Why did you buy your Hundy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What I mean is, did you have a specific purpose in mind or did you feel like you were getting the truck for a reason? These trucks are starting to be 20 years old, but I know plenty are still on the road and extremely serviceable. Did you buy it for the reliability? To build an overland truck? By accident (not knowing what these trucks really were)? I was pretty much the last reason. I bought it because I got a good deal on it then discovered over time that I like it more than any other vehicle I've ever had (other than maybe my very first VW I built myself).

When I bought mine, I had been watching it sit unused for almost a year. I have always like LCs but never owned one and never really knew much about them. The only reason I bought mine at the time was I got it for a song because the guy wanted to get rid of it. I was selling another vehicle and didn't want to have a payment for a while. I planned to drive this truck for a year or so, get the major kinks out of it then let my son have it when he got his license. I'd move on to something else.

I've always had a relatively new vehicle (within 5-10 years old) for a daily. So when I bought this knowing nothing about it other than it was almost 20 and had been neglected for a while, I was apprehensive. I live in a rural area and drive quite a bit. 20k miles in a year is not unheard of.

A funny thing has happened on my journey over the last year. The sunroof is broken, the previous owner replaced the stock radio unit with an aftermarket but removed half of it at some point, the driver's seat is in pretty bad shape (especially after our puppy got a hold of it one day). It drives great, hasn't given me a bit of mechanical hassle other than the stuff I knew I had to do to it when I bought it.

Now, I still plan to give this truck to my son in another 6-8 months. But now I want to put another Hundy in the driveway.

me and my dad bought mine (im 14), as my first car, daily driver, and overland rig. My dad wanted to put me in a Land Cruiser, and we thought the 100 was just right. I actually ended up getting my friend to look into purchasing one as well, for the same reason I have mine. Mine is completely stock right now, but after we fix the frame issues, and other problems, its going to get a OME lift, ARB front bumper, Slee rear bumper, ARB fender bars and steps, Pioneer nav, and maybe some Corbeau LG1 seats.

I bought mine to save money. And it's working.

My Land Rover Discovery was dead. My Corolla was not big enough. Was going to buy a full sized super charged Range Rover. Found my Cruiser by accident.
One owner, bought brand new by a U of M professor. Never smoked in. Dealer serviced. He traded it in.

My 80 was worn out with a nearly dead and rapidly dying engine, a worn out interior, brake issues, etc. It was built up exactly the way I wanted, but just needed too much work and was no longer reliable enough to do what I wanted a Land Cruiser to do.

I shopped around for months, drove FJ Cruisers, Tundras, Tacomas, and some others, but they were all just a lot of money for a truck that was just transportation. I liked parts of all of them, but when I sat in the 100, everything was just where I thought it should be. I loved the form factor of the LC wagon, I had 11 years of knowing how to pack one for family trips, and the 100 just fit me right. And, I got a sweet '07 LC with 82K miles in awesome shape for about half of the price of the new Tundra I was looking at. And, three years later, I don't appear to have lost any money on it, if CL prices are even close. I still miss my 80, but the 100 really is a better vehicle for what I do in almost every situation. Almost. I don't trust it wheeling it hard, but I went a bought a 40 to build up for that need. Overally, I love the 100 and I seem to like it more and more as I drive it.

I bought my first one a decade ago after spending the second semester of my first senior year of college in South America. Seeing all the Land Cruisers and Land Rover Defenders everywhere really bit me hard. When I got home, I sold my Silverado when I found a mint 2000 for 15k that was only 7 years old. Too bad the depreciation on the 200s doesn't work the same way.

Anyway, I drove that 2000 for about 6 years and put close to 150k on it. Got the hankering for a new vehicle and traded it on a new F150 in late 2013. Nice truck, but about 6 months in, I really started missing my Cruiser. Ended up going to a 1st gen Tundra thinking it might scratch the itch of an "LC with a bed" but it just wasn't the same. Sold it and searched for months until I found my 03 in late 2016 for 11.5k. After test driving half a dozen LCs, I knew it was the one as soon as I saw it. Been driving it for almost 2 years now and don't think I will ever sell it. To me, the 100 is just about the perfect vehicle.

I have had a 40, an 80 and several Tundra' as well as 4 All-Trac Previa and then I got an '08 4runner V8 and it blew up!
I never really loved the 4runner and it failed to love me back so instead of building it back I sold it as-is and started looking for another Tundra really.

My biggest thing is driving position and comfort and most trucks were just not comfortable for me at all and especially bad for the long drives that I get paid to make several times a year and I compromised this in the 4runner too and was determined to not do so again.

The Tundra were all roomy and great even after the long haul so I had a baseline to look for and a Tundra was at the top of the list.

I drove an LX in the process and it was just right for me so I started hunting for an LC without the stuff that the LX had that I neither want or need and then a friend traded one in at his dealership and the match was made!

I am still not getting rid of my '01 Tundra either but the LC is part of the Family now for the long haul.

Bought my 80 by sheer luck. The 100 was a year in the making. One owner, all maintenance records, mostly dealer serviced. Wanted a cruiser my wife would drive. She thought the 80 was too big-100 is bigger! Going to wear out the 80, start driving the 100, and transition her to a 470.

I've owned a 56 Power Wagon, an 88 Grand Wagoneer, an early 90s 4 Runner and a 2001 Excursion (still have it) I wanted something I could use as a daily driver, was capable off road (primarily for hunting and camping), was reliable and wouldn't beat the crap out of me off road (like my Power Wagon and Excursion). I found a used 2000 LX470 with 170,000 miles for $6600 and have about $13k into it (includes purchase price) now. I've put 40,000 miles on it. I'm very happy with it, love the truck

When I bought my 80, I loved it, I was so excited to finally be a LC owner especially one that was 3x locked and with that body style. That was when I had two kids and more time to work on it. Then I started watching over-landing videos and I realized I wanted to do that more than crawling. Then I had a third child, so now I have zero time and with a family of five it was the power, room, safety, and "buy the nicest one you can afford", so I did just that. After a 4K mile road trip last month going up and down mountains and everywhere else off road in my 06, I made the right decision.

I had been wanting something bigger than my 07 JKU. After attending Expo West and seeing some good looking Hundy's it was pretty much decided I wanted one. I love Jeeps, and loved my Wrangler but I wasn't using it as Wrangler anymore. To me if you own a Wrangler, take the top off, remove the doors, really enjoy that aspect of it, since I had installed a roof rack for my RTT I was no longer using it in that capacity so wanted to move on to something that was reliable, offroad capable, and had creature comforts even for an older vehicle.

I grew up loving all the special units that served during WWII. Loved that LRDG driving Chevrolet trucks. Long Range Desert Group - Wikipedia Then became fascinated with their successors in Land Rover Pink Panthers. Wanted a Land Rover for that reason. Spent some time in the US Air Force turning a wrench on F-15's in the 1980's, and gained an appreciation for how expensive it was to maintain technology.

I noticed some 80 series running around town in my college years after the Air Force and started hearing about the dependability of Toyota. I once read and appreciated a David E. Davis (Automobile magazine) article on his experience buying an 80 series. This was before the "interwebs". Lusted after an 80 series and hoped to find one with lower mileage to be a long term keeper. The wife and I had a 95 4runner and learned to appreciate something special about Toyota off road vehicles back then. I never found the perfect 80 series, but in 2003 I found a 30k mile example of a 2000 Land Cruiser. We had months earlier purchased a 99 LX470 for the wife (I knew of it's connection to the Land Cruiser). I didn't want the electronics found in the LX470 because of my Air Force experience. Bless my wife - she encouraged me to buy it and I traded in a 99 4runner.

To this day I still have it. We had a 2003 Land Cruiser which the wife traded in for the BMW route (X6's) and I later bought a 2005 Thundercloud Land Cruiser. The old faithful 2000 Land Cruiser became the vehicle our nanny used to transport our precious baby girl (now a teenager - but forever my baby).

Later traded the 2005 for a 2008 200 series which is another story. Still have that 2000 and still daily drive her about 3 or 4 times a week for the work commute.

I did the ARB front bumper, winch, and OME lift a few years ago. Was going to complete the overland build but after I did the Doug Thorley exhaust and catback the girls complained about the noise. So I built the 200. However, the neighbors and friends all favor the old 100 on looks alone.

For having 'Old Faithful' for this long, there's been precious little outside of the regular service intervals. Front steering rack recently, along with radiator, CV joints, starter, but that's about it.
OldFaithful.JPG

I guess I'll have the old gal to the bitter end ;)

I stumbled into my 99 LC. My wife was convinced we needed a third row vehicle. After a couple of failed test drives, one of her trying to back an Excursion out of driveway and one of me seeing my reflection in a store window test driving a highlander, I quit looking and hoped her need for a third row vehicle would pass.

One afternoon I caught her researching new Honda Pilots online. I knew then I had to find something quick.

I test drove a severely neglected and exceptionally filthy 98. While this particular vehicle would never receive the wife’s approval, I loved the way it felt driving it. A few days of research here on Mudd and Expo portal I was convinced the LC was what we needed.

After a few months I found a beautiful 99 w/factory rear locker. All major maintenance was recently done and it had all the mods I wanted(lift w/brand new rubber, new head unit w/back up camera, LEDs inside and out ). I had to pay up for it(10k) but it was turn key and the wife loves it. I couldn’t be happier.

I was raising my girlfriends two grandchildern when their mom dropped tbe youngest off (born after the court gave the first two to my girlfriend) for a couple of weeks so she could get her s*** together. After 6 months it became clear he wasn't going anywhere so I needed a larger vehicle. Had a pristine 98 4Runner (<90K miles) but couldn't get 3 kid's in it for more than a mile or two before the fighting and crying started. I wish I could have kept the 4Runner. While it is probably a lesser vehicle and not as comfortable, it needed a whole lot less work than my 99 Cruiser has required.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in South and Central America as a kid living the expat life. Before we moved out of the Untied States, Mom and Dad needed a dependable vehicle, they bought a Brand New 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser with e-lockers. Since both parents were aircraft mechanics, they wanted dependability, reliability, something that was easy to work on when necessary, and something to get us to unknown parts of Mexico and South America. We drove that things from Mexico City to New Mexico, Colorado, and Wisconsin several times over 5 year. It never skipped a beat. All it ever needed was routine maintenance and tires.

After seeing several different Land Cruiser varieties used as working vehicles as well as recreational vehicles as I was growing up, I knew I wanted one.

In high school all I could afford for my first vehicle was an '85 Toyota Mini Truck, I paid $600 for it with a bad transmission, as I saved more money I moved in to a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser, from there I bought a 1973 FJ40 to play with, and then another FJ80. Over several years I've owned at least 6 FZJ's or FJ 80's, a couple 4 Runners, and a couple of Toyota Mini Trucks and a couple of Tundra's. The Land Cruisers have always been my favorite.

As an adult, I work overseas and I continue to get hauled around in different variations of Land Cruisers; 100 series, 105 series, and Prado's. No matter where we go, these things just keep on kicking and asking for more, they always get us home.

So, after selling all of my other vehicles to work overseas, I stored my Tundra in Texas. Since I've been working overseas, I started seeing a gal in Seattle and wanted to have a vehicle to drive,since I had my truck in storage in Texas, the only real option was to buy a Land Cruiser :). After spending hours surfing craigslist while I was out of town, I narrowed it down to a few that were still around when I got back state side. I picked up a one owner 2000 LX470 in Seattle two days after I landed. This is going to be my way of getting my girlfriend out and enjoying something that I like. It has all of the creature comforts anyone could want, its dependable, small enough for her to drive and park in Seattle, and something that I'm not going to cry over if it gets some parking lot bruises.

I've been telling my girlfriend for a couple of years now how I enjoy modifying and bastardizing Toyota's, she's getting to see it first hand. She's already started complaining about all the amazon orders with goodies and parts stacking up.

After that little novel...here's a couple photos of my very first 100 series in her stock condition until Tuesday when I can get my grubby paws on it.

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

My first car was a 1989 ford country squire station wagon. I and my friends loved the space. But i hated the horrible reliabity from the 1980's era domestic vehicles. I spent all my money fixing a series of 2 more crown vics and a grand marquis (all late 80's-92, and one 96)... They were all bought for a bargain and i never trusted driving them more than 100miles out from home because of all the repairs/money i had to put into them. (I didnt know anything about wrenching).
I then moved to the middle of idaho and got into hondas because all my friends back home drove the wheels off their 90's civics and accords without anything but tires and oil changes. I bought a del sol and fell in love with imports and discovered my ability to fix and service my own cars via youtube.
I joined the air force, (aircraft maintenance), got married, and have been stationed in califoria for roughly 8years. When i sold my latest daily driver (a beautiful 99 prelude in perfect cosmetic shape, but about to depreciate), i decided i wanted a 4runner after discovering the t4r forums, and all the service information they provided and all the relevant knowlege they provided on that forum (and a few other forums). I ended up missing the point and buying a 2wd 2002 4runner for a bargain (needed maintenance i knew could do). But man was i disappointed that i bought a 2wd. I polished that 4runner into beautiful shape, baselined it myself, and drove the snot out of it. My wife loved camping in it. As i was approaching 200k miles i knew i was going to have to invest some decent money into front end suspension components and tires. And spending over 1500 dollars on a 2wd wasnt acceptable to me. Especially as that vehicle was in the process of depreciation as well. I had to cut it and run. Thanks to this very forum i had been day dreaming and windowshopping 100series cruisers for over 2 years. I even expressed to my wife that this is going to be my next vehicle when the time is right. I had mentally prepared her for it by watching expedition and overlanding cruiser videos the entire time. Sublimminally warming her up to accept and fall in love with the idea of us purchasing a 100series and slowly turning it into our family adventure rig. We now have a 2.5 year old son and she was approving of the idea when i weighed the cons of keeping the 2002 4runner (we named it the milk wagon because she always had to have me pull over to breastfeed our son on our adventures), and stepping up to a cruiser.
We ended up with a 2002 that has spent its entire life in california. (Named ThunderTruck) The wife loves it (minus the gas consumption) and i couldnt be happier. In fact, my wife goes on instagram and looks at hundies and has decided that a rtt would be nice to have in the future. I unfortunately told her that we must take it slow and bulletproof it (once i get home from my deployment) first. Then tires and lift, then the tent. I cant wait.
I also will be able to purchase another zippy small honda to cheaply commute to work to save gas in once i finish and sell my 1960 f100. This will also save me money because with 2 cars i will be able to afford the vehicle downtime to wrench the hundie myself, saving me much money. If i get too deep, i can drive it to mudrak and pay for the expertise. And finally, dissent is a hour drive away so when its time to purchace bumper(s), i will be in uhaul trailer distance. And trail tailor likewise for suspension and other accessories. 4x4labs too. Hopefully i dont pcs too soon as the location situation is looking good.
Long story short. This forum and all the members contributions to the knowlege, preservation, and full enjoyment these rigs to their full potential brought me to buy and love land cruisers.

Last edited:
Long-time toyota owner. The 40 wasn't cutting it (for long trips, no top, no heat, no nothing). The 80 was too much of a dog on the highway (the six cylinder was a problem for my usage). The 100 I can sleep in the back with everything shut, no problem. I couldn't do that in a JK (I still am jealous at all the aftermarket support the jeeps have)

Everyone that rides in my 100 LOVES it. "I can't believe how comfortable it is" while hammering down severe washboard at 70...I give the Icon shocks credit for that

Last edited:
I have had several 40,s over the years then I bought a 60 wanting more room since a little camping gear and a dog filled the 40. I also had a 3/4 ton truck payment I wanted out of , so I was able to sell it and buy the hundy with the equity. love my 60 and hopefully will have it a long time but I wanted something I could comfortably take longer distances and still run moderate dirt. I had started a search for a locked 80 then several friends in the cruiser community told me a 100 would be much better suited to my needs. I had always looked at them as a soccer mom mobile but they are cruisers after all. It took a few trips with some guys in hundys to see they were for real and if moderately built could run most of what I want to do. I gave up rock crawling years ago and now like just exploring and camping backcountry. So a fairly local clean 100 that was known by friends, with great service records became available here on mud I drove to Ms to check it out. I had never even driven one. This one had a moderate build and everything worked and was a rust free southwest truck most of its life. After driving it I was hooked and bought it. I’ve thanked the previous owner @SHUSH several times. I’ve added sliders , winch and a Slee rear bumper, front runner rack over the couple years I’ve had it. I took a 3200 mile trip to Az and Utah this spring that included to many miles of washboard dirt that should beat a vehicle down to a beat rattle trap, but when I hit pavement the ride was rattle free and just as good as on the way out there..these are solid vehicles. I have 2 more trips west coming up this fall both being in excess of 3K miles, and including a lot of dirt and some very remote country. I would never consider doing this in any other vehicle with 230k on the clock . I just love this vehicle and wish I’d bought one years ago. Here’s a pic of it shortly after buying it and one a few months later then a more recent pic from this springs trip to Utah in the wrong order but you can figure it out lol
96F67677-3F41-41BA-90CB-5CF405831602.jpeg
92C9083A-C98B-4CDC-AE9F-9EB32E64A42C.jpeg
C6D4AD75-D9BE-4FC7-9D89-58CC98EA03F5.jpeg

Last edited:
First I got it to save money because of its reliability on maintenance and wanted good re-sale value.
Also wanted a good vehicle for road trips with friends to Tahoe and nearby attractions.
Later I fell in love with its style and how easy it is to work on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom