Need rear bump stop recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to shake my head when I read the Timbren product features. “Maximizes wheel travel” it says. Well that’s a blatant lie.

Sorry I couldnt help myself. If you need to limit wheel uptravel for a big tire, I’d find a fabricator that can make little 1/2” - 3/4” drop bracket for the existing bump stop.

But will probably cost $200+ also.

Don't the 34's make good bump stops?

Are the tires contacting something at the upper end of the stroke? I assume the fender? I'm surprised no one ever rolls fenders. Or is it not hat close? I did it so much, I owned an Eastwood fender roller.

Limiting travel seems to be counterproductive.

Have you considered a mild modylift? Something like 3/8-1/2" should do it.

Yea, looks like it's the only option for something that doesn't require much modification. Custom fab would definitely cost more than 200 for both.

Are the tires contacting something at the upper end of the stroke? I assume the fender? I'm surprised no one ever rolls fenders. Or is it not hat close? I did it so much, I owned an Eastwood fender roller.

I probably wouldn't do a body lift on my rig. Maybe a 10mm spacer for the rear springs when i get 2723s installed. But still gunna install bigger bump stops.

My 35’s have skimmed a bit of wheel well liner coating off the rear wells in a spot...but that’s with no change to stock stops and catching air on a bounce (so hard hits at speed!). Not recommending that...but just saying it’s not assumed that you need massive timbrens.

I actually hate my big timbrens in front. Overly limiting up travel.

Do take a look inside your rear wheel wells though. There are a few nasty protrusions you can either bend or trim...including one bare, threaded bolt(!!) that sticks down on the driver side front half of the rear we’ll... No idea what it’s doing there... :)

My 35’s have skimmed a bit of wheel well liner coating off the rear wells in a spot...but that’s with no change to stock stops and catching air on a bounce (so hard hits at speed!). Not recommending that...but just saying it’s not assumed that you need massive timbrens.

I actually hate my big timbrens in front. Overly limiting up travel.

Do take a look inside your rear wheel wells though. There are a few nasty protrusions you can either bend or trim...including one bare, threaded bolt(!!) that sticks down on the driver side front half of the rear we’ll... No idea what it’s doing there... :)

Thanks for that info! I ended up buying the parts on the OP. I'll have some photos when I install them this weekend.

Curious to know what folks here are doing if anything at all to address the rear tires rubbing the upper fender. My 34.0” tires at full compression have rubbed the top of the wheel well raw in a few spots.
I have the Duro bumps on the front and rear which have made a massive improvement in ride quality. As evidenced they don’t limit up travel which was initially my desired objective.

Now I have plans to run a larger tire between 34.3-35” which would result in up to another 1/2” of tire extending upward into the wheel well.

Brain storming here I figure I could
Add a short swim between the bump stops and frame to extend them down a fraction?

The fronts all clear so its just the rear that I would like to address.

IMG_2993.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious to know what folks here are doing if anything at all to address the rear tires rubbing the upper fender. My 34.0” tires at full compression have rubbed the top of the wheel well raw in a few spots.
I have the Duro bumps on the front and rear which have made a massive improvement in ride quality. As evidenced they don’t limit up travel which was initially my desired objective.

Now I have plans to run a larger tire between 34.3-35” which would result in up to another 1/2” of tire extending upward into the wheel well.

Add a short swim between the bump stops and frame to extend them down a fraction?

The fronts all clear so its just the rear that I would like to are

Shimming your durobumps is a great option. You won’t miss that 1/2 to 1” up travel with a bigger tire.

Shimming your durobumps is a great option. You won’t miss that 1/2 to 1” up travel with a bigger tire.
I think i may go this route of adding a small shim/spacer to gain some clearance for the time being.
Going up to a 35" will need at least 5/8" to 3/4" spacer which makes me a little uneasy adding that much materieal between the bump stop and frame. Ill probably look into getting some extended bumpstops by design when that time comes.

@tbisaacs Since up sizing from the 295s to your full blown 35s how has the experience and process gone, any unsual discoveries to report? My 34's have been great since uprising from 33s and i should probably just leave it alone at this point but there's always that itch to strach.

I think i may go this route of adding a small shim/spacer to gain some clearance for the time being.
Going up to a 35" will need at least 5/8" to 3/4" spacer which makes me a little uneasy adding that much materieal between the bump stop and frame. Ill probably look into getting some extended bumpstops by design when that time comes.

@tbisaacs Since up sizing from the 295s to your full blown 35s how has the experience and process gone, any unsual discoveries to report? My 34's have been great since uprising from 33s and i should probably just leave it alone at this point but there's always that itch to strach.

Mostly boring thanks to all the examples to follow. If I had stayed with a more conservative offset they would have more or less been bolt on.

I've had front Durobumps (DBF17T) for awhile now and they are a GREAT upgrade for what feels like endless plush suspension. Huge hits are managed with grace.
As I get ready for next stages of mods, added matching rear Durobumps (DBR375). It wasn't so much of a need because there has always been more travel in the back and at least in my use, rarely ever see g-outs that feel really abusive. Adding them just the same for insurance and mechanical sympathy, and maybe a bit more tire clearance for future.

Here's what they look like side-by-side against the stockies. Stocks were shimmed down about .25" (for AHC long travel) hence the slight mods, but it's pretty much in its stock form other than the drilled out mounting hole.

1711483260295.png

Haters will hate but its works just fine:
IMG_3971.jpeg

The fronts all clear so its just the rear that I would like to address.

View attachment 3562355

View attachment 3562356

View attachment 3562358
If that’s all the rub you have, ignore it and roll on ;)

I have durobumps and I’m not seeing any contact on my 35s but it could just be lucky. I never had any on 34s. Maybe it’s my offset? I don’t try to catch any air, but the trailer will definitely cause me to hit the rear bumps more often than I’d like. If I did make wheel well contact (more than what you have) I’d start with a 1/4” piece of aluminum as a spacer and go up from there if I still see contact.

If that’s all the rub you have, ignore it and roll on ;)

I have durobumps and I’m not seeing any contact on my 35s but it could just be lucky. I never had any on 34s. Maybe it’s my offset? I don’t try to catch any air, but the trailer will definitely cause me to hit the rear bumps more often than I’d like. If I did make wheel well contact (more than what you have) I’d start with a 1/4” piece of aluminum as a spacer and go up from there if I still see contact.
Yeah i agree, at the moment its a non issue with the tire at 34.0"
Seems like anything much larger will definitely be rubbing things raw in the wheel wells and possibly coming in contact with the rear bumper.
When the times right I may be upsizing to LT295/70r18, LT285/75r18 or 35x11.5r17. All of these sizes will need me to address this with larger bump stops to limit up travel just a smidge. Also seems like anything above 34.4" may contact my rear Dissent bumper as the tire gets stuffed into the wheel well. Adjustable trailing arms to correct this?? Easy answer is just leave things alone and stay at a 34" and move on to obsess abount somethng else lol.

Yeah i agree, at the moment its a non issue with the tire at 34.0"
Seems like anything much larger will definitely be rubbing things raw in the wheel wells and possibly coming in contact with the rear bumper.
When the times right I may be upsizing to LT295/70r18, LT285/75r18 or 35x11.5r17. All of these sizes will need me to address this with larger bump stops to limit up travel just a smidge. Also seems like anything above 34.4" may contact my rear Dissent bumper as the tire gets stuffed into the wheel well. Adjustable trailing arms to correct this?? Easy answer is just leave things alone and stay at a 34" and move on to obsess abount somethng else lol.
Yeah. I will say the real danger zone is right at 35”. I ran a 295/70/18 Toyo MT with zero issues but when I moved to 285/75/18 Toyo Mt things went south.
I was crawling and playing in some v-notches at Windrock a few years ago and was stuffing the rear pretty good. When I got back to camp the rear liftgate wouldn’t open more than 2-3”.
I ended up having to go to a body shop to have it opened and the driver upper hinge was bent pretty bad. I replaced the hinges but it still doesn’t fit well. Now it’s leaking some when it rains and I’m still working on getting it right.
Long story short if you run close to a 35 definitely extend your bumpstops. Especially if wheeling hard.

Yeah. I will say the real danger zone is right at 35”. I ran a 295/70/18 Toyo MT with zero issues but when I moved to 285/75/18 Toyo Mt things went south.
I was crawling and playing in some v-notches at Windrock a few years ago and was stuffing the rear pretty good. When I got back to camp the rear liftgate wouldn’t open more than 2-3”.
I ended up having to go to a body shop to have it opened and the driver upper hinge was bent pretty bad. I replaced the hinges but it still doesn’t fit well. Now it’s leaking some when it rains and I’m still working on getting it right.
Long story short if you run close to a 35 definitely extend your bumpstops. Especially if wheeling hard.
WaWaWeeWa! Thats impressive and well done. If it happened to anyone here my money would be on @ga12r1 to stuff a tire so deep that it induces a tailgate failure and water entrusion. Wholly moly lol!
Appreciate sharing these details. This has me calling it quits at LT295/70r18. I dont really want to limit uptravel, I like how flexible my 6,800bpound girl can be in the trenches.

Well just remember if you do need to bump down you can get that travel back fairly easy in a few ways. Im bumped down 3" in the back now because of my 37s but I have 2" rod end extensions on my Kings and I moved my rear shock mounts up nearly 2". So I actually haven't lost any travel. 👍

Well just remember if you do need to bump down you can get that travel back fairly easy in a few ways. Im bumped down 3" in the back now because of my 37s but I have 2" rod end extensions on my Kings and I moved my rear shock mounts up nearly 2". So I actually haven't lost any travel. 👍
Impressive. Good stuff! Once the 200 is finished with trader joe's runs and kiddo duties i am going to pick your brain to get the deets on this setup.

Did you change the rear upper mount locations? Would love to see that if so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom