CCA or RC.....what's more important? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went out to get a battery for my FZJ80 last evening, looking for a 27F, per the factory recommendation, in an AGM type. The only place that carries a 27F in an AGM near me is Batteries+ in Thousand Oaks, the epicenter of bar shooting and wildfires of late. And they didn't have the battery in stock. Given the price of the X2, I wasn't disappointed at all that they didn't stock it, and headed to a SEARS Auto Center a few miles down the road. Knowing SEARS doesn't have AGM 27F in their offering, I asked for a 34R and they had a few Advanced Gold 34R AGM sitting on the shelf. Price tag on the shelf says $172.99, and it comes with the height adapter. The sales guy fumbles with the price in the computer and tells me, the computer insists it has a $203.00 base price, and I point out what it says on the shelf. He nods and frantically keeps keying in.........stuff! The manager steps in to help him, and I am not sure what magic he does, the price on the computer matches the shelf price in a snap. I throw in my share of the $25M bonus for their execs this year, and they hurry me out the door and close shop, perhaps worried that I may ask who will honor the warranty if SEARS goes out of business before the battery conks out next year. I hope not, for everyone's sake, but who knows!

When I got home, I took a look at the new purchase I made. I never really cared much for what battery goes in my truck, and they hung in there for long periods of time. But lurking on this forum has taught me to be aware of every little thing that goes in that truck, and question everything! The price, the specs and other detail. Reading the various stickers on this battery, I noticed an anomaly. The top sticker says the part# is 50033, and the CCA is 725, RC is 185. I could swear in my research, the CCA was supposed to be 775 and the RC to be 120 and the part# was 50733. This must have been the root of the problem for the sales associate. Anyway, the CCA is disappointing, but elated about the RC. Then I looked at the front sticker, which said the CCA is 775 and no mention of the Reserve Capacity. And it looks as though this battery hasn't shipped to the store yet, because the shipping date says 12/18. Yup, it's more than fresh! I figured the stickers are human error, and I am not sure which spec this battery really is, but it raised curiosity as to what is more important, the CCA or the RC? I couldn't find a thread on it here, but can someone shed some light on it?

I will have to ask SEARS about the mismatched stickers, and if they can actually determine which of the two stickers is true. This is no Made in China stuff after all.

Last edited:
CCA is the important one as the battery has less juice when cold.

I read somewhere (here) the CCA requirement for the FZJ80 is 650amp. So, as long as you're above that, you should be fine.

That being said, you generally want to stuff the largest battery you can in there. The group 27 (F) is the stock size, and larger than the 34. The larger the battery, generally more CCA and RC (comparing apples to apples if it is a flooded/AGM battery).

CCA is more important for your starting battery and RC is more important for an auxiliary battery which is discharging over long periods of time to power accessories.

I hate being that guy, but I had that exact same battery you bought a few years ago and it crapped out on me in less than a year. I've been saving my money and buying larger flooded batteries (never had a problem with them) instead of paying extra for the AGM.

As they said, CCA is more important on a starting battery.

When you say "Advance Gold" is that the same as "Autocraft (Advance Auto Parts) Gold?" If so, you'll need the warranty. We replaced my wife's about every 9-12 months (on warranty) until we eventually got annoyed and just bought a different battery, even though ours was on warranty.

FWIW, I now exclusively buy Walmart Everstart MAXX batteries and they've been great.

I have definitely made the purchase in haste to get the truck back on the road again. They said it is a Penn-East manufactured battery, which seems to have a reasonably good reputation and thus my confidence. Not knowing where SEARS is going, it is a bit discomforting to know you have had bad experience with this battery in LESS than a year, bajaphile. I will have to safeguard the warranty/receipt, if they don't consider taking it back, and hope it outlasts SEARS by half a decade.

Advanced Gold is the name emblazoned in front of this DieHard battery. It could be the same as the one branded as Autocraft. But it is definitely the same as a Duracell 34R AGM, by look and specs, which is also a PennEast manufactured battery I am told.

Also, this 27F is hard to find. I can't find anyone that has them. Not at Walmart, not SEARS. X2 is the only one that I found, but I wasn't willing to shell out the 320 bucks for it.

Last edited:
I run dual Odyssey group 65-PC1750T batteries in my cruiser with controller. 950 CCA, but delivers 1750 CCA for the first 5 seconds. Needless to say it doesnt have a problem turning over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom