New Oil Pump - Notchy feel - Peace of Mind Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy All,
Getting closer to first start up after complete 2F rebuild. Build included new oil pump. I put oil in yesterday and did an initial prime by hand (rotating pump with screwdriver via the dizzy hole). I have not put the drill to it yet. Oil was immediately present at oil filter base so I installed the filter and continued to turn by hand. As the system began to fill and some pressure built, I bean to feel notchy feeling like the pump gears meshing. Smooth but noticeable tighter spots - 6 or 7 per spots per shaft revolution. Side note: I was actually able to register oil pressure at the gauge just by hand turning - surprised me. I have done research and while it is not mentioned a lot, I did find a few other references and questions about this same notchy resistance with a new pump (not just Toyota). Some say normal, others not. Some look for burrs on gears, replace pump, file the gears, freak out, etc.
So the main question is: Has anyone also experienced this and is it ok/normal under these conditions? Is it just pump gears needing to settle in or normal feel when slowly rotating a pump that is doing it's job. Note: Other research comments note as I did that the pump turned smoothly and without resistance prior to installation and oil fill.
Thanks for any insight!
Mark

I have never noticed the "notchy feeling" when rotating an oil pump, but if you didn't have the notchy resistance until you put the oil to it, then I would guess it is a natural result of the pumping action of the oil pump. Burred vanes etc should have shown up upon inspection before assembling the unit.

Thanks Doug. Agree. Still.... I have sent email to ITM service dept (the engine kit/pump mfg) to see if normal. I did look at the gears in the old pump and there are 7 teeth. I feel 7 notches per each revolution on the new one so I am thinking it is just pressure between teeth with the oil squeeze. If anyone has experienced the same thing please let me know. I bought this rig in bad shape with intent to restore but as it is an FJ40 - it DID run - even on old gas - and even after sitting for years and with rusted cylinders. The original pump screen was entirely clogged with sludge, the pump and bearings had starved. Amazing machines. This one is getting a new life :).

Based on your description, sure sounds like line pressure resistance at the time each lobe contributes its 'volume' to the output line.

Good luck on the overhaul. These things are plenty tough if you don't over-rev them too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom