Yanmar 6LP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have this in the shop that I can pick up for very short money, I rebuild these things for a living so labor is good, I know parts can be expensive but we get discounts so not to bad.
I have looked to see if anyone has done this but a quick search did not find me much so does anyone have any insight?
Also what about finding the 1HD Toyota parts I need to make this work?

Any help is appreciated

IMG_20190926_102141.jpg
IMG_20190926_102156.jpg

I would fix it up and sell it as a boat motor and use the funds to buy a proper Landcruiser turbo diesel. I think the cost of parts will outweigh the benefits of a cheap engine.
Lots of online places that sell OEM Toyota parts.

I would fix it up and sell it as a boat motor and use the funds to buy a proper Landcruiser turbo diesel. I think the cost of parts will outweigh the benefits of a cheap engine.
Lots of online places that sell OEM Toyota parts.
That is a possibility that said i was surprised when I looked the exhaust manifold intake manifold turbo air pipe and a lot of the other odds and ends on PartSouq.com it was under 1k that is without turbo

In theory it’s a cool idea. But you also need to factor in fuel pump resetting (and I’ll almost guarantee they’ll want to rebuild it to warrant it), engine legs, alternator, maybe starter, turbo as you say etc.. Rosco’s comment is boring but may well be right!

In theory it’s a cool idea. But you also need to factor in fuel pump resetting (and I’ll almost guarantee they’ll want to rebuild it to warrant it), engine legs, alternator, maybe starter, turbo as you say etc.. Rosco’s comment is boring but may well be right!
I agree with you but my hope is that I'm getting the engine for basically nothing I've got at least a year to get this done I can get some used parts from somewhere I have a lot of connections in the diesel world as far as injection pumps and things like that go and I have mud for such a great resource for getting it done 😁

I agree with you but my hope is that I'm getting the engine for basically nothing I've got at least a year to get this done I can get some used parts from somewhere I have a lot of connections in the diesel world as far as injection pumps and things like that go and I have mud for such a great resource for getting it done 😁

Do your homework, weigh up the cost, add about 50% for the ahhhfucket! factor then make a call.

You may only need to tune the pump. If it's for 1000hrs on it, its barely run in

The boring truth may make it illogical to build it up, but the cool factor may make it a appealing

Do your homework, weigh up the cost, add about 50% for the ahhhfucket! factor then make a call.

You may only need to tune the pump. If it's for 1000hrs on it, its barely run in

The boring truth may make it illogical to build it up, but the cool factor may make it a appealing
OH it's illogical but I do own and love a 23 year old gas guzzling dinosaur 😂

Cam may be cut for marine use?? Worth checking
I still can't believe that so much about horse power is down to cooling. These marine bastards, with the entire ocean to cool them make a ton more PS than the similar specked road cousins.

G

I still can't believe that so much about horse power is down to cooling. These marine bastards, with the entire ocean to cool them make a ton more PS than the similar specked road cousins.

G
I will check on that, I do know on our John Deere marine engines it's the same everything as a tractor but the fuel turbo and as you say cooling is different

G
I reckon internally they’re an FT. I don’t think Toyota make marine parts, and yanmar don’t alter the internals. So cam, pistons, cam, head etc. is the same. Also people go on about how much power they make and you need the ocean etc. but it’s only 300hp (220kw) - FTEs are putting that out at the WHEELS without breaking a sweat, a 300 fwhp automotive FT isn’t far fetched at all

I reckon internally they’re an FT. I don’t think Toyota make marine parts, and yanmar don’t alter the internals. So cam, pistons, cam, head etc. is the same. Also people go on about how much power they make and you need the ocean etc. but it’s only 300hp (220kw) - FTEs are putting that out at the WHEELS without breaking a sweat, a 300 fwhp automotive FT isn’t far fetched at all
I am a little worried about the injection system that is on this I want a very reliable engine and dont have a need for much power, I suppose I can leave it and watch egt's and adjust. I also think I need to look for a engine cooled aftercooler

I am a little worried about the injection system that is on this I want a very reliable engine and dont have a need for much power, I suppose I can leave it and watch egt's and adjust. I also think I need to look for a engine cooled aftercooler
I reckon it’ll be all wrong for a vehicle as is (the fuel pump) - the torque curve, max rpm etc. will be completely wrong. People do use yanmar pumps here every now and again (they’re an FT pump recalibrated, FT pumps are like gold here so can be a good way of getting into one) but are always reset on a bench first.

People generally call aftercoolers intercoolers in the 4wd scene - although they are technically aftercoolers. I assume you mean air cooled? Front mount is the go and there are whole threads dedicated to them

I reckon it’ll be all wrong for a vehicle as is (the fuel pump) - the torque curve, max rpm etc. will be completely wrong. People do use yanmar pumps here every now and again (they’re an FT pump recalibrated, FT pumps are like gold here so can be a good way of getting into one) but are always reset on a bench first.

People generally call aftercoolers intercoolers in the 4wd scene - although they are technically aftercoolers. I assume you mean air cooled? Front mount is the go and there are whole threads dedicated to them
That's good info thanks!

G

I believe Aussie guys are making equivelant power with aftermarket turbos, and pump work, intercooler, exhaust, custom air box etc

I am a little worried about the injection system that is on this I want a very reliable engine and dont have a need for much power

Everyone needs more power !!! 🤣

I agree with wedgetail, set it up right it'll make huge gobs of power without breaking too much sweat, and do it for years.
The engine doesn't know if it's making power for a car or a boat so long as you keep it cool and keep EGT at safe levels.

What's the standard service life in a native application before it would get an overhaul?

Everyone needs more power !!! 🤣

I agree with wedgetail, set it up right it'll make huge gobs of power without breaking too much sweat, and do it for years.
The engine doesn't know if it's making power for a car or a boat so long as you keep it cool and keep EGT at safe levels.

What's the standard service life in a native application before it would get an overhaul?
I am not as familiar with these engines but they are mostly pleasure boat applications and if you put 100hrs on one your doing well so what happens is time gets these more then hours, meaning it will have a oile line failure or an over heat caused by a chafed cooling hose and fail in that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom