wind deflector for sun roof.. anyone tried one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
despite my repeated attempts to restore proper function of my 1995 LC sun roof. its still noisy as heck when driving on the interstate at 70 mph or more. I noticed that my LC does not have a wind deflector as most cars with sunroofs do..there are a few generic ones on E-bay that may fit for under $45. if it works its well worth it. Has anyone tried this? if so which one did you get and did it help with the noise. thanks

I’ve got one, came with the truck... the only wind noise I get is from the rack when the wind gusts...

I’d say give it a shot...

I had one on my last LC and it worked well. Seemed to be OEM. Made a huge difference with a roof rack on there. My current LX450 didn’t come with one so I’d be curious with what you come up with.

Mine came with the factory one and it definitely made it more quiet both with the sunroof open and closed. Only thing I didn't like was it collected pollen and pine needles and when water went under it, it just sat there and didn't seem to drain. Also left indents in the molding or sash however you want to call it around the sunroof glass. I like the look and function of the factory one, it didn't even leave marks on my paint like the factory roof rack did. I just wish it was alittle better. I'll sell you mine if you're interested

Mine had a factory one up until January when I removed it for some minor body work. I've held on to it and have thought about putting it back on, but haven't yet. It rubbed through the factory paint over 20 years, so that's a consideration. I haven't noticed much difference in noise, but then I never drive with the sunroof open. The factory ones have Toyota molded into the tinted plastic. I'm sure there are a few kicking around.

Last edited:
I just took mine off because I didn't like the looks of it. Here's what I found underneath. The worst area is on the drivers side where it took the paint off - thankfully no rust. Looks like I have another project on my hands. Any suggestions on where I can get some OEM touch up paint? 2AB is the color I need. I waxed that area to protect it until I can acquire some paint - maybe I shouldn't have messed with it.

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Mine did the same as @Tradbowcruiser. My cruiser - also white, coincidentally - went into the body shop to repair a small spot of rust at the top of the windshield gasket, so I had them respray the section of the roof between the windshield and the sunroof at the same time. Looks perfect now, and that "Toyota" wind deflector is never going back on.

I will say that its still in great shape. I'd let it go cheap if someone wanted it and was willing to pay the shipping. Come to think of it, I have the matching bug deflector too. :confused:

My '94 came with both OEM deflectors, hood & sun roof. Hood one has saved my windshield at least once. Sun roof one helps to silence the wind noise, except for the wind noise from RTT and Yakima roof rack. As for the paint chafing that has occured under the sun roof wind deflector, that's easily fixed and if not, who the hell can see it up there anyway, if you let it go for a while. It's not going to leak or rust through like the OEM roof racks & rear spoilers have. I'd say the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. IMHO, get & install both if you get the chance.

Only thing I didn't like about mine was that it left indents in the glass seal and it collected pine needles and pollen like crazy. with no real drains for water it makes for a soupy mess when you go to wash your vehicle. That's the only reason I removed mine, I noticed the indents after I took it off. I too would love to get rid of mine if someone wants to pay some plus shipping

I removed the wind deflector after a few weeks because it made ZERO decrease in wind noise. I used box tape over the edges of the sun roof = significant decrease in noise on my 1100mile road trip. Cheap, effective and remove able. Until I figure out a proper fix. The links above were way to vague for me to figure out unfortunately I need more pics or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom