A coupla days away bush........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day Fella's,

I wanted to scout out some new Deer (Sambar Deer) huntin country, a little closer to home, before the main and cooler (less snakes) winter hunting season.
So I headed south from home (1 1/2 hours) and then west (1 hour +), up over the main dividing range (1860 meters/ ???? ft) at Dead Horse Gap, and then down to and over the border into the state of Victoria's alpine region, of South-East Australia (aka-Oz).
This is some of the highest country in Oz and is both spectacular and rugged in places but lucky for us blokes, it has 4WD fire trails, etc (to give bush fire fighters, access to the areas), all over the place.
Most tracks are in good order but some are a bit rough in places.
So with the Battle Cruiser (BC) loaded up with whats required, I started making tracks....... here's some images.
The first thing, was to cross the Murray River.
This was at the locality of "Tom Groggin", and from the state of New South Wales (NSW), into the state of Victoria (aka-Mexico, "South of the border, down Mexico way"), where the Deer are more common and wide spread.
The entry into the river crossing was good as was the depth of the river (maybe 0.5 meters or 20") but the exit was a bit rough. But with BC in 1st gear, low range, it was almost easy.

Stay tuned..........
Homer

In the Murray River (aka the "Rio Grande"...... if you know what I mean LOL!).
DSCN2355.JPG

From the "Mexican" side, looking back to the crossing entry point.
DSCN2358.JPG

The view of the exit, from above and below.
DSCN2357.JPG

There's BC, at the top.
DSCN2359.JPG

"You are Here"
DSCN2360.JPG

Last edited:
G'Day Again,

The track away from the Tom Groggin river crossing, was pretty good, except for one steep, rough section.
I meant to get a few images of this same rough section, but when I reached the top of it, there were eventually five motor bike riders, waiting for me to get out of the way.
These young Fulla's (thats Queensland for Fella's), had ridden there dirt bikes, all the way from the other eastern Australia state, of Queensland (a 20+ hour undertaking in a car). They were on there way to the Murray River crossing, then north to Khancoban, south to Bright and then back north via Dubbo, to home. A major undertaking on dirt bikes!
Anyway, by the time I finished "Chewing the Fat" with these Fulla's, I forgot about taking some photo's of this part of the track............... D'oh!

So here is some more images of the bush, and my camps around these parts;

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN2373.JPG

DSCN2374.JPG

DSCN2385.JPG

DSCN2384.JPG

DSCN2376.JPG

I'm always curious, but what's the daily high temp there in mid March?
I'm afraid to go to Australia...Cause I'd probably not come back home.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank you Sirlongrod.

Here are some more images of this trip.

Another/different river crossing, but again, with low levels and slow water flow.
DSCN2387 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2386.JPG

DSCN2368.JPG

Some camp visitors...............
DSCN2407.JPG

The same river crossing, but coming back from the other direction.
DSCN2389.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
Looks awesome. We actually have a large island in the panhandle of Florida that has a fairly large herd of sambar deer. They were imported here in the early 1900's by some locals. The island is now a national wildlife refuge and they annually host a hunt.

G'Day JM Lockwood,

Yes mate, I was aware of the Florida herd of Sambar.
I think it was a US Game Biologist (it may have been Brian Murphy?) that was visiting Down Under years ago, that brought their existence to my attention.
Good to hear, they are still OK (and not considered a Feral Pest), and being correctly managed (via Hunting).

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Here are some more images of this trip.

These first two images, are of the main dividing range (the highest peaks on the Australian continent), up to 2,223 meters (7,000 ish feet).
DSCN2399.JPG

DSCN2405.JPG

Back on the black top, on a bridge over Swampy Plains River
DSCN2406.JPG

Time for a Hot Shower
DSCN2451.JPG

A high country sunset.
DSCN2430.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

Are there roads up into the peaks? Amazing beautiful country. I assume its a dry heat,
that would take some getting used to. Thanks for the pics. J

G'Day Fella's,

Yes Cruiser Pilot but this area is now a National Park, so driving on them, is frowned upon (big barrier gates, etc) and illegal.
But back in the good old days (LOL! before the green slime started running our country), they used to run tour buses to the top of Mt Kosciusko (the highest peak in Oz).
The track to the top is still there.

Regards
Homer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom