Fixed the cracked 3rd brake light / water intrusion issue for five bucks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
If you're like me, you've been dealing with water intrusion through the rear hatch every time it rains. I mean like puddles of water on the rubber mat back there. The third brake light (the LED one at the top of the hatch) was cracked which I assumed was the problem. OEM replacements are $200 which is nuts and I saw a few threads on mud about aftermarket ones not fitting right. Not to mention, Toyota made the wiring harness on this thing a pain in the ass. None of this sounded appealing.

I grabbed some JB weld epoxy (4400 psi tensile strength, good stuff) and figured I'd just glue the broken pieces back together and then reinstall it. When I actually stood up on the split tailgate and looked down on the 3rd brake light from above I realized that the crack wasn't the problem. The plastic taillight had bowed out somewhat, and the foam gasket between the plastic light and the hatch had deteriorated. There was just this huge gap (maybe 1/4") that allowed water from the top of the car to just drain right into this thing.

The light is fastened to the hatch by two 10mm nuts (underneath two rubber grommets, and you'll need a deep 10mm socket). They are not torqued on very tightly and I made sure to go really easy on them when re-attaching. Didn't want to crack it on the other side, basically.

I got a $5 tube of GE clear silicone and went to town on this thing. I mean I put tons of silicone around where the gap was and then just pressed the plastic light parts back in place. Gently tightened the 10mm nuts and then got back up on the tailgate, and just used my finger to smooth down the silicone around the edges and wipe off the excess with paper towels. Then I ran some silicone down the crack "ridge" likewise.

So, I never used the epoxy and I don't think if I had that it would have solved the problem. Hopefully I never have to take this taillight off for some reason, but at least it's fixed.

10E60CEF-A19E-401A-9E7D-EFD1BBBC3045.jpeg

26ED5B63-73A1-471B-9C62-65E4A342CAC9.jpeg

C143966F-4CC9-471C-87F7-895E8B956599.jpeg

0A1618D8-C4A2-43ED-843D-B3C76653830C.jpeg

CEB8D51B-85E7-4514-9D3F-FB5BD9DE10DA.jpeg

I basically did the same thing with an aftermarket one. It was all kinds of weird fitting...so I took clear silicone and sealed the top and filled it up on the sides. I haven’t seen any leaks on the inside.

How did you access the 10mm bolts?

Open the top liftgate and look up at about where the brake light is attached. Two round rubber grommets just pop right out and the nuts are right there.

You’ll need to pull off the top trim of the lift gate too, then you can see the two round rubber plugs. Nuts hiding under there.

Butyl rope works well too for sealing.

9C02CC06-3496-4D82-A2F7-0D51FDB8B705.jpeg

Last edited:
You’ll need to pull off the top trim of the lift gate too, then you can see the two round rubber plugs. Nuts hiding under there.

Butyl rope works well too for sealing.

View attachment 1833838

Interesting. On my 01 LX I didn’t have to remove any trim, the grommets were just... sitting there.

Last edited:
Just wanted to follow up and confirm after the subsequent monsoon that the hatch area is completely dry now. It was 100% due to the 3rd brake light leaking, when I had the problem.

Thanks for this—discovered I needed to work the same problem this morning. It doesn't rain here often, but it finally did over the weekend, and I noticed my carpet was crunchy this morning, since it's cold out now too.

Thanks for this—discovered I needed to work the same problem this morning. It doesn't rain here often, but it finally did over the weekend, and I noticed my carpet was crunchy this morning, since it's cold out now too.

There is only one suggestion I hadn't already mentioned in this, and that would be to tackle the problem as soon as you can. I waited a little too long and got a musty/damp odor in the back (my rubber mat wasn't letting the carpet and carpeted cover underneath air out). I had to take my little portable carpet cleaner out and suck up all the water/clean it with some soap that smelled good.

There is only one suggestion I hadn't already mentioned in this, and that would be to tackle the problem as soon as you can. I waited a little too long and got a musty/damp odor in the back (my rubber mat wasn't letting the carpet and carpeted cover underneath air out). I had to take my little portable carpet cleaner out and suck up all the water/clean it with some soap that smelled good.

Oh you bet. Parts on order already!

Is it generally assumed that silicone is safe to use on automotive paint?

In terms of the paint finish? I honestly have no idea. All of the areas that I put silicone on are hidden for all intents and purposes, so I'm not worried :)

true...what was I thinking of by trying to use something that's supposed to create a water tight seal between 2 surfaces. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom