Unobtainium (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I will get quotes of both aluminum and steel and see where that puts the project. I like the idea of aluminum as it is cheaper to manufacture and a better heat insulator but i also like the idea of all original.

Don’t forget fasteners and the bracket. If Zi May. Contact city racer. He reproduces multiple items and my give you some insight.

Man if the ‘78 and earlier mats had the Toyota logo I would have ordered one LONG ago.......

Sometime around this past New Years or there a bouts , I was Grazing for knowledge here in the Unobtainium

Thread & i ran across a Curious post from my Friend and fellow member @Helipilot . He was describing a missing part

he needed and where it was located were i always thought there was No part there .

So, ................

The Fuel Tank has a Drain Plug Much like the Oil Pan does , its a 17mm Hex tool , and there is a unusually large round hole

in the TUB around where the drain plug is located . Originally TOYOTA installed a Plastic or Nylon type Plug Or grommet

to cover and seal the large hole . part # 90950-01102

well i had never seen one growing up with various Land cruisers all my life , and started to wonder why ?

i stared looking at any 40 series i came across witch aren't many here in DC , but i did survey a few enough to conclude

the plastic plugs were Coming out by them selves over time and Not by PO meddling .................

i quickly concluded that the fluctuation between cold and hot , winter deep freeze and summer sizzle was likley

a contributor . Almost instantly i was Dreaming up Solutions with a Factory Focus Point Approach end goal result .

i decided to go with a Double Lip design and a Cold Climate spec. EPDM rubber type material .

after 2 long months , my samples finally arrived 🤔

they fit perfect and how i had envisioned when spec,d the design , Most of all they Look both Period Correct

and have a Factory Fit & Finish level .

Below is : Part # 90950-01102-R

View attachment 2055078View attachment 2055079View attachment 2055080View attachment 2055081View attachment 2055082

Hey Matt. Do you sell the OEM plugs for the drain holes on the floor pan L and R side?

So I will get quotes of both aluminum and steel and see where that puts the project. I like the idea of aluminum as it is cheaper to manufacture and a better heat insulator but i also like the idea of all original.
Actualy Aluminium has a lambda value of 237 where steel is at 50 meaning that steel is a better insulator by almost 5 times. Stainless is an even better insulator, about twice as good as steel.

Actualy Aluminium has a lambda value of 237 where steel is at 50 meaning that steel is a better insulator by almost 5 times. Stainless is an even better insulator, about twice as good as steel.

Aluminum will not rust. It should be good enough for the application. I'm sure Toyota went through the same design decisions.

Aluminum will not rust. It should be good enough for the application. I'm sure Toyota went through the same design decisions.
My reply was based on the remark that aluminium is a better heat insulator which it is not. In the end you just need to make sure there is enough airflow around the heat shield.

Next challenge for @Racer65 is a red floor mat for FB41 trim color :)
Not very common
4D362C75-685D-46C0-8E3A-2B3A65540DAB.jpeg

A2BA02CD-6BC8-4539-92BF-F6FBE5FA488B.jpeg

8D756F1E-9A95-4B29-9969-6F4EE1702197.jpeg

454C26D6-C774-4C9B-A31A-5C14034DA3AB.jpeg

That's probably a BJ41. Those have way goofy interiors.

That's probably a BJ41. Those have way goofy interiors.

Think I may have seen a mid wheel base in Europe with a red interior.

I actually like the brown interiors but the front and back mats are just the begining, still leaves seats, door cards, door handles, door pulls, window cranks and steering wheel to make it blend. Would probably paint the padded dash as a finishing touch. Cruiser painted mustard color with factory style decals would be one sharp cruiser.

Toyota was very Creative
Brown with a logo
View attachment 2060992

Brown without a logo
View attachment 2060993

Wonder if they dropped the Toyota 10/82 when the five speed became a option in some markets. The opening for the transfer case moved back on five speed models. The picture with the logo has a transmission shift cane boot from before 10/82. The one without is 10/82+.

@Living in the Past
So many versions to discover... It looks like for 5 speed and Brown mat(?) Toyota has reduced the logo and moved it to the seats
View attachment 2061022
View attachment 2061023

This picture highlights a few things. Clearly shows how the area with the inspection cover goes is raised. The shape of the opening for the PTO shifter is long and narrow compared to the previous years. 83/84 has a completely different shifter for the PTO. Lastly the shift knob for the transfer case is the 60 series style not the one used on the 8/80+ 40 series. This makes me wonder if this is a factory picture or something else.
49B63FDA-731A-44C8-B9DA-49552E846E17.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom