Your favorite stoves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an MSR Dragonfly and a two burner Coleman. I am thinking about updating/upgrading to a Partner Stove. Does anyone here have any experience good or bad with Partner? Other/better recommendations?

I have made the move to a Blackstone 17" griddle. I also have a small single burner to heat up water for coffee. I had the Blackstone out last weekend and cooked for 8 people camping. That was probably the largest group the 17" can cook for. They also make a 22" if space is not a factor. I like the Blackstone because I can crank out the food and it makes cleanup a snap. I can do fajitas, burgers, steak, hot dogs and brown meat for tacos. For breakfasts I can crank out 2 lbs of bacon, pancakes and cook over a dozen scrambled eggs at a time. I can heat 5 tortillas at a time for tacos. Cleanup just involves scraping the griddle off. No pans to clean. You can cut right on the surface as you cook so it really is convenient. The food tastes great. I had a Coleman 413 and the Blackstone does not take up much more room in my storage container. Couple this with a single burner for any sides, rice or water boiling needs and you are set.

I have made the move to a Blackstone 17" griddle. I also have a small single burner to heat up water for coffee. I had the Blackstone out last weekend and cooked for 8 people camping. That was probably the largest group the 17" can cook for. They also make a 22" if space is not a factor. I like the Blackstone because I can crank out the food and it makes cleanup a snap. I can do fajitas, burgers, steak, hot dogs and brown meat for tacos. For breakfasts I can crank out 2 lbs of bacon, pancakes and cook over a dozen scrambled eggs at a time. I can heat 5 tortillas at a time for tacos. Cleanup just involves scraping the griddle off. No pans to clean. You can cut right on the surface as you cook so it really is convenient. The food tastes great. I had a Coleman 413 and the Blackstone does not take up much more room in my storage container. Couple this with a single burner for any sides, rice or water boiling needs and you are set.

Haven’t heard of them, but will look into them. Thanks for the recommendation!

I was using a MSR Dragonfly for the longest time - I don't eat fancy in the field, so for me boiling water for Mountain House was the main use. My wife likes to cook, but didn't really like it for cooking. We recently bought a Partner 22" two-burner stove. I don't think there is anything else that closes compares to a Partner stove in terms of build quality and flame control - it is top notch all the way around. Expensive, yes, but you're likely to never need another stove.

I use a MSR dragonfly for simple meals and winter cooking. Coleman dual fuel two burner for the rest of the time. I'm tempted to switch to the Partner, but this requires carrying the fuel tank on the outside of the truck, and I don't really have a place where I want to carry it. If you have a swing-away rear bumper, and can carry the fuel tank on that, then I think the partner is a great choice.

I bought a 22" Partner Stove back in 2012. Finally mounted a 5 lb propane bottle on my rear swing out and used it for the first time this month :slap:

Its not small, it's not light, and it's not cheap, but it's a kickass stove. Very happy with it.

I bought a 22" Partner Stove back in 2012. Finally mounted a 5 lb propane bottle on my rear swing out and used it for the first time this month :slap:

Its not small, it's not light, and it's not cheap, but it's a kickass stove. Very happy with it.
And Made in the USA! Also has a replaceable parts kit for like 40 bux that can be ordered. I have a Jetboil Minimo in my 18 wheeler! And a Jetboil flash plus the 18 inch partner stove for my 80! I do like the griddle on that blackstone stove though. Looks practical.

I’ve been using my Partner Steel Stove for about 2 years, maybe 40 nights camping. I enjoy everything ab;ou it, added a cast iron griddle/grill and it doubles for my bbq.
A5B66265-7DB3-4202-834B-30A0FCCCB89D.jpeg
09788A31-007B-4FE8-8FB1-5FA633072411.jpeg
6C980B7D-782C-4C44-82DE-294A33B21E7D.jpeg
1F1A6B19-1337-4251-84EB-852BEA8CB5FE.jpeg

I bought the adapter for the 1lb propane bottles, easier than carrying a 6lb or 11lb propane tank.

I used to co-own a business that had a fleet of Partner stoves in expedition service for many years. Their casing is very well made and they're highly durable, but like any stove they too require maintenance (nozzles, gaskets, and keep threads at gas line connections free of sand).

Partners are great for commercial expedition use, trip after trip, year after year. But in my Land Cruiser you'll find, for $300 less, a very reliable $42 two burner Coleman (with built-in wind screen) fit to a one-gallon propane and an MSR pocket rocket for fast morning coffee.

Stuck to an MSR Whisperlite and a $5 Coleman for the last 15 years. Lost the MSR when a bunch of gear got stolen last summer and replaced it with a multi fuel Primus that takes isobutane, white gas or diesel. It also simmers much better than the Whisperlight. Still use the coleman and have no need to replace it. But I did rent a Partner Steel stove for a 21 day rafting trip. I have major stove envy. That sucker is dead simple and bombproof.

I also have a collapsible titanium wood stove for winter backpacking in a floorless shelter. Works great as a cook surface for a small pot.

Seriously, a $20 Coleman off Craig's for the win. It will out cook, out last, any other stove. Learn to light it. Can be rebuilt in the field with a crescent wrench. Partner stoves are good and pretty, but then you're committed to additional propane tanks and O-ring replacements. Gasoline, on the other hand, you already have.

I find it interesting, that if Coleman stoves were the band new thing today, they would be the "hot" expedition item. But instead, they are still excellent from all the way back in the day. Just got back from 10 days in backcountry Utah. Coleman 426 stove every meal. Worked great to over 10,000 feet and below freezing. And less than 1/2 gallon of fuel cooked every meal, made every cup of coffee, and added no drama to the trip.

Aren't you from Canada? Wait until it gets cold.:D

More seriously, I like the Partner stoves too, but I don't like propane.

And Made in the USA! Also has a replaceable parts kit for like 40 bux that can be ordered. Looks practical.

Lol-realize for that same $40 you could buy 2 Coleman stoves and enough fuel to last a couple of years. And if your vintage Coleman ever needs repair, parts easily available to get it back up and running for small $. $1 fuel cap gasket, $2 Pump leather, $10 generator makes for a new stove that will last as long as you do.

All my food stuff is a write off for my 18 wheeler! And I have no kids so I need lots of write offs. But I always mention the made in USA since lots of people are interested in that.

Gasoline, on the other hand, you already have.

Speak for yourself :D

Aren't you from Canada? Wait until it gets cold.:D

More seriously, I like the Partner stoves too, but I don't like propane.

Yeah, but I'm in Vancouver - all it does it rain.
And Partner Stoves don't rust...:p

heh, I love old Coleman stoves too.

Im been daily driving an old 413 that was rebuilt by @Cruiserdrew ... it is a dream to use. I bet it works better than the day it was built. :) no joke. Thank You, Man!:cheers:

For the lighter and less frequent stuff, my SVEA 123 is too dead simple and functional to move on from. step 1, pour gas on it. step 2, light it on fire. step 3, cook.

I like the Coleman but it does not work for my needs. Cooking for 8-10 people on 1 Coleman stove is almost impossible. I like being completely self contained in the LC so I can't bring both or a large grill. The Blackstone allows me more surface area to cook and it saves me from washing pans. I have the 413 and the 426 Coleman.

Im been daily driving an old 413 that was rebuilt by @Cruiserdrew ... it is a dream to use. I bet it works better than the day it was built. :) no joke. Thank You, Man!:cheers:

For the lighter and less frequent stuff, my SVEA 123 is too dead simple and functional to move on from. step 1, pour gas on it. step 2, light it on fire. step 3, cook.
I have not used my Svea 123 for several years, but keep it for sentimental reasons. Once one has mastered its use in a variety of locations - you feel you have attained something!
I used an MSR whisper stove in England several years ago, and while it does not simmer - it boils water faster than my stove at home - which is nice for making tea during the sometimes freezing English summers!

I have also noticed that more parks are not allowing the use of white gas stoves - which is a problem at high elevations.
Gil

@gil12 Which parks are not allowing white gas stoves? Never heard of this.
I stand corrected - it was not parks, but rather a couple of private campgrounds - one was in Big Bear (Camp Oaks, where the RTMC astronomy group meets each year) - that did not allow white gas stoves because of "fire danger". I found this reassuring page from the national parks that confirms that white gas is OK there even under "extreme fire danger" levels.
Fire Restrictions - Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

Thanks for questioning me, I am glad to see I was wrong! I'm going back to my beloved coleman white gas stove! (and maybe even the little Svea.)

Gil

Scored a vintage Whisperlite at a garage sale Friday for $5. No fuel bottle. It's older than my mid-90's International. New o-ring where the fuel hose goes into the pump and she's a runner. I have so many stoves I haven't run the International in years. What a cool simple reliable stove. Think I'll get a new bottle for it and throw it in a vehicle and keep it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom