H55f Trans Fluid Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I replaced my transmission fluid with Redline MT-90 (GL-4) about 4 months ago, with only weekend driving since. I can't have put more than 1500km on it since (liberal estimate). Recently the stick has lost a lot of smoothness and become clunky and rough. The roughness is only in the stick - I don't notice any decrease in performance in the synchros.

Initially I thought I'd lost a lot of fluid leaking into the transfer case as tends to happen on older 4x4s, but i checked the level and fluid came dripping out of the tranny fill plug when cold (perhaps some leaked the other direction?). Is there anything that could cause a dramatic loss of viscosity in GL-4? Can engine oil leak into the tranny somehow? Or could something be loose in the linkage that is just giving the impression of an issue?

Plastic bushing? Located on the ball of the pivot. You’ll need to remove the stick to see if the part needs to be replaced.

Can engine oil leak into the tranny somehow?

Yes, its not uncommon. The seal between the gearbox and transfer case leaks and the oil can migrate uphill. The cheap fix is a bypass hose.
The permanent fix is a $trip down.
By pass hose works great. It goes into the thread on the filler hole on the gearbox to the t/case and the oil runs down hill.
Just put in "landcruiser gearbox by pass hose" into google, there are plenty for sale. I would prefer one with a pressed splice rather that hose clamps
oilreturnkit.jpg

Thanks both - I have GL-4 in both t-case and tranny, so while it looks like a little bit of fluid migrated back into the tranny (i.e tranny is full if not slightly overfull), I wouldn't think GL-4 would break itself down. My only point of reference to breakdown of fluid is hearing that if you mix certain dissimilar oils they can lose viscosity.

@SuperDuperCruizer any tips on removing the stick? Things looked pretty well sealed off down there .. i'm sure there's a trick. Thanks

There’s a metal retainer at the base of the stick shift. There’s a spring underneath it. You’ll need to rotate while applying pressure downward. I can’t remember if it clockwise or counter-clockwise but I’m able to remove it without any special tool.

any tips on removing the stick? Things looked pretty well sealed off down there

Once you have the rubber boot off, you will see a collar that you push down and rotate, then the gearstick lifts out. Installation is a reversal. I forget which way you turn them, its been awhile. It can be rough on the fingers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom