AC Compressor slipping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the AC compressor replaced in my 03 LX about two months ago. Twice now, while sitting at a stoplight, the AC button has started flashing (this has happened once before since replacing the compressor). I turned it off, and turned it back on when I got up to speed and all was good. I let it run in my driveway for a minute and it kicked back off. That's when I got the camera out and shot this quick video.

At the beginning of the video it is off, then my friend turns it on and it does engage. I'm no expert on AC systems, but it looks like the belt is slipping on the pulley? Any ideas what could be causing this on a new compressor? FWIW, drive and timing belts were changed at the same time as the compressor.

Last edited:
I don't know if yours is slipping or not.

But for close(or longer) to 10 years I would get a flashing AC light(and no AC) if I went down the road it would usually kick back on if I hit the switch, seemed to like to get warmed up as well. I checked the refrigerant and all was good, changed out the relay, 2x) . I assumed I was looking a new compressor as there is something inside that could cause this issue/symptom ......but kept putting off the spending 1K

So this fall I opened the hood, looked down at the electrical connection to the Compression and pushed(almost more like a light touch) on it(didn't even undo it) I assumed I did nothing and had zero expectations. But its been 6 months and my AC hasn't kicked off one single time, no flashing light....just working AC. AFAIK that connector had never been apart, so why it started doing this 10+ years ago I have no idea. I guess the connections just were not making a good enough connection, but it was good enough that the AC worked most the time. Part of me whats to take the connection apart, clean it etc........but the smart part of me says......."DON'T" (hey dummy its working, why mess with it)

looks like an issue with the clutch, if you got a new compressor and clutch it may not have been shimmed properly to set the correct clutch gap. gap to small = compressor running all the time, gap to big = slipping clutch and possibly poor ac performance. if you had the work done at a shop you should have them look at it again

looks like an issue with the clutch, if you got a new compressor and clutch it may not have been shimmed properly to set the correct clutch gap. gap to small = compressor running all the time, gap to big = slipping clutch and possibly poor ac performance. if you had the work done at a shop you should have them look at it again

^^^^^ agree with this. Have the air-gap checked on the compressor clutch.

Thanks. The shop is about 3 hours away, is this something I could check and/or fix myself?

Absolutely. We just need to know what compressor model you have installed...so we can look up the recommended air gap and check the procedure for adjusting it (most use a simple washer/shim).

Checking the air gap is easily done with a set of feeler gauges (inexpensive to purchase).

Absolutely. We just need to know what compressor model you have installed...so we can look up the recommended air gap and check the procedure for adjusting it (most use a simple washer/shim).

Checking the air gap is easily done with a set of feeler gauges (inexpensive to purchase).
Sorry for the late response, just heard back from the guy who put it on - it's a Denso compressor

I'd just add a spacer (washer) at a time until it no longer touches the pulley.

Oddly enough after washing some caked on mud off, and fiddling with the connector, my a/c has been flawless. I've driven the truck every day trying to stress the system so maybe it was just a loose connection? *knocks on wood*

After a new serpentine belt, the problem has resurfaced :bang:

Pull the electrical connector. Test to see what your voltage is there. Clean if necessary (easy spot to get oil accumulation). IF the voltage is correct, re-connect the harness using a dab of dielectric grease. Check to see that you have no oil on the magnetic clutch.

Check the air gap. You should have a Denso 10PA20C (471-1220) compressor. Air gap should be about .020" IIRC. Check with a set of feeler gauges in three places (roughly 120° apart). IF your air gap is too large the clutch will slip.

There are various size 'shims' available to adjust air gap. But it should have been correct from the factory (should)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom