Replacing coax cable on antenna 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can you replace the coax cable on the antenna or can you swap the actual motor over to a non working motor?

No and yes

The coaxial cable No , its a solid 1 piece assy.

The motor yes , it has 2-4 #2 JDM Phillips head screws attaching the housing to the main body of the unit

The antenna mast itself is replaceable Via the star bolt atop the fender , if that's what U were referring to

denso pic - Copy.jpg

Coax is attached to the motor assembly. If you decide to pull it, attach a fish tape of some kind to the plug end of the coax in the cabin so it pulls it back through the path you remove it from as you go. There 's a 90 degree turn as it leaves the cabin and goes into the fender that is very difficult to replumb without the fish tape being in place.

Are you sure the motor is dead? Usually, it's the mast that is trashed and it's replaceable. You could possibly have a control issue, too. Are you still running the stock head unit or something replace it? It could be a matter of just connecting the right wire to get it working again.

I understand how it works. I'm asking if you can replace just the motor or coax independent. I cut my coax last night because I was fed up and didn't want to pull the snorkel or fender.

Cutting the coax just made the job twice as hard, just saying. Now you'll need the entire assembly, as the coax is part of that. You may be able to rob the coax part off a used motor assembly. I don't think it's sold separately, but if it is that would be another route.

With no fish tape laid in, you may very well have to pull the fender. to get it back inside via the factory route. Others have done that, but some have managed to return it to the cabin without that extreme measure. YMMV.

Cutting the coax just made the job twice as hard, just saying. Now you'll need the entire assembly, as the coax is part of that. You may be able to rob the coax part off a used motor assembly. I don't think it's sold separately, but if it is that would be another route.

With no fish tape laid in, you may very well have to pull the fender. to get it back inside via the factory route. Others have done that, but some have managed to return it to the cabin without that extreme measure. YMMV.

I already have a new assembly and putting the new cable through the grommet was easy. I'm not asking for opinions on how hard the job is or the process.

The OEM cable has a short (maybe 3 inch) pigtail which is connected to the antenna lead with a coax connector. You can repair the break with another connector.

I am looking for a source for the OEM connector myself. One of my 80s has lost its connector.

I will post of picture for you if that will help, but it will have to be later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom