Audio question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What’s up H8’ers. Recently got my hands on some free decent quality subs in a box. Haven’t had “killah bass” since high school.

So I figured id try them out in the GX for fun. My question is this; has anyone hooked up subs/amp via the use of a line out converter with the ML/nav combo? I have searched and found, but wondering which speaker to tap into. And where to find the closest switched power near the boot. Anyone who can do the leg work for me completely would be appreciated!

C849DB4A-43CA-4A90-AF8B-07B50126F6CF.jpeg

"...killah bass since high school" Let me guess, that was less than four years ago? Really dude? Come on, I am not trying to flame you but your wording is a bit... "gangsta?"

Can't personally help at all with the sub request but, from an audio improvement perspective, be sure to at least get a USB DAC to improve source material sound quality (assuming you're sourcing via a phone or music player).

My $.02, this group (myself included) tends to look to optimize the little space we have available (e.g. drawer systems, overhead netting or other storage trays, etc.), not fill it with large, attention-getting, single-purpose needs ("killah base" sub boxes). Hoping you get some useful feedback, who knows.

Good looking rig....

Can't personally help at all with the sub request but, from an audio improvement perspective, be sure to at least get a USB DAC to improve source material sound quality (assuming you're sourcing via a phone or music player).

My $.02, this group (myself included) tends to look to optimize the little space we have available (e.g. drawer systems, overhead netting or other storage trays, etc.), not fill it with large, attention-getting, single-purpose needs ("killah base" sub boxes). Hoping you get some useful feedback, who knows.

Good looking rig....

Yeah you know what, you are right. Maybe the wrong question for this forum. Honestly, the question was more or less if anyone had ever run a LOC on a ML equipped GX. I would like to have a bit more bass than oem. The sub box won’t stay, id like to build a 10” sub into the stock location ideally.

Yeah you know what, you are right. Maybe the wrong question for this forum. Honestly, the question was more or less if anyone had ever run a LOC on a ML equipped GX. I would like to have a bit more bass than oem. The sub box won’t stay, id like to build a 10” sub into the stock location ideally.

I added a powered sub to a rear quarter panel (replacing the OEM sub) in my FJ80 that .... made a difference. It wasn't a great addition but it made a noticeable-enough improvement to keep it (too punchy, wasn't a full sound and not a harmonic complement to the aftermarket 2-ways I added to the doors, you sound like you enjoy audio enough to be able to discern a good vs. bad system). A similar but better product might work in the GX (don't quote me on that) in the rear where the little storage box/compartment is - might be able to cut that away and reuse the gained space but also keep it out-of-the-way (preserving space). Just a thought....

Good luck, let us know if you come up with something clever that you like.

:beer:

I replaced EVERYTHING and it is awesome. Alpine and JL audio. Did it in 2013 before hitting Moab. Been flawless.

I replaced EVERYTHING and it is awesome. Alpine and JL audio. Did it in 2013 before hitting Moab. Been flawless.

Interesting. I was kind of gun shy to do something like that due to the propriety of the system... everyone is always going on about how finicky it is to work on. So did you install new amp and head unit aswell?

Also look into signal processors designed to integrate aftermarket amps/speakers with stock systems. JL makes the Fix and TwK or Audison has the bit10 and bitOne that work. Other brands too but those are great options. The processor usually goes post OEM amp, flattens all the signals so you can take it from there and do whatever you want.

Interesting. I was kind of gun shy to do something like that due to the propriety of the system... everyone is always going on about how finicky it is to work on. So did you install new amp and head unit aswell?
Yep. Non nav so it was easier.

Also look into signal processors designed to integrate aftermarket amps/speakers with stock systems. JL makes the Fix and TwK or Audison has the bit10 and bitOne that work. Other brands too but those are great options. The processor usually goes post OEM amp, flattens all the signals so you can take it from there and do whatever you want.

Sounds to me like integrating these subs in with the ML system is a bit heavy for what im willing to do. I purchased an amp and a line output converter, my plan was to wire the LOC in on the oem sub terminals. Then run the amp off that. I do believe that there may be some ignorance on my part. I don’t want to cook anything.

Sounds to me like integrating these subs in with the ML system is a bit heavy for what im willing to do. I purchased an amp and a line output converter, my plan was to wire the LOC in on the oem sub terminals. Then run the amp off that. I do believe that there may be some ignorance on my part. I don’t want to cook anything.
This is what i did, installed the LOC by tapping on the sub wiring then ran power from the battery
It is vital that the amp you have has a remote so you can control the bass depending on the source.
Definitely improved the sound of my ML system. I only listen to Spotify thru my Grom and made the sound clear and detailed. I compare it to my LX470 that has a built system with Focal speakers

Last edited:
Nice, thanks @nikramos I appreciate the help, when I get some time I'll be doing it that way. Likely with one 10" sub. Then start saving for some decent component speakers

"...killah bass since high school" Let me guess, that was less than four years ago? Really dude? Come on, I am not trying to flame you but your wording is a bit... "gangsta?"

Really dude? "Gangsta" offends you?

And then he gets the high hat from a "space perspective".

Mod on JoshieWho!!!!
I want to hear how this turns out. Music is important to some.

Peace

Mod on JoshieWho!!!!

Peace
Music is extremely important to me, as I have premium audio in my three other vehicles and am building up a dual amped component speaker system with an under the seat subwoofer in my rig. It's the word choices used, that's what I was ripping him on.

I really like my JL Audio speakers with alpine head and amp. It is clean vs "big" and still gets it enough to enjoy the full range of sound.

Music is extremely important to me, as I have premium audio in my three other vehicles and am building up a dual amped component speaker system with an under the seat subwoofer in my rig. It's the word choices used, that's what I was ripping him on.

Right. Thats cool. Thats why Im ripping you on being a snowflake.

Mod on JoshieWho!!!!

Peace
Hahahahaha awesome thanks dude, Canadian winter is currently putting the breaks on the mod train. I think the plan is to run one 10" though and see how she goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom