Looking for Advice Here... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have gone through numerous Rovers and a Cruiser. I loved my BJ60 but that market has exploded to the point where even if I wanted to, I could not purchase anything even remotely close to what I had.

I have been looking for a good family friendly truck for a mild build for some time. I do not like the fit of the 4Runner (not enough headroom) and the Sequoia is too large. There is nothing else on the market that appeals to me so I am looking into the GX470. I am shopping for them as we speak. I need something that will be able to tow a 2k pound dry trailer and have a good amount of aftermarket for easy upfit to camp. The GX seems to fit the bill.

What I have found is an '03. It is that stunning :rofl: shade of Lexus gold/ beige. It has 143k miles on it with the belt and pump done at 111k. Dash is cracked around the center stack (I guess the previous owner did not know about the repair). The underside is decently clean. It was a NC truck until a couple years ago where it moved to PA (unfortunately) and all of its salty, wintry goodness. Carfax is clean showing 4 owners and no real issues. I know it has the 'weaker' engine but also does not have the pump issue. It has no NAV and I do not think that it has KDSS. Seems like about as simple of a GX as one can find and a good place to build off of. I am checking on the 'clunk' from the driveshaft (nothing records wise indicates that has been done)

Besides what is listed in the 'what to look for', is there anything else to check for? Anything else that can be considered important to look at? It is sub $10k which is comfortably in my price window leaving money for PM if needed, and also, oddly enough, coming in at a cheaper price than a similar V8 T4R.

So, what say ye, fellow 'Mud members?

Buy it... sounds like an ideal start.

I got some more details on the truck. What the hell happens to these dash panels? This has more than a crack around the center stack but these little spider cracks all over the face of the passengers side with one spot where the cover has actually broken off. I read about a recall but it seems to have ended leaving me with no real options there. Has anyone done a replacement themselves? Ive seen cars that have sat in junkyards for decades with better dashes than this...

You maybe, just maybe, could call around all the Lexus dealerships in a tristate area and possibly find one with a dash. Or maybe one willing to search the database for a dash. Just maybe.

Also, you may be able to replace everything with a 4Runner dash.

I have gone through numerous Rovers and a Cruiser. I loved my BJ60 but that market has exploded to the point where even if I wanted to, I could not purchase anything even remotely close to what I had.

I have been looking for a good family friendly truck for a mild build for some time. I do not like the fit of the 4Runner (not enough headroom) and the Sequoia is too large. There is nothing else on the market that appeals to me so I am looking into the GX470. I am shopping for them as we speak. I need something that will be able to tow a 2k pound dry trailer and have a good amount of aftermarket for easy upfit to camp. The GX seems to fit the bill.

What I have found is an '03. It is that stunning :rofl: shade of Lexus gold/ beige. It has 143k miles on it with the belt and pump done at 111k. Dash is cracked around the center stack (I guess the previous owner did not know about the repair). The underside is decently clean. It was a NC truck until a couple years ago where it moved to PA (unfortunately) and all of its salty, wintry goodness. Carfax is clean showing 4 owners and no real issues. I know it has the 'weaker' engine but also does not have the pump issue. It has no NAV and I do not think that it has KDSS. Seems like about as simple of a GX as one can find and a good place to build off of. I am checking on the 'clunk' from the driveshaft (nothing records wise indicates that has been done)

Besides what is listed in the 'what to look for', is there anything else to check for? Anything else that can be considered important to look at? It is sub $10k which is comfortably in my price window leaving money for PM if needed, and also, oddly enough, coming in at a cheaper price than a similar V8 T4R.

So, what say ye, fellow 'Mud members?
Mine is exactly the same spec (which actually suits the truck pretty well IMO), but yours has less miles, no nav (good for you), and KDSS wasn't an option until '04 I believe. I can't recommend it enough. Go for it!

"weaker" engine indeed. Not really! You will barely notice the power difference if you have it tuned properly. Mine is an 03 and it has been plenty of power. I am adding a valve body to the trans and run 4.56s and I can still giddy up quite well.

You maybe, just maybe, could call around all the Lexus dealerships in a tristate area and possibly find one with a dash. Or maybe one willing to search the database for a dash. Just maybe.

Also, you may be able to replace everything with a 4Runner dash.

I've never been that lucky so I'll just have to chalk it up to a loss on my part. I guess I can throw a cover on it until I get annoyed enough to undertake a replacement.

How can I check to make sure that the diff actuator is still working as it should? My experience is mostly with part time cases. My Rover had a center diff lock but I never used it since I had Detroit's in the front and rear.

If you pull the handbrake without the center locked it should pull the rear tires. If it locks it should bind up. Unless I’m confused. I haven’t tried this but it does behave differently when engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom