first glance through the wiring diagrams the only thing I see that may be switched is pin 10 on the Fuel Pump ECU, a black-with-yellow-stripe wire, should be the only wire that color back there. It's switched by the EFI relay.

Also,
- Black-with-red-stripe wires can be switched or always-on. Probe those and see if you get lucky.
- Solid green and green-with-yellow-stripe wires are for tail/stop bulbs, respectively.
- White-with-black-stripe wires are ground.

I don't know how safe it would be to pull power from the fuel pump ECU to turn the camera on. Unless the wire is not pulling very much of a load. But simple used as a signal wire for a 12-volt feed.

Those connectors are mostly for the tail/stop lights and your Fuel Pump ECU. At first glance through the wiring diagrams the only thing I see that may be switched is pin 10 on the Fuel Pump ECU, a black-with-yellow-stripe wire, should be the only wire that color back there. It's switched by the EFI relay.

Also,
- Black-with-red-stripe wires can be switched or always-on. Probe those and see if you get lucky.
- Solid green and green-with-yellow-stripe wires are for tail/stop bulbs, respectively.
- White-with-black-stripe wires are ground.

Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram for that area?

I don't know how safe it would be to pull power from the fuel pump ECU to turn the camera on. Unless the wire is not pulling very much of a load. But simple used as a signal wire for a 12-volt feed.
That wire supplies switched power to the Fuel Pump ECU via the EFI relay. It would have no problem handling the additional load of a backup camera.

I have a cigarette lighter under the left c pilliar. That's keyed & that's what I use for my camera (tapped into it).

I have a cigarette lighter under the left c pilliar. That's keyed & that's what I use for my camera (tapped into it).

Can't use that one because I have modified my cigarette lighter sockets to be on full-time.

Is there harm to powering the camera full time? The display would be off so the power draw would be negligible...

Is there harm to powering the camera full time? The display would be off so the power draw would be negligible...
In theory there is a signal wire connecting the head unit and the camera (often runs just by the rca cable), and that acts as a switch for the camera. So the head unit signals the camera when to turn on via this wire. If this is the case, then the camera is basicly switched off (it’s kind of on stand-by), even if it has constant power. I’d still try and find a way to run it from a switched source, if all else fails, pulling in a wire that is switched, for this from the headunit to the camera isn’t too big of a job.

many many years ago, I put in a relay back there (2003) for the trailer plug, tapping into some wire that was only key-on. Forgot the details. There is a thread here on trailer power feedback something. Anyway, at least for that year, there was some sort of wire I could use. And a relay will address concerns about overdrawing power.
(OP, you may want to put your truck year in your sig.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom