OME BP-51 for 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, tried searching the ih8mud 100 series and suspension forums for anyone who has tried OME BP-51 kit on 100 series, however no hits in search results. Please tell me someone has successfully modded OME BP-51 kit on 100 series out there somewhere, anyone?? Thank you for your time all! :)

I contacted, as you surely did, ARB-USA a few months ago about a potential timeline for BP-51 for 100-Series and it sounded like it is in the pipeline but no ETA; probably at least a year or two out. Not for the impatient :D

Thanks bro! yes they gave me the same song and dance when I called so was hoping to hear some shade tree engineer who has made it work well for their 100 series rig. I guess the old school black and yellow aint so bad, I mean its proven tough and rugged and all that so I probably cant go wrong there either. Its just suprising that other vendors indeed have a remote reservoir system for lc100 which seems to be selling in USA but the lc100 after market suspension 'PIONEERS' are struggling with making that work for 100 series which has a very loyal strong market base in this region who are ready and willing to pay $$$ for their previously preferred suspension vendor for LC100.

Thanks bro! yes they gave me the same song and dance when I called so was hoping to hear some shade tree engineer who has made it work well for their 100 series rig. I guess the old school black and yellow aint so bad, I mean its proven tough and rugged and all that so I probably cant go wrong there either. Its just suprising that other vendors indeed have a remote reservoir system for lc100 which seems to be selling in USA but the lc100 after market suspension 'PIONEERS' are struggling with making that work for 100 series which has a very loyal strong market base in this region who are ready and willing to pay $$$ for their previously preferred suspension vendor for LC100.
As great as the BP51s are, there are way better shock options offered to our US market. As you mentioned many other companies make reservoir shocks, some which are adjustable, etc. After seeing the BP51s on a few 4Runners and a 200 series, I'd still rather go with icon, slee, or another performance shock company.

Might want to do some research on shocks, there are many threads here on them. You mention going with the black and yellows, I recommend against that unless your carrying weight, even then people have not been pleased... the ride is too rough. Honestly I don't think ARB cares much about the 100 series, it's not a huge market for them.

As for the suspension "pioneers", not many people like to build kits for the 100 series due to the limited front shock travel and the torsion bars. That being said, @reevesci is in the process of becoming a tough dog suspension dealer. Tough dog is an Australian company that specializes in suspension and I believe their products are superior to ARB. They offer tons of shock/spring options for our 100 series.

With all that said, welcome to MUD!

FYI/FWIW: The BP51 shock is an externally adjustable bypass shock. AFAIK there isn't another externally adjustable bypass shock with this form factor/small package that competes. Adjusting the flow in/out of the remote doesn't accomplish the same thing ...

For our limited travel front suspension a bypass shock, assuming the ports are positioned/matched to the 100-Series travel perimeters, brings us true bottom out protection, among other features, that a simple remote shock with a little restrictor valve mounted on the top of the reservoir can't match.

FYI/FWIW: The BP51 shock is an externally adjustable bypass shock. AFAIK there isn't another externally adjustable bypass shock with this form factor/small package that competes. Adjusting the flow in/out of the remote doesn't accomplish the same thing ...

For our limited travel front suspension a bypass shock, assuming the ports are positioned/matched to the 100-Series travel perimeters, brings us true bottom out protection, among other features, that a simple remote shock with a little restrictor valve mounted on the top of the reservoir can't match.
This not similar? Internal bump, adjustable, foam cell tech though.

Tough Dog 4WD Suspension | 45mm Adjustable

That is for the rear and look like a gold Rancho 9000 :p
Highly different than a rancho 9000, and you can't fit that kind of technology in the tight travel restraints of our front ends.

I've been waiting on this shock too, lucky for me I'm patient. I've had the OME yellows for a while and love the sport feel! Matter of fact with a lifted truck I feel it safer to have a stiffer ride to diminish some of the sway of a top heavy vehicle. A month ago I got side swipped on the freeway going 65mph and like in the movies fought to keep the vehicle in control until it went straight! I don't know what might have happened with a softer ride, it was pretty violent. It's like I've been using OME's for years waiting for this moment...
Or maybe it was just my awesome driving skills??? Lol! Laughing now but pooped in my pants at the time! I had my bro, mother and girlfriend in my cruiser. Made it to my destination safe and in one piece.

I've been waiting on this shock too, lucky for me I'm patient. I've had the OME yellows for a while and love the sport feel! Matter of fact with a lifted truck I feel it safer to have a stiffer ride to diminish some of the sway of a top heavy vehicle. A month ago I got side swipped on the freeway going 65mph and like in the movies fought to keep the vehicle in control until it went straight! I don't know what might have happened with a softer ride, it was pretty violent. It's like I've been using OME's for years waiting for this moment...
Or maybe it was just my awesome driving skills??? Lol! Laughing now but pooped in my pants at the time! I had my bro, mother and girlfriend in my cruiser. Made it to my destination safe and in one piece.
It's not the stiffer ride, but I believe the OMEs don't have enough rebound. But honestly I have t run the shocks, so can't speak from personal experience, just expressing opinions of others.
See: 100 too stiff after OME medium lift

Only shock I really believe gives a "soft" ride is OEM. Shocks like Icon, fox, etc, are tuned specifically for our vehicles giving it the best handling/ride for most surfaces. Like the perfect sport shock.

I hear you DirtDawg.... that's what this forum is all about. Always appreciate the feedback.

Thanks all! I have previously run the black/yellow OME suspension and loved the ride, lift etc. that it provided was much improved over factory ride with the OME progressive springs. This LC100 is still almost bone stock and I'm waiting patiently to see if ARB gets the BP-51 integrated for LC100 series, hopefullly soon as this OEM suspension is still OK @ 200k mi but I can feel it starting to go. Thanks MMAAKK! Glad to hear that you and all your passengers were all ok! :) FWIW I do good amount of towing of my boat with this rig, highway etc. plus launching boat in some fairly nasty stuff to get into some lakes that I like to fish with no boat ramp etc. OME has always been great for my towing, getting in and out some fairly nasty situations and never once getting stuck, knock on wood... I'd like to rig BP-51 kit just because I've had great results from OME in past rigs and it seems to be the most up to date tech. suspension for LC200 etc. so why not make it work on LC100 right! :p Thanks all for your feedback, much appreciated!

The only experience I have with the BP-51 shocks was on a short pavement test drive of Christo's LX-570. Smooth, comfortable, compliant and controlled body roll are a few of the suspension attributes I remember.

I just want to clarify that I am not trying to down play the bp51s. Everytime I get to drive my friends BP equipped 4Runner, I get envious, because they are that amazing. The simple reality is that our front ends do not have the room in order to run an internal bypass shock. Maybe for the rear, but then you would still need a shock of similar performance to match the front. That's the downfall of our front ends, they're so compact that you basically have to run a resi to get the extra 1" of travel our rigs are capable of having.

Thanks for that link @spressomon still trying to learn more about all the different shock setups. Was just trying so propose a similar option, but realize they are different.

I plan on running tough dog once reevesci gets it sorted out. They offer a dual-rate coil, multiple shock setups, etc. Honestly they have some of the best suspension products I've seen for the 100 series, while still maintaining a decent price point. Hopefully they will work well for me as I just can't justify the money for icon.

Awesome, thanks for your response DD, I really appreciate your input! Good luck withbuilding up your rig. :) Thanks!

So...Has anyone fit a BP-51 set of shocks to the rear of your 100 yet? Kurt and the gang at Cruiser Outfitters say it might be possible but that there might be interference issues due to the BP-51 being a larger diameter shock. Just curious if anyone has tried it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom