New to me Barn Doors resto advice (UPDATE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks.
I’m gonne replace my reelsteal rear tailgate panel with a set of oem barn doors I just got. There supper solid and came with all the hardware which I’m psyched about. Question is there going on my 77 which has the spare tire on the left and the license plate mounted on the right. Any easy way of taking the metal license plate mounting bracket off that’s looks tack welded on so I can remove and possibly mount it on the other side ?
Also I gotta get an impact crew driver to try and get all the stubborn screws to budge.

5FCC2EA0-46DE-422A-9DCB-BA18D1020C1A.jpeg

Sure.... anything is possible.

Cut it off or get another one, used, and weld it on the right hand door.

I used nut serts on my door to change hinge location.

Check it out on my threadhttps://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1979-fj40-old-school-overhaul.959705/

I made amby doors and barn doors share a hinge location.

Subscribed. I'll likely be attempting the same feat in a year or two so thanks for trail blazing! You've probably read much of it already but there's a lot of good info on MUD regarding JIS phillips heads, penetrating oil, manual impact driver (still on my list) and a big $*@(& channel lock! Good luck!

Subscribed. I'll likely be attempting the same feat in a year or two so thanks for trail blazing! You've probably read much of it already but there's a lot of good info on MUD regarding JIS phillips heads, penetrating oil, manual impact driver (still on my list) and a big $*@(& channel lock! Good luck!
Well I spoke with @82cruiser yesturday, and the consensus is to start with a more gentle approach in an effort to not brake off any of the welded nuts inside.
I’m gonna spray the screws everyday with pb-blast for 2 weeks, then heat them up an acetylene torch and try and turn them. Vice grips and impact screwdriver will be my last resort.

I made a tail gate out of two swing out doors. I then moved the licence plate bracket to the passenger side so my swing out tire carrier would miss it. I drilled out the spot welds. They popped off pretty easy. filling the holes on the other side was the hardest part.

I made a tail gate out of two swing out doors. I then moved the licence plate bracket to the passenger side so my swing out tire carrier would miss it. I drilled out the spot welds. They popped off pretty easy. filling the holes on the other side was the hardest part.
Can the spotwelds be grinded out with piercing through the other side ?

I drilled through them and filled them with a welder. I will take some photos tonight.

If you don't care to retain the original fasteners, take a 1/8 inch bit and drill thought the center of the Philips head. About 1/2 way should do it. Then get right after it with a impact screwdriver. It depends on how corroded the fastener is. You can try one for starters. I have the bracket that is welded to the door if you need another.

Kevo

If you don't care to retain the original fasteners, take a 1/8 inch bit and drill thought the center of the Philips head. About 1/2 way should do it. Then get right after it with a impact screwdriver. It depends on how corroded the fastener is. You can try one for starters. I have the bracket that is welded to the door if you need another.

Kevo
Good to know regarding the extra bracket. However what is the point of drilling a small hole halfway down each screw?

Good to know regarding the extra bracket. However what is the point of drilling a small hole halfway down each screw?
Drilling down though the fastener weakens it slightly and a little heat is generated at the same time. I have had good luck with this technique without having to resort to a torch. Is doesn't apply in all applications... some stuff it just rusted solid! Drilling 1/2 way is a starter, you can go all the way though if you choose.

PS- Make sure you drill straight!

Kevo

Just afraid of weakening the screw that way and ripping the head off when I go to turn it !
Drilling down though the fastener weakens it slightly and a little heat is generated at the same time. I have had good luck with this technique without having to resort to a torch. Is doesn't apply in all applications... some stuff it just rusted solid! Drilling 1/2 way is a starter, you can go all the way though if you choose.

PS- Make sure you drill straight!

Kevo

Can the spotwelds be grinded out with piercing through the other side ?

Ground, no; drilled, yes. Use a bit larger than the total diameter of the spotweld. And don't drill all the way through the first bracket.

Ok everyone I followed what 82cruiser did and cut my top hinges in half and staggered them so the hinge holes would now line up with the ambi door holes I have in my tub already. I fabricated a filler peace and welded them all together, I added a half inch wide panel to one of the doors so they will overlap swing that the later 40’S had wider tailgate openings, i also cut and extend the catch for the latch so it would reach when closing. I removed the License plate bracket with a spot weld remover and relocated it on the opposite door my daddy. Daddy wh license plate bracket with a spot weld remover and re-located it on the opposite door. And I also filled the old hole where the wires went through for license plate holder lights with a series of spot welds that I grinded smooth after. Everything fit great when I test fitted everything. This morning I dropped everything off at the paint shop. CANT WAIT !!
2C4D647C-F69F-47AB-9D19-AF1A45218FA1.jpeg
9694C948-ABC2-480A-B46B-CE262CBBC1EE.jpeg
98AF24B8-3258-4441-9B54-75DE6FF51C1C.jpeg
9694C948-ABC2-480A-B46B-CE262CBBC1EE.jpeg
98AF24B8-3258-4441-9B54-75DE6FF51C1C.jpeg
C2E8BA1E-E735-464B-B8D4-0DAEEF7E6451.jpeg

Last edited:
The true satisfaction of doing a custom job well comes from showing it to a layman. When they act confused, that they don’t know what the big deal is, that’s your reward. Everyone can tell a s***ty job; making it look like it belongs there is an art.

Decades ago I grafted a 1980 hardtop onto a ‘64 for a customer. It was a fair amount of work. When it was done he had it painted. When he returned, he told me he was disappointed that his friends didn’t think it was a big deal.

I told him it was a compliment.

The true satisfaction of doing a custom job well comes from showing it to a layman. When they act confused, that they don’t know what the big deal is, that’s your reward. Everyone can tell a s***ty job; making it look like it belongs there is an art.

Decades ago I grafted a 1980 hardtop onto a ‘64 for a customer. It was a fair amount of work. When it was done he had it painted. When he returned, he told me he was disappointed that his friends didn’t think it was a big deal.

I told him it was a compliment.
I like that! Thanks mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom