Rear Tail light housing adhesive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been slowly repairing my 1997 after a rear ending last year. (The axle removal and repair I will share in a different post.)

I am now at the point of putting the rear tail light back on.

This will be is a temporary fix so that I can get it inspected so that I can get it on the road for a little bit before I replace the entire side panel. See picture.

What adhesive should I use for the interior housing - the black plastic piece that holds the light assembly. so that it will remain water tight.

What's on it now it a semi-soft sticky black goo.

thanks Sarah

That semi-soft sticky black goo is likely butyl tape - butyl tape - Google Search - and I think it's what Mr. T. used on the lights from the factory. I don't see an issue using it again. Other than being a little messy, it's very easy to work with.

Have you tied just placing the weather boot over the fixture and running 1 or 2 of the mounting screws thru to hold them together while you fit it all up to the bodywork?

What did you end up using? I’m doing a similar repair now while replacing my light harness. Whatever the PO used left a horrible mess.

Also, anyone know what the large connector goes to (the two smaller ones plug into the factory light harness).

6D5D357F-C8B3-42CE-8595-7CAC2E8EE567.jpeg

I have dealt with a similar issue on the left side. Got everything repaired, but couldn't quite get the "bulge" as far outboard as I thought. This left the taillight housing sitting a little proud from the opening. I got a tube of black silicone adhesive for <$4 and used it to fill the gap. If I every do need to pull the tail light again to replace a bulb or whatever, it should peel back off easily.

8az3vA.jpg

That said, I didn't bother with trying to make the new tail light assembly fit into that mess temporarily. I found a trailer light that could do both turn signal and stop lights and screwed it to that bashed in corner. That kept me road-legal until I got things fixed.

SNIP

Also, anyone know what the large connector goes to (the two smaller ones plug into the factory light harness).

View attachment 2046303

The right side is slightly different from the left I bashed in, but I don't recall how. I think what you have in those 3 are (left to right) the tail light plug, the trailer harness plug and the side marker plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom