Gas Tank Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dont know who out there may have had rust issues but I have to tell you it has been a real experience. My son and I just finished rebuilding an 84 FJ60 that was left in a garage for work and ended up with about 1/2 the work done and in storage for over 2 years. I wont even get into the unfinished things we found, BUT after we did the final stuff and launched it, it ran great for about 50 miles and we found that the new fuel filter was full of brown junk. Long story short, after 4 filters we pulled the tank to get it flushed and coated. On inspection, it was pretty rusty inside. Took it to a reputable local Radiator shop ( that just did the radiator for us) who looked at it and said he can boil it out inside down to the bare metal but he cant coat it because it has too many baffles so it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to coat it properly. His advice was to either keep it completely full, or completely empty in the future.

My question: Does anyone out there know of another coating fix OR am I good with the cleaned out tank to go without coating?? Or any other ideas?

Got to tell you, that gas tank STUNK to high heaven. I took it to the radiator shop in my 88 FJ and my car still stinks inside now. (hope that goes away)

Anyway, Thanks up front
chip

Kreem | Fuel Tank Liner

this was recommended to my by a friend when I had to send my tank out for repair. I ended up not coating the inside due to cost and I wasn't totally sue that I woudnt be buying a tank shortly down the road if it was unable to be repaired

oops got wrong post. I would reseal it with tank sealer and if any rust breaks off the filter will catch it. might want to replace gas filter every so often. See if classifieds might have one for sale.

A raw steel, uncoated gas tank will rust out in no time. Water will condense on the walls every evening and settle to the bottom - and collect on the bottom- and rust it out lickety split.

Eastwood makes very good coatings and metal prep (from what I've read).
I used their motorcoater engine paint on my cylinder head. Holy cow it was/is great paint. I haven't tried any of their other stuff, but you might want to check their products out. Their tank sealing kit is probably really good stuff.

Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer & Gas Tank Sealer Kits

I had a similar issue and cleaned it the best I could myself then took it to a radiator shop, who boiled it out and used a product called “red kote” it’s made for this. They did mention the baffles but feel they got it costed well. I did put another filter in front of my factory one to catch any junk. It runs clean now
image.jpg
I do try to run nonethenol as much as possible as it’s the devil ..and I try to keep the tank full if it’s going to be sitting any length of time.

I used Red-Kote in Harley aftermarket gas tank it was recommended on several forums as the stuff to use. Works real well, make sure you read the instructions. I let mine dry for a few days and it has never leaked and still looks nice and clean inside after draining it for the winter.

Yeah, this one is a tuffy. You are right about the rust coming back in no time. I will check out the Eastwood and Red Kote. THANKS!!!

Does anyone have experience using a YJ (Jeep) tank in an FJ? I have a ‘70 FJ and per the norm, it doesn’t hold. I am not interested in paying $500 for a new tank when I can get a YJ tank for 1/4 of the price or less. I thought I read the YJ tank fits, but can’t find the post now. I have a can of Red Kote here now, but I think I’m going to cut the bottom off and weld in new metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom